Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Nothing left to check?  VP 5.7GSI wont start - good fuel pressure, good ecm, wiring >

Nothing left to check? VP 5.7GSI wont start - good fuel pressure, good ecm, wiring

Notices

Nothing left to check? VP 5.7GSI wont start - good fuel pressure, good ecm, wiring

Old 05-29-2015, 03:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Matt. I will get those now.
Old 05-29-2015, 04:04 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

or NGK BPR6EFS stock # 3623 and gapped at .045

or Champion RS12YC-4 gapped at .040 or .045

I already know people are going say they would nt use champion spark plugs in their lawn mower. Actually the Champion plugs work well in the stock production marine Carb apps with their projected nose tip.
Old 05-29-2015, 06:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
or NGK BPR6EFS stock # 3623 and gapped at .045

or Champion RS12YC-4 gapped at .040 or .045

I already know people are going say they would nt use champion spark plugs in their lawn mower. Actually the Champion plugs work well in the stock production marine Carb apps with their projected nose tip.
From stunning brilliance to utter well "champion spark plugs..."
Old 05-29-2015, 08:53 PM
BUP
Banned

Thanks for the compliment.

OMC sterndrives and Volvo Penta were the exact same engines offered in the marine world during Dec 1993 thru Dec 1998. They shared the exact same parts 100 % across the board - the exact same service training manuals and so on and so on. Anyways sometimes you have believe what I post.

OMC always recommended Champion spark plugs and especially for their outboard engines and ignition set ups. OMC - Johnson . & Evinrude outboards would run better with Champion spark plugs because they offered less resistance compared to NGK - for optimizing their ignition systems and output.

Anyways here is the a Service Bulletin from OMC Sterndrives / Volvo Penta BY models 1998 Gi fuel injected models also they had the same service bulletins for their carb apps especially for the 4.3 - V-6 - just saying.

link below. Read it and of course us dealers had to follow OEM protocol - especially to keep all warranties intact.The service bulletin explains that as well. OMC and Volvo had nothing to gain for their engines to use Champion spark plugs except according to their testing losses due to warranty issues when other brand spark plugs were used.

http://marinemechanic.com/omc/no-4174.htm

Last edited by BUP; 05-29-2015 at 09:06 PM.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:00 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,329 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Bup - what did they want instead ? Heat range 42's ?
ie: one step colder ?
Old 05-29-2015, 09:16 PM
Registered

I'll read that in the morning with my coffee. Currently cleaning my engine compartment. I didn't take her for a ride but she sounds pretty good.

Unfortunately I tried to save some money on the timing cover by going aftermarket... I'm eating that decision now lol. The timing chain sounds like it was slightly rubbing for a minute or two. But whatever I'll fix it.

More info tomorrow.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:40 PM
BUP
Banned

SB - OMC mainly recommended the Champion spark plugs only . Volvo Penta on the 5.0 Gi only recommended champion spark plugs rv12yc again ONLY - no other spark plug for that with Vortec heads. Volvo - with the 4.3 carb app - use Champion spark plugs.

. Volvo other recommendations depending on the cylinder heads was AC MR43LTS Vortec heads and AC MR43T- Non Vortec heads and of course Volvo across the board was Champion spark plugs RS12YC Vortec heads or RV15YC -4 for Non Vortec heads.

OMC had other service bulletins about misfires especaailly for the 4.3 L and said you have to USE the champion spark plugs - heat range and less resistance of the spark plug was in their mix of the Service Bulletin as well for a jist of it.

Again Volvo Penta and OMC Sterndrives was the exact same engine Dec 1993 thru Dec 1998. No difference other a slight shade of paint of the outdrive and engine here and there , some labeling on the outdrive and engine and the motor oil recommendations .

we were OMC Sterndrive, Volvo Penta , Mercruiser, Merc, Johnson & Evinrude certified and I had a master certified tech back then. Master cert back then was the chits in the marine industry. I am NOT MASTER Certified but can hold my own if needed or least I think in my own mind that I can.- LOL

We were just trained (no certs) on the Yamaha Sterndrives as well back in the mid 90's
Old 05-29-2015, 10:16 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bup.. John, you are an absolute encyclopedia, just amazing! You and the rest of the posters in this thread have tossed out so much great information to anyone struggling with issues.
Congratulations nunnink for hanging in there , happy boating! You've earned it.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB
Bup - what did they want instead ? Heat range 42's ?
ie: one step colder ?
More than probably
Old 05-29-2015, 10:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by buck35
Bup.. John, you are an absolute encyclopedia, just amazing! You and the rest of the posters in this thread have tossed out so much great information to anyone struggling with issues.
Congratulations nunnink for hanging in there , happy boating! You've earned it.
Thanks! But seriously I owe my thanks to everyone who contributed.

And I have tons of information now to consolidate and post about both mefi IV conversions, and "rare" volvo Penta tbi injector setups

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.