Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Nothing left to check?  VP 5.7GSI wont start - good fuel pressure, good ecm, wiring >

Nothing left to check? VP 5.7GSI wont start - good fuel pressure, good ecm, wiring

Notices

Nothing left to check? VP 5.7GSI wont start - good fuel pressure, good ecm, wiring

Old 05-31-2015, 05:22 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Actually they are good oil filters to. .
Old 05-31-2015, 05:27 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,177 Likes on 1,433 Posts

Are the other guages doing it to ? If so, check main leads at dash and back in engine compartment.

If just oil psi gauge (+mechanical guage shows fine -) ck it's + / - connections, connection back at sender.

If okay, you could have schit in the sender.Not un common after a not so clean rebuild.Silicone / dirt / smegma ...LOL. The hole in the sender is tiny and easy to plug. Do not use teflon tape on fittings. Use Permatex 4 or equivalent thread sealer.
Old 05-31-2015, 05:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

True. I feel like oil pressure couldn't possibly fluctuate that quickly. It just doesn't seem possible.
Old 05-31-2015, 05:36 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,177 Likes on 1,433 Posts

So,how did the rest of the run go ? Did you try the original injectors ? Oil leak taken care of ?
Old 05-31-2015, 06:03 PM
Registered

Oil leak is thankfully taken care of it seems. My power steering pump is leaking a bit, which I expected. I know it's an automotive pump, but i just need to figure out which one, since the pressure relief valve may be different.

The engine runs as good as a TBI engine could run. It responds really nice from lower RPM's. Unfortunately just like last year, if I am around 4000 and peg it, it just seems to fall on its face. It barely increases in rpm. It's mostly a function of the boat I think. It's heavy and underpowered. If I accelerate from lower rpm's it seems better. Tbi's are not the best I guess.

It peaks out at 5000 rpm with the tabs up and trimmed high. Sounds really healthy.

Nothing wrong with the original injectors. I did notice that the first few times I turned the key on after putting them in, fuel sprayed out of the Injectors without me cranking it. But I assume that's due to them being dry or something. Since then it doesn't do that.

Once I am 100% sure my oil pressure isn't actually dropping to zero randomly, I will take her on a long ride to Long Island.

Really happy to be able to turn the key and hear her roar to life.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:13 PM
BUP
Banned

I have a story - anyways its up online now - the magazine copies has been out for the while so I thought I would post it especially on this thread. Always my articles are in the back of the magazine. I guess they save the best for last - LOL

story is about fuel injectors and tab bit about servicing them. flip thru if you like.

http://www.emconsultinginc.com/Digit...h/Spring_2015/
Old 06-01-2015, 06:19 PM
BUP
Banned

Funny the first page of my story has a pic is a TBI system years ago that is the same as Matts = OP here. how coincidental is that.
click on the link

http://www.emconsultinginc.com/Digit...pring_2015/#18
Old 06-01-2015, 07:07 PM
Registered

Great article! I didn't know direct injection is coming out this year. That will be very interesting.

I wish we didn't have two days of rain here... I want to make sure my damn oil pressure is okay, and not dropping to zero. If it was my engine is already toast anyway.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
Funny the first page of my story has a pic is a TBI system years ago that is the same as Matts = OP here. how coincidental is that.
click on the link

http://www.emconsultinginc.com/Digit...pring_2015/#18
That is good humor...this could read a story with in a story there are thousands of marine tbi system's out there right now that can no longer be supported with the proper
part's. I don't believe the right replacement injector were ever truly found as of yet, i would be stunned if the 11's are the correct injector...Nun why dont you try both sets of injectors now that you have a running system it might pay off handsomely for some poor unsuspecting soul in the future if you know what i mean..

And speaking of oil pressure did you know your ecm is not turned on to report a possible failure that is one of the reasons why this issue went so far, had it been turned on the bad wiring would have alerted you to a possible failure.Bottom right hand corner

Last edited by Pliant; 06-01-2015 at 07:25 PM.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:32 PM
Registered

I know, and that's why I need to fix that pin. For now I just disconnected it, because I am terribly afraid of opening up the J2 harness to move that pin.

Anyone know off hand what thread size the engine oil pressure sender is? I was planning on tapping my gauge into that, so I can view my mechanical pressure at the same time that the gauge reads Zero.

Edit: I can try the TJ 11's before I send them back. It's the least I can do to help somebody else out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.