Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Nothing left to check?  VP 5.7GSI wont start - good fuel pressure, good ecm, wiring >

Nothing left to check? VP 5.7GSI wont start - good fuel pressure, good ecm, wiring

Notices

Nothing left to check? VP 5.7GSI wont start - good fuel pressure, good ecm, wiring

Old 05-09-2015, 06:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will check again tomorrow to see what the voltage drop is when cranking. It certainly has battery voltage at resting state. I will take readings at the battery when cranking, and the injectors when cranking. Previously I just checked it at the injectors.

Btw, found some delightful rot in my wood coring right under the anchor line cover. Idk why they didn't glass over that cutout from the factory. Shoddy craftsmanship. It's a big job to replace, but it's fixable. For now I'm sealing it in and I'll cut it out this fall and repair it. I'll learn how to fit my body inside the anchor locker somehow lol. Probably will remove the bulkhead.

Good news is I can rule injectors out after Wednesday of thjs week thanks to SB. My Marina could have applied 12v to them, I'm not sure. But there was no change in the condition before and after I gave them to the Marina, so I don't think they did.
Old 05-09-2015, 06:51 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

What boat brand and model do you have ? I really do not think it was ever mentioned
Old 05-09-2015, 07:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
What boat brand and model do you have ? I really do not think it was ever mentioned
http://boatinfo.no/lib/volvo/manuals/ef_wiring.html#/12

Open the boat info link that should be his schematic for engine hardware hes just running a mefi 4 and he has also put in a new crank position timer... 2000 248 Vista with a 5.7 GSI PEFS

Last edited by Pliant; 05-09-2015 at 07:21 PM.
Old 05-09-2015, 07:29 PM
Registered

I don't have a very impressive boat Just a 2000 Four Winns 248 Vista. Doesn't really fit in here. I have a SHO Waverunner to blast around on. Hopefully after grad school I can get a power boat while fuel is still really cheap.

I was told Four Winns built solid hulls, but I was very disappointed in three main things. The cutout for the anchor line guide was not glassed over, it was left 100% exposed, and to make matters worse, the metal guide doesnt cover the hole all the way through. So every time you pull in the anchor line, the wood coring gets wet. The same problem exists under the porthole, which started leaking at one point since the wood coring is a bit wet around the porthole. Third was the sparse use of silicone on below the water line hardware. I replaced all the below the line hardware this year, and it was quite frustrating to see how much water had gotten past those screws. Thankfully I caught it before it could do any damage, and it dried out nicely. Off topic, but does anyone have an opinion of Four Winns? I wouldn't be offended if somebody told me it was a poorly made brand.

Video info: I took the video right after I had it running for a few seconds on fuel I poured in. Don't let the engine firing a few times fool you. It will do that after I pour fuel in for a few crank cycles, then nothing will happen. After the first crank cycle, which I attempted to show everyone the injectors spraying, I poured a tiny bit of fuel on one butterfly. Then it started right up for a second or two until it ran out of fuel.

BTW - you can hear the initial two beeps that the alarm gives when the key is turned on. Maybe 1 out of 10 times it wont, but I think the alarm is going bad.

If anyone wants I can get a better video of the injectors spraying in the morning when the sun is behind the clouds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOppKdaVMuU&feature=youtu.be

Last edited by nunnink23; 05-09-2015 at 07:37 PM.
Old 05-09-2015, 07:32 PM
BUP
Banned

I was asking about the boat hull and model of the brand. Not the engine side because the OP brought up about wood rot and poor construction.

I have all the Volvo Penta manuals from 1994 to their current last book form and a dealer for Volvo plus been to many of their training classes since the 90's. Just saying. . The reason the OP had to go to MEFI 4 is because MEFI 3 thru the OEMS is NLA hence the wiring harness conversion adaptor and MEFI 4 ECM.

Volvo Penta EFI / MPI engines used MEFI 1 , MEFI 3 and MEFI 4, - they never used MEFI 2
In late 2004 Volvo Penta went to E controls ECM's based in San Antonio Texas. just some added info.
Old 05-09-2015, 08:05 PM
BUP
Banned

watched your vid can you show were your fuel pressure gauge is all hooked to - just asking. Your fuel pump sounds to be normal cycling. Your injector sprary patterns are bad and weak.

the ECM supplies 5 v and 12 V to those sensor requiring those volts to power them. All of it is performed through resistance in the ECM - its value is high that a test light will not light when connected to the circuit. Even sometime depending on the volt meter being used it is possible not to get correct readings. Just saying because you asked about it. Use a 10 megohms digital meter or greater input impedance digital meter to receive accurate voltage readings if you are testing voltage specs.

In the starting mode - the ECM checks ECT and TPS to determine how much fuel to send for proper AFR for starting the engine. the ECM - CONTROLS the amount of fuel to deliver for starting by changing how long the injectors are turned on and off. (pulsing the injector(s).

Injectors are normally closed and are operated when the ECM completes a good ground circuit. TBI injectors fire 1 injector on a reference signal and the other injector on the next reference signal.

The next mode is run mode as when the engine just getting started and sees RPM above 300. this is the start of run mode as the ECM will calculate the needed AFR based on inputs from RPMS, MAP, ECT, TPS

IMO you might have an bad ECM and or fuel injector(s) problems or bad ground(s) even possible bad ground internally of the ECM - either of any or a combo. I really do not care who tested your ECM. Again it might have a bad driver / bad ground internally. You could have bad or weak ground(s) externally also causing your problems.

The injectors swap would really be a very good test to see what happens as I said they could be shorted / bad .

Last edited by BUP; 05-09-2015 at 08:27 PM.
Old 05-09-2015, 08:10 PM
Registered

Agreed. I will take a better video tomorrow and show where the gauge is hooked up. I will also take a video of the voltage drop test, and show the type of meter I am using.

If the new injectors don't solve it, I wonder if I can find somebody with an MEFI III computer, and then plug it into my OLD harness. That would be a dream.

I was worried about my injector drivers originally too. Hopefully the injectors end up being bad for some reason. Who knows.
Old 05-09-2015, 08:15 PM
BUP
Banned

I had to correct some of my reply in post 56 - the mind thinks faster than it can type. possible re read.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:36 PM
Registered

As said your injectors are not firing well. Take a bright neon light and illuminate them and then take a vid, that will slow things down a bit you will be able to see just how bad they are and the darker the surrounding area the greater contrast.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:27 PM
Registered

I didn't have a neon light, and I forgot to take a picture of my fuel pressure setup. I am measuring it at the back of the TBI with an inline fitting though.

Here is a slightly better video. I truly don't know why, but EVERY time it sits overnight it will fire up for a second, then cut right out and never restart. I still have spark, and if I pour fuel in the TBI it will fire back up. I guess the logical answer is that fuel is somehow dripping into the intake overnight, but I don't know where its coming from. The TBI isn't wet or leaking. It's possible that its coming in through the fuel cell overflow line attached below the TBI unit. I just don't know why it would be coming in there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-lizHyR86s&feature=youtu.be

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.