Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Nothing left to check?  VP 5.7GSI wont start - good fuel pressure, good ecm, wiring >

Nothing left to check? VP 5.7GSI wont start - good fuel pressure, good ecm, wiring

Notices

Nothing left to check? VP 5.7GSI wont start - good fuel pressure, good ecm, wiring

Old 05-11-2015, 04:46 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,177 Likes on 1,433 Posts

http://boatinfo.no/lib/volvo/manuals/ef_wiring.html#/12

Someone on this threas provided above link. I looked up the wiring, and yeh, much different than the old vehicle tbi's,as the MEFI's have a lot more capability.
Injectors are on the truck. You'll find out shortly.
Old 05-11-2015, 04:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol I really really REALLY hate being a pessimist. So I will withhold my comment until tomorrow. Let's hope it works!
Old 05-11-2015, 04:54 PM
SB
Registered

I put a few extra top gaskets in for you......plus instructions.
Old 05-11-2015, 04:56 PM
Registered

Thank you! I have had that thing apart 6 times now, and each time I made sure I'm not missing anything. Hope the 7th time is the last lol.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:52 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

The link for the wiring diagram above is the exact showing for 5.0 GI and 5.7 GSI model ID and should be yours as well

Volvo Penta model # 57GSiPEFS and 50GiPEFS

You boat started up with poured gas down the TB and sounded like it was firing OK for the 3 seconds it ran so IMO the ignition set up is OK.. But will ask you do have a tach reading when it did pop off ??

IMO problem lies with Injectors if not possible ECM or related to it as what I posted before.

IMO will say your scenario as guessing totally on my part. At the beginning I believe your fuel system was not primed and or 100 % fully hence THE no start. You did some parts changing and Self testing - Still no start - then had SOMEONE double / triple check the injectors, possible doing so someone checking them out afterwards jacked them up supplying 12 V and or homemade testing. You finally got the fuel system fully primed - threw the now bad injectors back in and are dealing with what happened from those effects since then - still no start or a very brief start then stall.

Last edited by BUP; 05-11-2015 at 11:02 PM.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:47 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
The link for the wiring diagram above is the exact showing for 5.0 GI and 5.7 GSI model ID and should be yours as well

Volvo Penta model # 57GSiPEFS and 50GiPEFS

You boat started up with poured gas down the TB and sounded like it was firing OK for the 3 seconds it ran so IMO the ignition set up is OK.. But will ask you do have a tach reading when it did pop off ??

IMO problem lies with Injectors if not possible ECM or related to it as what I posted before.

IMO will say your scenario as guessing totally on my part. At the beginning I believe your fuel system was not primed and or 100 % fully hence THE no start. You did some parts changing and Self testing - Still no start - then had SOMEONE double / triple check the injectors, possible doing so someone checking them out afterwards jacked them up supplying 12 V and or homemade testing. You finally got the fuel system fully primed - threw the now bad injectors back in and are dealing with what happened from those effects since then - still no start or a very brief start then stall.
It's funny you mentioned the tach. I have to see if I'm getting a tach reading. One thing I forgot to mention is that while cranking my speedometer goes biserk and bounces from 0-20 mph. Maybe my gauge is just shot though, since the trim gauge died too. I will check that out tonight. There's only one way to connect the main boat harness to the engine, so it's not backwards.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:56 PM
Registered

It just keeps getting stranger guys. When I put the new injectors in, something certainly changed. The engine will start after extended periods of cranking, but never stays running. If I coax it with some throttle, especially once I hear it kick, she will start every one in a while, and I managed to keep it running for a few seconds once. I put the muffs on the engine at this point, since I thought I could force it to stay running, but I just can't keep it running. The longest I had it running was 10 seconds after throttling it up to 2000 rpm. she surged and died when I brought it back down to idle. Still no codes.

Fuel pressure is steady 30 psi and I'm certain I have good fuel. What the hell is going on? Just to recap, here is what's been replaced:

Map sensor
Coolant temp sensor
Fuel injectors
Ignition coil

I have a new ignition module coming tomorrow morning, since the first Sierra one was bad. This is also a Sierra because I couldn't get my money back. I suppose it's possible that this will be the missing piece. The old injectors must have been bad, but they are only a piece of a puzzle it seems.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:59 PM
Registered

Could my distributor timing be off so far that it won't run right? The base spark advance?
Old 05-12-2015, 06:14 PM
SB
Registered

Originally Posted by nunnink23
Could my distributor timing be off so far that it won't run right? The base spark advance?
Most definately.

Timing is everything.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:16 PM
SB
Registered

Put it this way, you can't tune a carb if your timing and/or rest of ignition isn't working correctly....and they aren't plugged into each other. LOL.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.