Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Detonation melted my piston..... but what caused the detonation? >

Detonation melted my piston..... but what caused the detonation?

Notices

Detonation melted my piston..... but what caused the detonation?

Old 05-22-2015, 04:30 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts

With no hydraulic steering, it would cost a few grand to make the boat ready to be fast. I'd buy a good used motor from a reputable seller here and enjoy the boat for the 60-65mph boat it is. When you want to go faster get a faster boat. I see big blocks all the time for $4500 on powerboat swap shop. You might be able to sell off parts on the old motor to offset the cost. Just $.02 from a budget boater.
Old 05-22-2015, 04:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BIGJIM
I would still like to hear about the carb, what size of jets, power valve or blocked. I melted a ring landing myself on a brand new, not rebuilt engine with less than 40 hours. I used the carb off a 496 stroker I built, but jetted up a few sizes I thought. Took it apart and I bumped the rears and put the wrong ones up front and ended up jetting down.
I'll get back to you about that. Haven't torn it apart yet
Originally Posted by 79formula
With no hydraulic steering, it would cost a few grand to make the boat ready to be fast. I'd buy a good used motor from a reputable seller here and enjoy the boat for the 60-65mph boat it is. When you want to go faster get a faster boat. I see big blocks all the time for $4500 on powerboat swap shop. You might be able to sell off parts on the old motor to offset the cost. Just $.02 from a budget boater.
The boat has full single ram hydraulic steering.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:47 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BajaKevin
I'll get back to you about that. Haven't torn it apart yet

The boat has full single ram hydraulic steering.
Sorry, I didn't see a ram on it. I guess its on the other side in the pic.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 79formula
Sorry, I didn't see a ram on it. I guess its on the other side in the pic.
Yea it's on the stbd side of the drive
Old 05-22-2015, 10:18 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll even work with you on the price.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...e-454-bbc.html
Old 05-23-2015, 04:40 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

minneapolis to baltimore is a bit of a hike...
Old 05-23-2015, 05:41 AM
Registered

I really appreciate all the offers of help and willingness to cut me a deal but I'm actually good on an engine.

When I had my Baja I had picked up a seized up stock 454 short block with 4 bolt mains to do a performance build for the Baja. Obviously that never happened and ended up giving it to the guy I bought the Scarab from for some money off the price of the boat. He has agreed to give me my block back.

Now to figure out what kind of pistons to go with for the new build...
Old 05-23-2015, 06:51 AM
Registered

Received 700 Likes on 342 Posts

You'd be far ahead time and money buying a low hour complete take out.
Old 05-23-2015, 07:02 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BajaKevin
I really appreciate all the offers of help and willingness to cut me a deal but I'm actually good on an engine.

When I had my Baja I had picked up a seized up stock 454 short block with 4 bolt mains to do a performance build for the Baja. Obviously that never happened and ended up giving it to the guy I bought the Scarab from for some money off the price of the boat. He has agreed to give me my block back.

Now to figure out what kind of pistons to go with for the new build...
Kevin, by the looks of all the carbon in the top of your carburetor you were having some major reversion. Not the water kind every one talks about. This is not a good thing when you have spent exhaust gasses in the intake track it kills power. The valve timing events in the old blown up motor were all wrong. I highly recommend not re-using that old cam and source a cam from an experienced marine cam person. We have one of the best in the buisness right here on OSO.
Old 05-23-2015, 07:59 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Black Baja
Kevin, by the looks of all the carbon in the top of your carburetor you were having some major reversion. Not the water kind every one talks about. This is not a good thing when you have spent exhaust gasses in the intake track it kills power. The valve timing events in the old blown up motor were all wrong. I highly recommend not re-using that old cam and source a cam from an experienced marine cam person. We have one of the best in the buisness right here on OSO.
Will do. Thanks.

I'll hopefully have the cam out a little later today and see if I can find any info on it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.