Removing Risers with Silent Choice exhaust >

Removing Risers with Silent Choice exhaust

Notices

Removing Risers with Silent Choice exhaust

Old 09-10-2002, 09:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Risers with Silent Choice exhaust

Excuse my dumb chit-ness guys but as said in another post I'm not much of a mechanic but am willing to learn. So heres where I am.

Convinced I need to remove the risers and check EMI thunder Exhaust surface and install new gaskets, I've pulled the four bolts of the riser to the manifold off and pulled back the rubber hose back to where my S/C actuaters are. It's looking as though (to my rookie eye) that this is more then just pulling the 4 bolts and hose and whacking the riser off.

Sooooo, does the actuater for the S/C need to be removed along with the chrome exhaust pipe at the transom (the Y) and thru hub tube to get the riser off? Bear with me as I'm feeling a stupid session overcoming me and don't want to mess anything up, or do more crawling around in the engine compartment and wrenching then I have too.

Thanks for any words of wisdom,

J
Old 09-10-2002, 07:37 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

I can't say that I have ever removed risers from EMI Thunder but, all the risers that I have removed were very simply to pull off. Just unbolt the risers from the manifolds and slide them forward. They should slide right off.
Old 09-10-2002, 08:00 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The rubber exhaust hose tends to stick to the pipe or anything else that itis clamped to. Wiggle it around a bit and if all else fails push a big screwdriver between the hose and the pipe and work it arround to break it free.
Old 09-11-2002, 11:20 AM
Registered

Thanks guys.. Got them off, and I don't see any tall tale signs of any water inside the exhaust.. Now hopefully I can get them sealed up better..

Checkmate454MAG, I have a 2001 (probably built in 00) 454MAG and was curious as to what exhaust system you run on your ride?
Notice any diff from stock exhaust? I bought this ride used so don't have anything to compare the EMI's too..

Thanks again,

J
Old 09-11-2002, 07:08 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

ZP'D,

I have a '99 454 magnum. I upgraded to Gil WetOffshore manifolds and risers this season. I saw 200 r.p.m. gain and maybe 2 M.P.H. I didn't expect to gain any more than I did, I basically changed to Gils just to get rid of the stock Mercruiser junk.

Last edited by Vinny P; 09-11-2002 at 07:28 PM.