Crossover question???

Notices

Crossover question???

Old 09-10-2002, 12:46 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crossover question???

I got my engine (basically a 525SC) but my old circ pump doens;t seem to fit. That's ok becasue it is super smarmy (in ****ty condition for those of you that don't speak puder)

I figured instead of gettinag new circ pump i might installa crossover. What would be the advantage other than not having to waste 5hp turing a circ pump? I have heard crossovers can casue the block to hot spot any truth to that?

Also how whould i plumb it??? I have CMI so need to know the "proper" way to route all my water hosesd and such.
Old 09-10-2002, 12:49 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

also which crossover should I get? I have seen like 5 diferent designs and they all havea different number of hose connections on them.
Old 09-10-2002, 01:12 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts
Default crossover

I would recommend any crossover that has a thermostat. Don't put one in without a themostat. You'll never get the motor to temp, and never burn off the moisture in the oil etc. It't also not good to run the motor cold anyway. You'll have premature engine wear.

The crossover that is set up for a themostat will have a bypass hose, which will go from the thermostat housing to the actual cross over. I always use a 140* thermostat.

Plumbing it is easy. It basically goes the same path of the existing system. Your presure hose goes into the cross over. The bypass hose goes from the top of the cross over to the thermostat housing. The two hoses from the headers also connect to the thermostat housing.

I have been running crossovers for a very long time, and never had any problems, and I doubt you will either.
Old 09-10-2002, 01:14 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Default and adavntage

Also, one of the advantages for you may be a little bit more power. I mean a fraction. And also it is one less part that will break or wear out. I have never had to replace one that was made of stainless. They seem to last forever.
Old 09-10-2002, 01:28 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

can anyone post a pic of thier engine with a crossover?
Old 09-10-2002, 01:38 PM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I would install a water pressure guage as well,,, several people here have put crossovers on and buried the guage, most have gone back to recirc pumps,,,, just a heads up,, good luck.
Old 09-10-2002, 01:46 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

i did actually buy water pressure guage. where do i install the sender? It apperas to just screw in, but where is the proper place to screw it into?
Old 09-10-2002, 01:54 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question

Maybe this deserves a thread of it's own but here we go again.
Water pressure????????????
This was in a post from the General Discussion (496 Goodies)
"With all our systems, we stress water pressure, we even have a Mercury Racing bulletin that states the same, they want a minimum of 25lbs. and maximum of 35lbs. @ WOT on all of their engines no matter what"

What is the real answer here?????? All of the previous post state 5 at idle and 22 max at WOT.......
Old 09-10-2002, 02:32 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Default Follow the leader

Why not follow the leader, and do what the pros. do. Outerlimits puts valves that bleed off excess pressure. I was in my buddies Outerlimits once and he had valves in the floor that you would adjust while cruising to achieve proper water pressure. Set the pressures at about 10lbs while cruising and then nail it. All that it is, is a simple on/off valve that you open to bleed off pressure. You only need to do this on a boat that is very fast. I have only seen water pressure problems on boats that run over 85mph.
Old 09-10-2002, 02:55 PM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

All of the people I know withproblems run in the 60's and 70's

Quick Reply: Crossover question???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.