Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Power steering quits working at high trim? >

Power steering quits working at high trim?

Notices

Power steering quits working at high trim?

Old 06-29-2015, 06:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering quits working at high trim?

Does anyone know why my power steering would lock out with elevated trim. I blew up one powersteering pump already. I'm not even being allowed to trim up half way before the steering get extremely hard. I'm wondering if maybe my gimble bearing is causing this since it has recently started to make noise.
Any ideas would be great.
Thanks
Put Away Wet
Old 06-30-2015, 05:50 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Ayuh,... My guess is, yer trimmin' too high, causin' the linkages to bind at the tiller arm,.....

You'll have to Look,....
Old 06-30-2015, 07:00 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

tiller arm does not change angle no matter what the trim angle
Old 06-30-2015, 07:58 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,331 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Subscribed.

I work on one that does the same...but does not blow anything. Locks up right at top rpm (5300-5400) and trimmed pretty high (for best speed.) But, on this one, if throttle is pulled back, and trim the same, the power steering comes back. Figured a belt, but it isn't.

Always wondered if maybe pump spinning too fast ? Or needs remote reservoir as it doesn't have one. Dunno. Will keep ears/eye's open to this thread.

Last edited by SB; 06-30-2015 at 08:00 AM.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:17 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

Perhaps too much resistance from the drives at speed while trying to turn setting off the bypass valve in the pump?
Old 06-30-2015, 08:45 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,272 Likes on 556 Posts

Just how far are you trying to trim this boat?
There is a measurement of length on the trim cylinders that you are not supposed to go beyond; but I can't remember what it is on a typical Bravo setup.
I'll ping BUP to look at this thread. He'll know.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:48 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is this a new phenomenon, or something you have been living with?
Full hydraulic? Pics and more details would help.
Old 06-30-2015, 12:24 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Mercruiser spec is trim ram center bolt to center bolt is 21.75 inches for trim limit / trim for running in the FULL UP position. You do this measurement in full trim only position NOT TRAILER UP TRIM position. it is done out of the water with a measuring tape.

With that said the power steering should not stop working if you past this 21.75 inch measurement.

Also I take it we are talking about Mercruiser and a Bravo app here ?.is this correct ? What year ? I take it a 2007 Nordic heat boat and with Mercruiser & Bravo ?

what is your steering set up ? OEM stock or is the steering actuator gone and full hydraulic or even hydraulic with the actuator (internal only ) please explain your steering set up and the steering pump U are using. Is this an Auto steering pump replacement and do U have the correct pressure relief valve installed your steering pump reservoir ?
Old 06-30-2015, 12:58 PM
Registered

Received 144 Likes on 96 Posts

Are there any check valves in the system that can be stuck or faulty? Another guess would be the oil is cavitating or frothing leaving the pump with nothing but air.
Old 06-30-2015, 01:01 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SB
Subscribed.

I work on one that does the same...but does not blow anything. Locks up right at top rpm (5300-5400) and trimmed pretty high (for best speed.) But, on this one, if throttle is pulled back, and trim the same, the power steering comes back. Figured a belt, but it isn't.

Always wondered if maybe pump spinning too fast ? Or needs remote reservoir as it doesn't have one. Dunno. Will keep ears/eye's open to this thread.
That's my guess.

The trim angle extends the steering rams, needing more fluid, and the pump can't supply it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.