Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Anyone ever heard of or tried making vent tubes for a bravo drive like #6's >

Anyone ever heard of or tried making vent tubes for a bravo drive like #6's

Notices

Anyone ever heard of or tried making vent tubes for a bravo drive like #6's

Old 07-12-2015, 07:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone ever heard of or tried making vent tubes for a bravo drive like #6's

Like it says.

Prop vent tubes like the #6 drives have but in a bravo aplication
Old 07-12-2015, 09:48 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

I've thought about it but there's bot much fin to work with on a Bravo. You would have to add something to extend it. I've been saving a pair of Imco cavitation plate kits for just that thought.
Old 07-13-2015, 01:03 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,967 Likes on 988 Posts

I would have BBlades install the vent holes in your props first.

Planing time on a 292 has always been an issue with them.

I don't feel the cavitation plate is thick enough on a Bravo drive to support a vent tube.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:03 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
I would have BBlades install the vent holes in your props first.

Planing time on a 292 has always been an issue with them.

I don't feel the cavitation plate is thick enough on a Bravo drive to support a vent tube.
I don't run the exhaust through the prop so I'm wondering how well it will really work with the vent holes in the props.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:05 AM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I have done it, I made a temporary one out of a radiator hose. It worked well, I used it with an NA 509 that did not have a lot of low end torque. Helped build rpm fast out of the hole and that motor was had a peak HP about 6250 rev limited at 6300. Anyway, if you have an imco 2" shorty there is a trick way to do it. There is a triangle plate that bolts on right above the prop, pull that plate off and poke your finger up there...step drill two holes in the cavity from the top, one on each side of the cast divider. Pick a stiff hose of your choice and shove it in the holes. You will have to fab a bracket for your top cap or steering rams to hold the hosed up top.

All that said, I would not go through that when there are loads of props out there with pvs holes. The guy that bought my cat used props with PVS and he said he could blow out the prop with the plugs removed, it has no exhaust thru hub. Like I said in the last thread, you dont have much to lose. If you dont like it plug them.

Last edited by JRider; 07-13-2015 at 10:40 AM.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:17 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by JRider
I have done it, I made a temporary one out of a radiator hose. It worked well, I used it with an NA 509 that did not have a lot of low end torque. Helped build rpm fast out of the hole and that motor was had a peak HP about 6250 rev limited at 6300. Anyway, if you have an imco 2" shorty there is a trick way to do it. There is a triangle plate that bolts on right above the prop, pull that plate off and poke your finger up there...step drill two holes in the cavity from the top, one on each side of the cast divider. Pick a stiff hose of your choice and shove it in the holes. You will have to fab a bracket for your top cap or steering rams to hold the hosed up top.

All that said, I would not go through that when there are loads of props out there with pvs holes. The guy that bought my cat used props with PVS and he said he could blow out the prop with the plugs removed, it has no exhaust thru hub. Like I said in the last thread, you dont have much to lose. If you dont like it plug them.
Thanks...
Old 07-13-2015, 02:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I built one for my SCX-4 . running a 5 blade cleaver prop .

Last edited by 575cat; 07-13-2015 at 07:33 PM.
Old 07-13-2015, 04:27 PM
Registered

Received 700 Likes on 342 Posts

Surfacing or ventilating a bravo prop as much as a tube will, is probably going to shorten the life significantly of the props. They don't handle changing forces real well when surfaced or ventilated. Best bet is to do the holes in the hub.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:54 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Unlimited jd
Surfacing or ventilating a bravo prop as much as a tube will, is probably going to shorten the life significantly of the props. They don't handle changing forces real well when surfaced or ventilated. Best bet is to do the holes in the hub.
Personally, I wouldn't run a bravo on anything. Hydromotive all the way for me, more bang for buck.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:09 PM
Registered

Received 700 Likes on 342 Posts

Yes but the limited surface area of the hydromotive blades does not work well on heavy straight v's with limited bow lift in the hull. I.e. Top guns, scarabs, stingers. But fountains they do work decent

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.