oil galley plugs >

oil galley plugs

Notices

oil galley plugs

Old 08-01-2015, 09:57 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default oil galley plugs

I have the bottom end together (crank, rods and pistons ) This is the first time I have had to install the oil galley plugs. I put the three in behind the timing chain cover. and the three in the back of the block. The question I have is there is one that has a 1/16 inch hole in it. I cant figure where this would have gone. The only thing I can think is in the front of the block by the cam to help oil the timing chain. ( I am using a JESEL belt drive )
Am I missing any under the oil pan??? I got the two at the front of the block in the intake valley.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:44 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 1,110 Likes on 556 Posts

yep it would go on the front to help oil the timing chain….dont know if you need that for a belt drive…I've never used a belt drive before so can't comment on that.

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 08-02-2015, 08:37 AM
Registered

Received 825 Likes on 415 Posts

The one w/ the hole was in the front,not need anymore.Put a solid one back in.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:22 AM
Registered

The other question is am I missing any plugs???
Old 08-02-2015, 09:37 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Tinkerer
The other question is am I missing any plugs???
The one in the back of the block to the right of the cam do the final install after you drop in the distributor. You can shine a flashlight in this hole with the distributor in place to make sure the distributor is aligned properly with the oil galley.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:16 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What block
Old 08-02-2015, 06:44 PM
Registered

Received 950 Likes on 345 Posts

the origin of the drilled plug goes back to the '60's when chevy started using hydraulic lifters in everything. there were lots of complaints about noisy lifters at start up. the fix was to drill the first plug in the lifter oil ports to bleed off the air faster. it fixed the issues and helps to oil the chain although there is plenty of oil flying around in there anyway.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:59 PM
Registered

It is a DART BIG M - I bothered Dave and he answered on Sunday. I had two extra plugs in the box of plugs. He told me I had found all of the holes. Have to machine down one of my 1/2 inch sockets to get at the inside bolts for the oil pan. I can't believe that you pay > $750 for an oil pan and it takes a special thin wall 1/2 inch socket and they can't include it with the pan. I went to 4 places today to try to find one.
Wonder how many people thought I was nuts going around with a micrometer checking sockets.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:39 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Tinkerer
It is a DART BIG M - I bothered Dave and he answered on Sunday. I had two extra plugs in the box of plugs. He told me I had found all of the holes. Have to machine down one of my 1/2 inch sockets to get at the inside bolts for the oil pan. I can't believe that you pay > $750 for an oil pan and it takes a special thin wall 1/2 inch socket and they can't include it with the pan. I went to 4 places today to try to find one.
Wonder how many people thought I was nuts going around with a micrometer checking sockets.
Don't forget the loctite on the pan bolts. What oil pan uses a bolt with 1/2" head? I've never seen that b4 I uses allens or 12-point
Old 08-08-2015, 05:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the belt drive is external and you would never use a drilled hole in a plug or want oil on it. also, since it outside the block, any drilled hole would eliminate your oil pressure and make a big mess in the boat.

as far as a special socket being needed for the oil pan, a 1/4" drive socket with a long extension should work. 3/8 and 1/2 sockets have too large an OD.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.