Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Blown Bravo, need advice... >

Blown Bravo, need advice...

Notices

Blown Bravo, need advice...

Old 08-27-2015, 08:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well then it sounds like my "measurement" was less than accurate to say the least. However, it's almost a guarantee that the backlash is the same as it was before I took the drive apart, given the parts are all the same and I've followed all the torque specs. Oh, while I'm on here I might as well ask, do you guys use gasket sealer on the rubber o-rings & seals? My drive was absolutely covered in it when I took it apart, but the Merc manual instructs to just use a bit of grease... that sure would aid in the next service event, but sealing is so critical, I'll worry without the sticky stuff...
Old 08-28-2015, 08:14 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

I have used grease (Mercury 2-4-C) several times and no problems with leaks. Much cleaner and easier to sevice compared to using the sticky gorilla snot!
Old 08-28-2015, 09:06 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

How did you install the brass ring onto the gear to make sure it stays on.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 144 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by esteinbrenner
Well then it sounds like my "measurement" was less than accurate to say the least. However, it's almost a guarantee that the backlash is the same as it was before I took the drive apart, given the parts are all the same and I've followed all the torque specs. Oh, while I'm on here I might as well ask, do you guys use gasket sealer on the rubber o-rings & seals? My drive was absolutely covered in it when I took it apart, but the Merc manual instructs to just use a bit of grease... that sure would aid in the next service event, but sealing is so critical, I'll worry without the sticky stuff...
I read somewhere NOT to use any type of sealant on the orings. Just grease them up so they can freely squish out and do their job.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

253- I cleaned the inside of the ring with a brass wire brush to remove the factory adhesive then I used a thin layer of this threadlock type stuff... it's not loctite, I can't remember the name. My buddy used it on a stripped exhaust header bolt, it's the same milky red color as shock oil. Really heavy duty stuff. Then I put the assembly in a press and boom. Stuck on there.