Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
HELP! 7.4 Merc dies all of no where! >

HELP! 7.4 Merc dies all of no where!

Notices

HELP! 7.4 Merc dies all of no where!

Old 08-18-2015, 10:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im gonna try and replace the cheap stuff like coil, sensor, ignition, and kill swiych if that doesnt fix it im.thinking of going with a davis unified ignition.

http://performancedistributors.com/p...-distributors/

I called them.and the tech guy said it hooks up with one 12v and has mechanical advance. There is also another kit sold on ebay i was looking at called mercpromarine8.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:44 AM
Registered

My bet is the coil. Had the one on my 454 Magnum go just like that several years ago. Run the boat for a few hours and it would die at 3000rpm. Open the hatch, check a few things, the coil would cool to a point it would let the engine fire up again.
Changed the coil out, no more problems
Old 08-18-2015, 11:17 AM
Registered

Received 334 Likes on 188 Posts

Are you sure it is not the kill switch?. On two different boats I have had that happen. The part that pulls of the button in the switch would age and loosen up. Go over a few small wakes and it would die. The first one drove me crazy, Years later it happened on a different boat and I knew right away what it was. I now carry a spare.

Padraig
Old 08-18-2015, 11:19 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,277 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Originally Posted by Scarab2222
The fuel pump is not vented to the carb it just has a cap on it. How do i jump the coil and what does that tell me?
The fuel pump should have a vent, if this (vent on the fuel pump) is capped, take it off...like yesterday...this will effect fuel pump psi.

Obviously, this vent should be connected to the flame arrestor or top of the carb. Make sure not hooked to a vacuum source or this will reduce your fuel psi also. Needs to be referenced of atmospheric pressure so the pump can run at it's preset pressure.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:21 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

I would take the kill switch out the mix completely for testing - bring a volt meter and a couple of sealed inline spark checkers and go to town with it when your problem happens if it does in fact come back . I would also run this boat on a portable fuel supply to as I said post in # 11.

I would bring a fuel pressure tester also and possible take your mounted fuel rail out of the mix for testing

I had some new mechanical fuel pumps that were installed that overstoked (the arm not manu the exact same as version one ) causing high fuel pressure. Had to shim the fuel pumps for proper fuel pressure as they were dumping too much fuel especially at idle. just saying

Last edited by BUP; 08-18-2015 at 12:15 PM.
Old 08-18-2015, 12:34 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,938 Likes on 976 Posts

Fuel pump is on the block. The pressure gauge is on the fuel rail just under the carb. The first time it died i had no spark but the second two times it fired right back up so i didnt check. There is no gas spillage or leakage anywhere.
If the fuel pump is on the block, then its an older Mark IV block. Probably not a Merc engine and sounds like its a Frankenstein engine put together with a mix of auto and marine parts.

And at idle it has a pressure of like 8-10
Too high. should be 6-7 max.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:51 PM
Registered

10237297 that is the bolck cast number. I thought you could run either a pump on the block.or newer wuth the gen 6 blocks? Like i said im.completely new to boats and what i know about old carb motors is limited.