Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Single vs Double plane manifold >

Single vs Double plane manifold

Notices

Single vs Double plane manifold

Old 09-17-2002, 08:20 AM
turbo2256

A while back I ran a 7.4 with ported Edelbrock oval port heads and a performer rpm then switched to a torker II then to an air gap (engine was stock 310 otherwise but a 750 Holley. Both dual planes ran so close couldnt be shure if there was a differance other than price. The torker provided the best acceleration and almost no bow rise. In other applications usally best performance all aroud for me has been the single planes. The problem most have is using say the Dart or Victor series manifolds designed for some serious hi out put engines big heads big rpm and expect it to work togeather on a 5200 rpm limit. The torker also ran better with a smaller carb than the dual planes which ran best with a 830.

Old 09-17-2002, 11:07 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well said, my experience exactly even with many more engine mods.
Old 09-17-2002, 11:50 AM
DonMan

With an engine running 5500 rpm or less, a dual-plane would be an easy choice for best performance across the rpm range. What a lot of people may not realize, is that there are now several styles of dual-planes on the market! You have the standard dual-plane, which is a low-medium rise intake, such as an Edelbrock Performer. Then you have the high-rise dual-planes, such as the Edelbrock Performer RPM and the Weiand Stealth. Then you have the new Air-Gap design from Edelbrock (other brands soon to follow) which has an open-air "gap" beneath the plenum. For my money, I would only consider the "hi-rise" style dual-plane or the Air-Gap. These manifolds provide good low-end torque along with the strong top-end characteristics of a single-plane intake. Just so you`ll know, not all dual-planes are just "dual-planes".

Old 09-17-2002, 12:46 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default the Weiand Stealth

Take a look at one of these for a big block chevy and you will see that half of the plenium divider is not there making it act more like some of the single planes! AND you can get the Weiand X-Celerator that comes with a removeable plenium divider to help ad low end tork when ysed with smaller duration camshafts!

Not All Intakes Are Equeal
Old 09-17-2002, 01:40 PM
turbo2256

Take a look at the dual planes and compare port cross sectional area to the torker II. You will see the Torker II appears to have smaller cross sectional area in the runners creating faster air speed. My next test would be to reduce plenum volume in the single plane because I dont believe a boat engine needs the plenum volume an automotive engine needs to operate because of the more steady state and high drag loads which has the engine operating at a higher VE.

Old 09-17-2002, 02:49 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Warlockjer,
I have both a Edelbrock Performer RPM and a GM (Merc Magnum) intake available for sale if you are interested. They both are in excellent condition. Would sell for a very fair price!
Send me an e-mail if you are: [email protected]

TomR