Why is the Gen 7 496 such a bad platform to build >

Why is the Gen 7 496 such a bad platform to build

Notices

Why is the Gen 7 496 such a bad platform to build

Old 11-09-2015, 07:08 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,177 Likes on 1,433 Posts

BTW: Can we get a mod to break up this thread ? I would like to see DonziMatt's 8.1 builds and Rage's 8.1 issues discussed entirely but seperately. It would do bhetter justiuce for both. IMHO of course.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:18 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I am not very knowledgeable on EFI mapping, but I personally think, these lean air fuel ratio numbers being talked about, are playing with fire while under load.

Back in the days of carbureted vehicles, spark knock, at low rpm, high load situations, was a real problem. My general opinion, is that while 2200RPM is a slow engine speed, it is not impervious to being rattled to death there, even getting on plane. Some boats can really load the engine down trying to get on plane. With a carb, its very possible that while planing, the loss of engine vacuum, will make the carb go into power enrichment.

When adding power, without adding displacement, or forced induction, you are simply raising cylinder pressure to make that power increase. Looks like you added cam lift, without adding duration. Generally, this will help build more power, esp at lower rpms.

Basically, what I'm saying, is, when the HP per ci goes up, the tune becomes more and more critical. What works at .85hp per ci, may not work at 1.3hp per ci.

I used to believe in textbook AFR numbers I read online. I also used to believe, lean makes big HP numbers, and rich kills power. While quite different than what we are discussing here engine wise, I have witnessed 900-1000hp roots blown carb'd engines, make peak power on the dyno, with an AFR of 11.5. Leaner than that, it lost power. My personal engines, run low 11's currently at WOT. I have had it in the low 12's briefly at wot, and the engines layed down, top speed suffered. I then decided, I'm gonna just start giving the engine what it wants in the fuel, and timing department, and kind of ignore, what the internet says.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:05 PM
Registered

Received 928 Likes on 337 Posts

just a couple questions about those piston pics. I am no expert engine builder but looking at the pics it seems the top ring groove is pretty high up and there is not much material left in the valve notch. were the pistons cut for more valve clearance? the shape looks a little odd but it could be the picture. when the engine was refreshed is it possible the ring end gap is tighter than before and the ring butted and pushed on the top of the piston where it is the thinnest? just a couple thoughts and hopefully I can learn something.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:40 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=SB;4374301]BTW: Can we get a mod to break up this thread ? I would like to see DonziMatt's 8.1 builds and Rage's 8.1 issues discussed entirely but seperately. It would do bhetter justiuce for both. IMHO of course.[/QUOTE

Done. New thread:

Detonation Issues - "Why is the Gen 7 496 such a bad platform to build"

Last edited by Rage; 11-10-2015 at 08:03 AM.
Old 11-14-2015, 09:08 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

Second motor is together and running. It went together just as well as the first and lit right off. Cam is off a off a bit which I am attributing to slack in the chain, but just about the same amount as the other motor, so they should be matched just fine.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]547693[/ATTACH]

The only setback I had was when I opened the wrapper on the throttle body it had been damaged in shipping. I am sure I could have sent it back, but instead I though I would try out my metal working skills as it seemed like a waste to junk something that was more or less perfectly fine, I think it came out pretty good, kind of impressed with what I could do with a vice and a couple of sockets for shaping.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]547694[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]547695[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]547696[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]547697[/ATTACH]

And of course, the obligatory first start video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9_JbwAh5wE&feature=youtu.be I can't wait to get the Dana exhaust and hear what they sound like then. I am going to have a hard time waiting for spring.
Attached Thumbnails Why is the Gen 7 496 such a bad platform to build-img_2528.jpg   Why is the Gen 7 496 such a bad platform to build-img_2534.jpg   Why is the Gen 7 496 such a bad platform to build-img_2533.jpg  

Why is the Gen 7 496 such a bad platform to build-img_2530.jpg   Why is the Gen 7 496 such a bad platform to build-img_2529.jpg  
Old 11-15-2015, 12:37 PM
Registered

Received 124 Likes on 84 Posts

Lookin good Matt! Remember reading that the dbl roller 496 chainsaw were on the looser side when new. Should not be a problem. The tb looks nice, you did well blending it back in. I would not have returned it either. Make sure you post pics and videos when the new exhaust is on.
Old 11-15-2015, 01:46 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

If you have the early aluminum exhaust manifolds they flow very well. The ports are huge and they are light.
Old 11-15-2015, 03:16 PM
Registered

I have the cast iron manifolds. Looking at the Dana design I can't see how the stock exhaust could flow nearly as much.
Old 11-15-2015, 03:54 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by donzi matt
I have the cast iron manifolds. Looking at the Dana design I can't see how the stock exhaust could flow nearly as much.
I'd go with long tube headers with n/a then. I put CMIs on my stock 496 and sold the aluminum manifolds. I saw zero gain on a stock engine. Modified engine should benefit from the scavenging of headers.
Old 11-15-2015, 04:12 PM
Registered

I wish I could have afforded CMI's, but I just couldn't swallow 10 grand plus for headers. I think the Dana's will support everything I am going to do with these motors, shave a bit more weight and be an improvement in flow over what I have now. Those CMI's sure do look horny though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.