Why is the Gen 7 496 such a bad platform to build >

Why is the Gen 7 496 such a bad platform to build

Notices

Why is the Gen 7 496 such a bad platform to build

Old 03-14-2016, 03:13 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

To make the 496 breathe[ATTACH=CONFIG]552359[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Why is the Gen 7 496 such a bad platform to build-image.jpg  
Old 03-14-2016, 03:38 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan00TJ
Your on the right track. Anything is an upgrade over the stock unit. That size should do a fine job for your needs. If I remember your setup to monitor oil temp.
Yes, measuring oil temps at the filter head before it has been through the cooler. I would see temps get up to 240-250 when running WOT for an extended period, then they would stabilize there. In my opinion the stock cooler is barely adequate for a stock motor, so it is time for an upgrade. I have already upgraded the oil pumps and bypass valves and hope the cooler upgrade is the last piece of the puzzle I need to complete.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:15 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by class6
To make the 496 breathe[ATTACH=CONFIG]552359[/ATTACH]
That's sweet. Who makes it?
Old 03-14-2016, 04:57 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Kinsler Fuel Injection
Old 03-14-2016, 07:31 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by donzi matt
Spring is around the corner and I am thinking about getting the final projects done on my motors before dropping them back in. I want to upgrade the stock oil coolers but don't think I want to do anything with the stock lines. My thinking is to go to a 3" cooler with a thermostat in the stock location with some new brackets. This is the cooler I am looking at: 3" cooler from CP Performance. The stock 496 ties the air drain system into this but my Dana exhaust has a manual valve so I can do away with the funky T fitting at the end of the cooler for the water hoses. Has anybody had any experience with doing a setup like this and if so how did it work for keeping oil temperatures under control?
Matt, I had some of those 12 bundle by 3 inch coolers on my engines before I went to bellhousing coolers. Back then, I had the small blowers, and wasnt making as much power, but still had to be 600hp or more. I also wasn't running water stats in the engines, but, I had oil temps that were plenty cool.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:37 PM
Registered

Thanks MT, that's the kind of information I was looking for. I think this will be the easiest setup for me to install without modifying the oil lines so I was hoping they were adequate for cooling.
Old 04-05-2016, 06:19 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any updates? Is it is getting close to the ice going out?
Old 04-05-2016, 06:41 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 867 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by donzi matt
Thanks MT, that's the kind of information I was looking for. I think this will be the easiest setup for me to install without modifying the oil lines so I was hoping they were adequate for cooling.
Its not a huge deal, you can make oil lines with -12AN braided lines & fillings in 20 minutes. HOWEVER! The one that hooks to the oil filter plate, the original oil filter location blockoff plate on the block, is some funky size like 21 metric or something. You would have to buy a little converter plug. Keep that in mind if you ever do it, the rest is -12AN. It took me a week to find the right fitting but I cant remember what it was.
Old 04-05-2016, 06:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by myturn
Any updates? Is it is getting close to the ice going out?
The ice is out, but it was 16 degrees at my house this morning. This spring can blow me. the motors are still resting in the shop and the boat is still covered. Got one of the projects I needed done first before I can focus on this boat last weekend:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]553611[/ATTACH]

Stripped the boat to the hull, had the tub fixed, and installed a new wood interior. My kids have been after me for 3 years to take care of this, glad I did as it looks like new now. Not bad for a 1989.

As soon as the weather actually starts to resemble spring the cover is coming off and it will be back to work. I should have the motors down off of the mezzanine this week and get the new oil coolers installed. That's the last thing I need to do before they go back in. The coolers arrived end of last week, yet one more great transaction with Bill at Diamond Performance. I did end up going with the thermostat controlled 3X16 coolers.
Attached Thumbnails Why is the Gen 7 496 such a bad platform to build-img_2799.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
TICafeRacer (08-10-2024)
Old 04-29-2016, 08:14 PM
Registered

Progress is being made. Installed the new oil coolers with stock lines, was able to finagle it in diagonally on the port side of each motor. It is mounted solid and was quite easy to plumb like that. Installed new impellers, fired them one more time on the floor to make sure they were ready to go.

Last weekend I pulled the cover off and popped the engine hatch off. I was greeted by a bilge with gear oil in it from the remote reservoir fitting on the gimble bleeding in. No big deal, fire up the steam cleaner, hop in an start cleaning. 10 minutes in and my foot slips and goes right under the nozzle of the steam cleaner. Right through my shoe, right through my sock, and I was left with this:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]554829[/ATTACH]

Not to be deterred, I got the port motor installed while yelping like a girl every time I had to hop out of the boat to run the forklift. Took about an hour to get it in and bolted up by myself. Sunday I got to the shop at 7:00 am, and got back to work on the starboard motor. An hour later and that was in and bolted up. The foot was catching up to me and it was time to call it a day.

Some notes: The Dana exhaust is much wider than the stock 496 exhaust. When I ordered the manifolds I had them shave the inboard manifolds a 1/4" each. I'm glad I did or it wouldn't have fit. I also had to relocate my hatch actuator about 6 inches forward because it hit the exhaust now.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]554831[/ATTACH]

This is what I ended up with at the end of the morning on Sunday. These things are ugly.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]554832[/ATTACH]

Got everything wired up this week, had to modify the throttle cable bracket for the accufab throttlebodies but otherwise everything fit like a glove. Here is the final product, Jim hit it out of the park with the decals for the stock covers:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]554833[/ATTACH]

Serviced the drives, installed Hardin drive showers, moved up from 26 pitch Bravo's to 28 pitch Bravo's to start with. I have a set of Hydromotive 28's to try as well. I am pretty sure my port Bravo isn't long for this world. The fluid smelled awful and there was a little fuzz on the magnet while the starboard magnet was spotless and the oil was fine. I have a spare for when it grenades.

If the weather is good next week I plan to splash it and do some testing with the wideband and fuel pressure gauge. I plan to tweak fuel pressure to compensate if it seems lean. I will also be able to confirm my fuel pressure holds steady at WOT and my fuel feed isn't a restriction.
Attached Thumbnails Why is the Gen 7 496 such a bad platform to build-img_2828.jpg   Why is the Gen 7 496 such a bad platform to build-img_2830.jpg   Why is the Gen 7 496 such a bad platform to build-img_2829.jpg  

Why is the Gen 7 496 such a bad platform to build-img_2840.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.