Why is the Gen 7 496 such a bad platform to build >

Why is the Gen 7 496 such a bad platform to build

Notices

Why is the Gen 7 496 such a bad platform to build

Old 05-12-2016, 02:38 PM
Registered

Received 765 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by Naughty Kitty
Matt, I added this wire set from Aftermarket Marine when I did the fresh long blocks last season. The fit is spot on for the 496 Marine application, I've had zero issues throughout the power band and the blue color accents a lot of the powder work done.

http://www.amarket.com/imwo808.htm
Wish I had known about these before dropping $210 on the Raylar wires.
Old 05-14-2016, 03:30 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

This misfire is kicking my a$$. New wires, new cam sensor, same exact miss. Can hear it through the exhaust on the port motor also. Compression sounds fine on the starter, not missing at idle or part throttle, only about 3500 RPM or up. I see that my Rinda has an induced misfire function where I assume it shuts down each coil or injector to isolate a skip. It says to run it at 1500-2000 but I am hoping it will let me do it at higher RPM to see if I can at least pinpoint which cylinder is going down. This is going to be a giant pain if I can't do that.
Old 05-14-2016, 06:13 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 867 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by donzi matt
This misfire is kicking my a$$. New wires, new cam sensor, same exact miss. Can hear it through the exhaust on the port motor also. Compression sounds fine on the starter, not missing at idle or part throttle, only about 3500 RPM or up. I see that my Rinda has an induced misfire function where I assume it shuts down each coil or injector to isolate a skip. It says to run it at 1500-2000 but I am hoping it will let me do it at higher RPM to see if I can at least pinpoint which cylinder is going down. This is going to be a giant pain if I can't do that.

You sure its not a coil? Are they all plugged in OK? Those wires that plug into them are so small, maybe one of them are corroded or broken?
Old 05-14-2016, 07:48 PM
Registered

I think it may very well be a coil. I have some spares from a truck motor, need to check and see if they are the same. I would love to isolate which coil it is, hopefully I can do that tomorrow with a cylinder deactivation test. It doesn't happen right off the bat, needs to run for a minute on plane before it starts acting up, but once it starts it is pretty consistent.

So far I have replaced the crank sensor, cam sensor, plugs, wires, and fuel filters. Nothing has changed it. Fuel pressure remains consistent so it is not starving for fuel. It really feels ignition related.
Old 05-14-2016, 09:08 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It could be something as simple as a cracked spark plug.
That happened on my 496 once.
Old 05-14-2016, 09:16 PM
Registered

Plugs were the first thing I tried. No difference.
Old 05-15-2016, 08:27 AM
Registered

Received 700 Likes on 342 Posts

Sounds like a bad coil, especially since it has to warm up for a minute
Old 05-15-2016, 08:31 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,329 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Originally Posted by donzi matt
I think it may very well be a coil. I have some spares from a truck motor, need to check and see if they are the same. I would love to isolate which coil it is, hopefully I can do that tomorrow with a cylinder deactivation test. It doesn't happen right off the bat, needs to run for a minute on plane before it starts acting up, but once it starts it is pretty consistent.

So far I have replaced the crank sensor, cam sensor, plugs, wires, and fuel filters. Nothing has changed it. Fuel pressure remains consistent so it is not starving for fuel. It really feels ignition related.
Does the engine have round or square coils ?
Old 05-15-2016, 10:35 AM
Registered

It has square LS coils. I had 7 spares at the shop. So I swapped 7 and took it out, leaving the 8th as the easiest to get to so I can swap it on the water. Took it out this morning and thought things were fixed. Motors were nearly dead on so I let it eat as there was a decent chop. I reached a new best of 73mph. This was with my mufflers out, but yesterday I couldn't see any better than 71 with the mufflers out. I am at about 3/4 fuel at this point. As I was headed back in I started to hear the pop again I think, but I ran out of time. Need to spend some more time on the water and see for sure if it is back and the RPM drop is with it, then I will swap the 8th coil. I may do another set of plugs even though it is a giant b!tch of a job to do on the inboard side, perhaps I cracked one putting the exhaust on. I will get to the bottom of this eventually.

So far, only positive to say about Raylar. The products work and the support from Larry has been outstanding. Very quick to provide support for as long as I need it over the phone and just a good guy to deal with.

Last edited by donzi matt; 05-15-2016 at 10:37 AM.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:58 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,329 Likes on 1,491 Posts

As a heads up. AcDelco Original Equipment coils are $21.75 each thru Amazon. Free shipping with Prime of course.
http://amzn.com/B000BYGD60

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.