Why is the Gen 7 496 such a bad platform to build >

Why is the Gen 7 496 such a bad platform to build

Notices

Why is the Gen 7 496 such a bad platform to build

Old 06-18-2016, 08:44 AM
Registered

Received 135 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by donzi matt
Honestly, I've just been using the boat. This thing is just as reliable as it was with the stock motors. I think I have put about 20 hours on it so far this season and aside from the misfire I had at the beginning of the season it just starts and runs as it is supposed to. I should do some more tuning with props and with fuel pressure but it seems like there is no free time for that stuff. I listed the boat for sale on a couple of sites because I would really like to get into a top gun, if it sells I will move up, if it doesn't I'm going to keep adding power to this one. I am all over the new 540 shortblocks Raylar is offering so if I still have it this fall I will buy a pair of those and possibly whipples, then figure out what I am going to do about drives. This really is a sickness.
Whipple 540's with TRS/Bravo's will sound like Bigfoot walking thru the woods stepping on twigs. Glad to hear the setup is working out for ya.
Old 06-25-2016, 03:23 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

Ran a poker run today. At one point I ran the boat at WOT for a full 15 minutes. Oil temps never got over 200 and it never hiccuped. Despite what people have said about 496 pistons, my experience has been different so far. I think having a safe tune and the oil cooler upgrades are a must. I don't feel the stock cooler is really sufficient for a stock motor and my initial AFR's when I installed the kit were certainly on the ragged edge. Anybody interested in upgrading their 496 should consider monitoring AFR's and oil cooler upgrades mandatory in my opinion. Ignoring this is playing with fire.
Old 06-25-2016, 05:38 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Good work Matt!
Old 06-29-2016, 06:08 PM
Registered

Received 451 Likes on 269 Posts

Ran a poker run today. At one point I ran the boat at WOT for a full 15 minutes. Oil temps never got over 200 and it never hiccuped. Despite what people have said about 496 pistons, my experience has been different so far. I think having a safe tune and the oil cooler upgrades are a must. I don't feel the stock cooler is really sufficient for a stock motor and my initial AFR's when I installed the kit were certainly on the ragged edge. Anybody interested in upgrading their 496 should consider monitoring AFR's and oil cooler upgrades mandatory in my opinion. Ignoring this is playing with fire.
Matt are you running an oil thermostat?
Old 06-29-2016, 07:12 PM
Registered

The cooler has a built in 190 degree thermostat and a bypass tube built in. It seems to work pretty slick so far, gets up to 190 and stays there, will eventually climb to 200 but I haven't seen much over that yet.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:42 PM
Registered

I didn't realize it has a built in bypass.

Did the cooler fit in the stock location? What did you have to modify to make it work? I'm wondering if I could install it on my 2002. I would like to use the stock lines as I just replaced them a year or 2 ago.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:58 PM
Registered

It's way bigger than the stock cooler. I bought a couple of brackets and built some spacers to mount it diagonally. My exhaust has shutoff valves so I just did away with the T at the end of the cooler, fabbed up a couple of water hoses and called it good. It isn't the most trick fabrication setup, but it works slicker than snot on a glass door knob. I don't think I ever took pictures of it installed unfortunately.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:14 PM
Registered

Thanks for the info!!
Old 01-01-2017, 08:59 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is your oil temperature reading still before the oil cooler?
Old 01-01-2017, 09:13 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rage
Is your oil temperature reading still before the oil cooler?
I was measuring temperature at the oil filter head, which is pre cooler.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.