Why is the Gen 7 496 such a bad platform to build

Notices

Why is the Gen 7 496 such a bad platform to build

Old 10-22-2015, 05:35 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,177 Likes on 1,433 Posts

Cool, cool.

I didn't believe you anyway....about not pulling them down further. Easy bet ! Lol.

Well, your nail is gonna match your motors soon....black. Youch !
Old 10-23-2015, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 124 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by donzi matt
I lied, I decided to pull a little more apart today. The cam and lifters are in excellent shape, cam bearings look good. This motor already has Raylar's rockers on it from the previous owner upgrading them when he had the heads off. The rockers feel fine and the little AFN retaining nuts all look good, no cracks. I pulled one head and the cylinder walls look great, which I expected since compression and leakdown were perfect and these motors don't use a drop of oil.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]546803[/ATTACH]

Of course, going to set the head back on the motor so I could cap it back up resulted in this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]546804[/ATTACH]

Split the pinky nail right open in the middle, stings like a sonuva*****. Oh well, no pain no gain.

Just think Matt, if it would have been the Raylar aluminum heads it would just be a bruised finger.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:59 AM
Registered

Received 760 Likes on 410 Posts

Did you see Bob Llyod's mention of cracked Raylar heads?

See post #130. Wonder what the root cause was?

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...-heads-13.html
Old 10-23-2015, 10:08 AM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Did you see Bob Llyod's mention of cracked Raylar heads?

See post #130. Wonder what the root cause was?

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...-heads-13.html
I saw that. At first I got worked up, then two things occurred to me: one, those may have been early revision heads, I know they have been through a couple of updates throughout the years, and two, what other aluminum head option do I have for a 496? They had issues with rocker nuts cracking early on also, but I pulled mine off after 100 hours and they looked perfect. Going to run her and hope for the best. It's so easy to get worried about stuff you read on the internet. I am trying my best not to fall into that trap.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:12 AM
SB
Registered

Bob L mentioned early heads.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:41 AM
Registered

Received 760 Likes on 410 Posts

I saw that. At first I got worked up, then two things occurred to me: one, those may have been early revision heads, I know they have been through a couple of updates throughout the years, and two, what other aluminum head option do I have for a 496? They had issues with rocker nuts cracking early on also, but I pulled mine off after 100 hours and they looked perfect. Going to run her and hope for the best. It's so easy to get worried about stuff you read on the internet. I am trying my best not to fall into that trap.
Wasn't trying to scare anyone off or stir crap. Just wondering out loud what the problem was or if it was ever determined. You are correct in that you have no other options if going aluminum.

SB I missed the part on early heads. Thanks.
Old 10-23-2015, 03:15 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Food for thought.

My .02 is the ECU program. Dont do a ragged edge program. Be slightly conservative and do Raylars flash or Whipples stage 2 and you will stay dsafe.
Old 10-23-2015, 03:31 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 990 Likes on 502 Posts

I lied, I decided to pull a little more apart today. The cam and lifters are in excellent shape, cam bearings look good. This motor already has Raylar's rockers on it from the previous owner upgrading them when he had the heads off. The rockers feel fine and the little AFN retaining nuts all look good, no cracks. I pulled one head and the cylinder walls look great, which I expected since compression and leakdown were perfect and these motors don't use a drop of oil.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]546803[/ATTACH]

Of course, going to set the head back on the motor so I could cap it back up resulted in this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]546804[/ATTACH]

Split the pinky nail right open in the middle, stings like a sonuva*****. Oh well, no pain no gain.
we always joke that if you don't shed blood working on a machine it wont run right till you do! strangely enough i always seem to cut myself each and every time i work on some motor and they all run like tops! LOL

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 10-23-2015, 05:15 PM
SB
Registered

Originally Posted by Wally
we always joke that if you don't shed blood working on a machine it wont run right till you do! strangely enough i always seem to cut myself each and every time i work on some motor and they all run like tops! LOL
x 2.

You didn't fix it right unless you blead and you have a few bolts/nuts left over.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:25 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
x 2.

You didn't fix it right unless you blead and you have a few bolts/nuts left over.
Make sure the customer doesn't see those leftover parts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.