Powder Coating Problem!! >

Powder Coating Problem!!

Notices

Powder Coating Problem!!

Old 09-17-2002, 10:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Powder Coating Problem!!

Hey guys, just purchased a tubular aluminum swim platform from one of the leading platform companies out there four weeks ago. I paid a pretty penny for it!! When I ordered the platform, I had it powder coated white.

Anyway, I had it professionally installed and it looked great up until last Sunday when I took my Excalibur out for the fourth time with the new platform. To my disbelief, I looked down at the platform when we went to dock and the paint had totally come off the platform in two areas and the aluminum was clearly visible!! Now when I ordered this platform I had to give them photos of the transom of the boat (which clearly showed the thru-hull exhaust) along with many detailed diminsions. In the photo, it clearly shows how my thru-hull exhaust is above the rub-rail and not below (like most powerboats), in turn, this would clearly mean the water running through the exhaust is going to run on to the top of the swim platform. Well, being very new to the boating scene and trusting that the company I am dealing with would know what they are doing, would clearly know if the exhaust would cause a problem to the powercoat!!

Now, I am in the middle of getting the problem resolved with this company. But, what I want to know is, if anyone out there knows if this was a powdercoat problem, as far as the way it was applied. Or, will I have to have some sort of high-temp paint applied or will I be forced to skip all painting applications and only have the option of anodizing the aluminum??

I am just so pissed, becuase I know this company is bound to have sold a platform to a customer that has had thru-hull above the rub-rail before!! I mean this company is OEM for all of Baja's platforms!!

Any input would help. Thanks !!
Attached Thumbnails Powder Coating Problem!!-plat5.jpg  
Old 09-17-2002, 10:17 AM
Brad Perry

I seriously doubt that your exhaust would cause that. If powdercoating is good at something, it is heat, and that water isn't that hot. I hate to say it, but powder coating shops are usually some of the worst at surface prep.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 09-17-2002, 10:39 AM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you need to have it redoen contact slingshot here on the board.
[email protected]
Old 09-17-2002, 10:50 AM
Registered

Looks to me like some one coated over the on non-skid strips? I've only seen the strips (grey / black, sometimes color keyed), put on after powdercoating. Tough to tell by the picture.

Last edited by bajadude; 09-17-2002 at 10:58 AM.
Old 09-17-2002, 11:07 AM
Registered

no grip strips were ever applied.
Old 09-17-2002, 11:07 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Looks like a failure of the powder coat. When the coating releases, it'll actually float over the surface and then peal off in large sheets. The failure has nothing to do with your exhaust. If the platform is under warantee, then it should be a covered item.
Old 09-17-2002, 11:11 AM
Registered

Here is a closer photo of one area, the largest area of issue. That is the bare aluminum that you see.
Attached Thumbnails Powder Coating Problem!!-plat41.jpg  
Old 09-17-2002, 11:13 AM
Registered

no grip strips were ever applied.
Just looks like its coming up in very straight lines right is the same spot that the strips go. It looks like there's also a shadow line there. Like I said, awfully hard without seeing it 1st hand.

Regardless, clearly a warranty problem. As you note, Baja uses the same platform manufacturer. Most of the ones Baja uses have self-stick non skid strips, others like mine, have a channel cut in the strakes and use a ruber extrusion. I've never seen a smilar problem on a Baja though.

Last edited by bajadude; 09-17-2002 at 11:30 AM.
Old 10-15-2002, 12:07 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default LOOKS SMOOTH TO ME

BAD SURFACE PREP IT NEEDS TO BE BLASTED OR PHOSPHATED, HOT WATER DOES NOT AFFECT IT. TELL THEM TO PREP IT CORRECTLY AND THEN SPRAY IT
Old 10-15-2002, 01:55 PM
Registered

thanks guys, they are bead-blasting it as we speak and going to re-powder coat it. Hopefully this time it will work??? Having someone else do the work locally that are suppose to be very good opposed to shipping it all the way back to Ohio.....oops....did I give away the platform companies location that goofed on my platform.............???

All I got to say is I will be somewhat satisfied once I get reimbursed.

Spencer