Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
problem with aftermarket cylinder heads. >

problem with aftermarket cylinder heads.

Notices

problem with aftermarket cylinder heads.

Old 10-23-2015, 01:34 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

I know of people who've had the GM rectangle port, cast iron heads that had developed cracks between the seats since the 1980's.

I bought 2-pair of cnc'd AFR 315cc heads and cams from Bob Madara back in 2004...I was one of Bob's first customers. A few years ago I bought another 2-sets of AFR heads and cams and other components from Bob for another twin engine project. Most of the time Bob would send the parts first, before I would send the money. I have always respected his consultation and expertise in our discussions.

Also, I have always liked the way Bob has dealt with me over the years and his willingness for both he and my engine builder to work together on my engine projects. If there is anybody that could come up with an excellent head/cam combination, it is Bob Madara.

My engine builder has always inspected and took measurements including honing (if needed) the valve guides to what he knows works for any application.

Anyway, best wishes to you all....and,....You know---you guys be careful with these boats...they're dangerous!
Old 10-23-2015, 11:40 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
ok,i had a set of afr 315 cnc heads that were bought from bob madera checked for valve to guide clearance and got the report today.all intakes ,0015&.0016.all exhaust .0018.these were checked at a very reputable shop that specializes in cylinder heads.these heads were ordered for a 1000 hp supercharged marine engine.just thought i would post my findings.
Couple Q's:

We're the heads new or used? Did the heads require a valve job? Springs checked? Only reason I ask is with reading of Tims deal with springs and such if that was a fluke or every time you order new heads they need torn down and double checked?
Old 10-23-2015, 06:51 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

the heads had app 10 dyno pulls and were removed.while they were off i had them touch up the valves.everything was in speck.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:05 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

the heads had app 10 dyno pulls and were removed.while they were off i had them touch up the valves.everything was in speck.
Why were the heads pulled?
Old 10-23-2015, 07:26 PM
Registered

lets just say the engine developed a problem,but not an issue with the heads.the guy who installed the engine in the boat[me] hooked up some oil lines incorrectly and smoked some bearings.i am standing behind my mistake and fixing it on my dime.yes,even i can fuuk up.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:14 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

lets just say the engine developed a problem,but not an issue with the heads.the guy who installed the engine in the boat[me] hooked up some oil lines incorrectly and smoked some bearings.i am standing behind my mistake and fixing it on my dime.yes,even i can fuuk up.
That sucks bad.
It always scares me sooner or later a mistake will take place.
Scratching a 50k paint job scares me all my profits would be gone and some.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:21 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

In this day and age it is refreshing to see somebody openly admit they made a mistake. In my business I have made it a point to be totally honest, even when it does not cast us in a favorable light. I have found that though it usually costs me initially, I more than make up for it in the long run with customer trust and word of mouth referrals.

I have a new found respect for you Mike.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by donzi matt
In this day and age it is refreshing to see somebody openly admit they made a mistake. In my business I have made it a point to be totally honest, even when it does not cast us in a favorable light. I have found that though it usually costs me initially, I more than make up for it in the long run with customer trust and word of mouth referrals.

I have a new found respect for you Mike.
thanks matt,i did learn from my mistake,i will never trust electric gauge and will always install a mechanical oil pressure test gauge before initial startup in any boat.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:33 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A
That really sucks when something goes awry. But you owned it and that says everything about you! Hope the repair goes well.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by endeavor1
Couple Q's:

We're the heads new or used? Did the heads require a valve job? Springs checked? Only reason I ask is with reading of Tims deal with springs and such if that was a fluke or every time you order new heads they need torn down and double checked?
if my thread shows anything that would be that not many claims of issues with aftermarket heads.i will add that in my opinion company,s like dart and afr might know a thing or two about producing a good cylinder head.can a bad one slip through the cracks once in a while,i would say yes.just like a new car,something can go wrong.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.