Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
problem with aftermarket cylinder heads. >

problem with aftermarket cylinder heads.

Notices

problem with aftermarket cylinder heads.

Old 10-23-2015, 08:49 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by buck35
A
That really sucks when something goes awry. But you owned it and that says everything about you! Hope the repair goes well.
thanks,just waiting on a few things and will soon be reassembling the engine and putting it back in the boat.
Old 10-24-2015, 12:33 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

What needed touched up on the heads if they were in spec? Did you have porting done or was this from the engine/bearings going south. Good on ya with the engine though. If only more people in this world would take ownership in anything they do.

By the way, how much HP is the whipple motors in your beak boat cranking out. Bet that thing flys!
Old 10-24-2015, 07:31 AM
Registered

Received 730 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
if my thread shows anything that would be that not many claims of issues with aftermarket heads.i will add that in my opinion company,s like dart and afr might know a thing or two about producing a good cylinder head.can a bad one slip through the cracks once in a while,i would say yes.just like a new car,something can go wrong.
only guys trying to pedal cylinder head work say aftermarket cylinder heads have a problem.and why your at it,talk to my buddy,he designs custom chitsticks too.and I do mean chit.
Old 10-24-2015, 08:00 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by endeavor1
What needed touched up on the heads if they were in spec? Did you have porting done or was this from the engine/bearings going south. Good on ya with the engine though. If only more people in this world would take ownership in anything they do.

By the way, how much HP is the whipple motors in your beak boat cranking out. Bet that thing flys!
the valves were touched up because the boat owner wanted it done and my whipple engines are just north of 1200 hp so yes it runs pretty good.
Old 10-24-2015, 10:44 AM
Registered

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Sent my heads in to get milled as well as the exhaust valves and springs changed...

They are 2008 vintage / never ran. They were not ordered necessarily for a marine application.. Just their basic off the shelf head.

The intake & exhaust valve guide clearances were BOTH .0018 out of the box...

Doug
Old 10-26-2015, 12:55 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

Raylar head, measured one intake and exhaust guide. .0015" intake, .0017" exhaust out of the box. Valves were not installed dry, installed height was right on.

Time to bolt them on and
Old 10-27-2015, 07:19 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so can any one recommend a GOOD head/engine builder before I waste money on "off the shelf junk" I don't trust anyone local to build a good performance MARINE engine.
Hell I'd wrap a new set of heads in my wifes wedding dress and seat belt one into the passenger seat the other in my kids car seat, then drive them 7-8 hours to chicago or detroit to bring them to a good reputable builder.

I was leaning towards dart or edlebrock heads but after reading through this I'm definatley going to look at unassembled heads and bring bare heads to a good shop to have them put the "non assembly line"
finishing touches on them.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:56 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Try Goodwin Competition. They are west of Oshkosh
Old 10-27-2015, 08:17 PM
Registered

Received 1,250 Likes on 605 Posts

Originally Posted by halfgassed
I was leaning towards dart or edlebrock heads but after reading through this I'm definatley going to look at unassembled heads and bring bare heads to a good shop to have them put the "non assembly line"
finishing touches on them.
Give JimV (Valako) a call about heads. He is in Grand Rapids. He will take care of you all your head questions.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:26 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,177 Likes on 1,433 Posts

Originally Posted by halfgassed
Hell I'd wrap a new set of heads in my wifes wedding dress and seat belt one into the passenger seat the other in my kids car seat, then drive them 7-8 hours to chicago or detroit to bring them to a good reputable builder.

That;s the spirit ! And who could say no to that ? LOL.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.