Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
problem with aftermarket cylinder heads. >

problem with aftermarket cylinder heads.

Notices

problem with aftermarket cylinder heads.

Old 11-06-2015, 06:48 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Anyone check the closed/open pressures on the springs that come with AFR heads for a hydraulic roller setup? With the blue stripe on them. I think they are made/sold by Pioneer? Curious what they come with spring wise
Old 11-06-2015, 07:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Anyone check the closed/open pressures on the springs that come with AFR heads for a hydraulic roller setup? With the blue stripe on them. I think they are made/sold by Pioneer? Curious what they come with spring wise
They no longer use the pioneer spring, stopped using the pioneer spring over a year ago. Mine came with Pac springs
Old 11-06-2015, 07:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ealesh33
They no longer use the pioneer spring, stopped using the pioneer spring over a year ago. Mine came with Pac springs
Was there a way to tell which spring you recieved? I think Full Force Tim's had the pioneer blue stripe spring?

Just looked thru the AFR 2015 catalog, only seeing #8002 blue stripe spring for hydraulic roller. Its listed as a chrome silicon material spring.

http://www.jegs.com/i/AFR-Airflow-Re.../8002/10002/-1

Last edited by MILD THUNDER; 11-06-2015 at 07:31 PM.
Old 11-06-2015, 07:46 PM
Registered

I only know this information cause I dug into it when my builder was checking over the heads and thought the stripe on my springs was blue which is the pioneer spring, and said if they are the pioneer spring we would have to change them. I spoke to AFR directly after talking to Bob and both assured me they were the pac springs, so I went a step further and sent AFR a pic of my spring for clarification and had then send me a pic of the blue stripe spring so I could see for myself. Jerami from AFR said they cleared all inventory of the pioneer spring by September of 2014. the thing is the blue and green stripe are not a clear blue and green like they probably should be

Pic of the green stripe Pac Spring that my builder took

Pic of blue stripe pioneer spring

Old 11-06-2015, 07:58 PM
Registered

I only know this information cause I dug into it when my builder was checking over the heads and thought the stripe on my springs was blue which is the pioneer spring, and said if they are the pioneer spring we would have to change them. I spoke to AFR directly after talking to Bob and both assured me they were the pac springs, so I went a step further and sent AFR a pic of my spring for clarification and had then send me a pic of the blue stripe spring so I could see for myself. Jerami from AFR said they cleared all inventory of the pioneer spring by September of 2014. the thing is the blue and green stripe are not a clear blue and green like they probably should be
Good info, thanks. I'm not as much interested in the brand , but the material of the spring, installed pressures. For example, isky carries chrome silicon springs that cost 200 bucks a set, or Tool Room endurance springs, that cost 450 a set. I believe Pacaloy also has several versions of their spring materials as well. Some for drag, some for stock replacement, some for endurance, etc.

Only reason I am asking, is a buddy is looking into some AFR heads, and trying to weigh the cost of buying assembled, vs bare. He wants a true endurance spring in them. AFR isn't very clear about the actual springs they are supplying, or who they are made by, what part number, etc. They just give you their part number, which doesnt tell you much. Dart at least provides that info, manufacturer of supplied springs, and part number, which you can then research on your own.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:07 PM
Registered

Ealesh, safe to say this info is incorrect , or outdated here? Not seeing a "pac" spring available for the bbc hyd roller application? They still showing the pioneer, with their #8002 .

http://www.airflowresearch.com/valve_spec.php
Old 11-06-2015, 08:08 PM
Registered

they do on their site, but their site is also not accurate, Jerami told me this when we spoke, cause I asked why the pioneer spring was still listed on there if they did carry it anymore, and he said the need to update it, well I just looked and it is still there lol. Also they have changed around their stripe colors on springs. Like they had pioneer springs also marked with black stripes which they don't anymore and the green stripe isn't a hydraulic roller anymore. I assume they did this for QC as the green and blue is kinda close in color, but that's just a guess. There was also contradicting info on different spots of their site which also contributed to my builders concern. He said the pac is a good spring, but the pioneers were basically junk, and if that's what they were we were going to swap them for the isky tool room springs. Here is the email he sent me confirming the pic i sent them was in fact the green strip pac springs.

Old 11-06-2015, 08:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Ealesh, safe to say this info is incorrect , or outdated here? Not seeing a "pac" spring available for the bbc hyd roller application? They still showing the pioneer, with their #8002 .

http://www.airflowresearch.com/valve_spec.php
Yea I wouldn't trust that info on the site, it's different from when i was looking at it over last off season, and there are things added to it from what I remember.

Honestly I would get in touch with AFR and have someone directly address any concerns you may have.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:37 PM
Registered

Yea I wouldn't trust that info on the site, it's different from when i was looking at it over last off season, and there are things added to it from what I remember.

Honestly I would get in touch with AFR and have someone directly address any concerns you may have.
Yes, gotta get in touch with Tim at AFR . Do you remember what your spring pressures were with the supplied springs ?

Thanks for the info .
Old 11-06-2015, 11:35 PM
Registered

Received 4,568 Likes on 1,316 Posts

Fu$% AFR! They`ll send you some $hit box with solid roller springs set up or some pioneer cheap springs with a hand job tight valve guide.
If I were to buy a head for a BBC it be anything but Air Fart Flow.
Hearing great things about BBC Trick Flow heads.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.