How many hours on bigger power stuff?

Notices

How many hours on bigger power stuff?

Old 11-02-2015, 08:14 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
I've always been hesitant to run a meth injection for fear that the customer will let it run out, not realize it's not on, etc. etc. and burn the engine down. If it was my own, then no problem. I have some customers that can't check the oil correctly, so I try to make everything as simple as possible. For lack of a better term, I have to make it dummy proof. lol

However, meth injection is a very viable way to get the job done. As well as cooling the intake charge, it has the added advantage over an intercooler by raising the octane a bit. It definitely works when set up properly.

Sounds like you are getting it dialed in. Good luck with it.
Eddie
I don't blame you. I don't think I would send one out the door with it either. It's definitely something I keep an eye one but couldn't expect the average Joe to do that. I'm running two 1 gallon tanks and they both lasted the whole summer. Although, my WOT passes were very minimal.

Originally Posted by MER Performance
Running methanol through a fuel system is one thing of flushing system to prevent corrosion after the fact, injecting methanol into the intake charge has a cooling effect of the air charge... I guess the question is are you changing the the A/F ratio to correct for fuel and addition of methanol at those points excessive methanol creates moisture within the air charge due to the absorption of moisture, this will cause milking of oil and contamination of oil from UN-burnt methanol....If all these factors are addressed, it's a great power multiplier.
I'm still dialing everything in. Originally my goal was to tune the engine and then have the methanol as backup but I quickly learned that you need to tune it for both. I've also found that my A/F numbers are actually lower "without" the meth and higher by 2 tenths when the meth is on. THe cooling affect and the meth are leaning it out just a little bit. Right now the setup is very rich and I'll be pulling some jet out of it in the spring. The system is set to come on at 4psi and it progressively increases up to max boost. Haven't noticed any milking of the oil what so ever.

A friend of mine is running E85 and meth injection on his 1800hp drag car without intercoolers and it's working unbelievably well. He's been helping me get mine dialed in and we've been talking a lot about what mixtures to run since most of the meth evaporates out of the charge once it travels through the blower.

It's been a fun journey so far.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:29 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Panther
I don't blame you. I don't think I would send one out the door with it either. It's definitely something I keep an eye one but couldn't expect the average Joe to do that. I'm running two 1 gallon tanks and they both lasted the whole summer. Although, my WOT passes were very minimal.

I'm still dialing everything in. Originally my goal was to tune the engine and then have the methanol as backup but I quickly learned that you need to tune it for both. I've also found that my A/F numbers are actually lower "without" the meth and higher by 2 tenths when the meth is on. THe cooling affect and the meth are leaning it out just a little bit. Right now the setup is very rich and I'll be pulling some jet out of it in the spring. The system is set to come on at 4psi and it progressively increases up to max boost. Haven't noticed any milking of the oil what so ever.

A friend of mine is running E85 and meth injection on his 1800hp drag car without intercoolers and it's working unbelievably well. He's been helping me get mine dialed in and we've been talking a lot about what mixtures to run since most of the meth evaporates out of the charge once it travels through the blower.

Have you recorded intake manifold temps with and without the meth turned on?
Old 11-02-2015, 09:49 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Its supposed to drop the intake charge by 150 degrees. I don't have a probe to test it and probably wont bother at this point because I recorded a 1 mph increase on Meth and slight increase in RPM. The bottom line for me is that it's doing its job.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:08 AM
Registered

Received 303 Likes on 145 Posts

1450 horsepower, two summers of running and still haven't adjusted valves, changed the oil, or even changed the spark plugs....
Old 11-02-2015, 10:40 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Its supposed to drop the intake charge by 150 degrees. I don't have a probe to test it and probably wont bother at this point because I recorded a 1 mph increase on Meth and slight increase in RPM. The bottom line for me is that it's doing its job.
Im just curious. We monitored intake temps on icdedppls 10-71 blown 540 with 7-8lbs of boost. No intercooler. Temps were 140-150 in the intake at wot. If meth dropped it 150 deg, then that would mean the intake charge would be 0 deg F! It would be nice to see ambient temps in the manifold though
Old 11-02-2015, 12:13 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Too much fuel will have an effect on a O2 sensor making it read lean....If air volume is the same and fuel, isn't the methanol adding more fuel, but also as we know cooling the air charge ? I'm asking; because you are actually blending the fuel.... what would be the ideal A/F ratio with the blend of gasoline and methanol in the calculation ????
Old 11-02-2015, 02:55 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

My guess would be that an engine would require an incrementally lower A/F ratio with a higher percentage of Alcohol in the gasoline to be safe. The methanol injection is adding more fuel and cooling the air but it's also providing a more complete burn. I don't know what affects water has on all of this equation. The theory makes sense to me but I'm not an engineer, nor am I an expert in the area. It's all new to me but it seems to be working so I'm rolling with it.
Old 11-02-2015, 06:45 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 882 Likes on 410 Posts

LOTS of guys running meth tanks on turbo snowmobiles at the 350 to 500 hp level, yes, guys are getting 450+ hp from 1.1 liter sleds, a few have blown up though at high boost levels when meth ran out or pump malfunctioned, fwiw, Smitty
Old 11-02-2015, 07:03 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
LOTS of guys running meth tanks on turbo snowmobiles at the 350 to 500 hp level, yes, guys are getting 450+ hp from 1.1 liter sleds, a few have blown up though at high boost levels when meth ran out or pump malfunctioned, fwiw, Smitty
That's what scares the hell out of me and has stopped me from using it. It can certainly have it's merits, but there are pitfalls as well.

Mark brought up a great point about AFR's. Straight Methanol has an ideal AFR of something like 7 or 8:1 (I don't know for sure, but I know it's much lower than gas) When you start adding Meth, should the AFR's be brought down. If an engine does it's best at 12.5:1 on straight gas, then what would it be with some Meth mixed in? I guess that would be determined by the amount added, but is it proportional? If you added 10% by volume to the gas, then would the ideal AFR drop by .45 to 12.05:1 (10% the difference between 12.5:1 and 8:1)? I don't know the answer to that. Who does?
Eddie
Old 11-03-2015, 08:11 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

we have been running a drag car turbo LS power 25psi on E85 no intercooler w/meth as well and works great, I tried the same setup on our procharged 509 and even with the smallest jet they said they had slowed the boat down everytime the meth came on...now that was at only 5-6 psi

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.