How many hours on bigger power stuff?

Notices

How many hours on bigger power stuff?

Old 11-03-2015, 08:29 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by ezstriper
we have been running a drag car turbo LS power 25psi on E85 no intercooler w/meth as well and works great, I tried the same setup on our procharged 509 and even with the smallest jet they said they had slowed the boat down everytime the meth came on...now that was at only 5-6 psi
Similar setup as my buddy but it's a 540, twin turbo @25psi. Somewhere between 1700-2000hp. Car runs 7.70 @185 on the back wheels through the 1/8th. :-0
Old 11-03-2015, 08:33 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Young Performance
That's what scares the hell out of me and has stopped me from using it. It can certainly have it's merits, but there are pitfalls as well.

Mark brought up a great point about AFR's. Straight Methanol has an ideal AFR of something like 7 or 8:1 (I don't know for sure, but I know it's much lower than gas) When you start adding Meth, should the AFR's be brought down. If an engine does it's best at 12.5:1 on straight gas, then what would it be with some Meth mixed in? I guess that would be determined by the amount added, but is it proportional? If you added 10% by volume to the gas, then would the ideal AFR drop by .45 to 12.05:1 (10% the difference between 12.5:1 and 8:1)? I don't know the answer to that. Who does?
Eddie
I'm shooting for 11.5 - 11.8. Currently at 11.2.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:42 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
That's what scares the hell out of me and has stopped me from using it. It can certainly have it's merits, but there are pitfalls as well.

Mark brought up a great point about AFR's. Straight Methanol has an ideal AFR of something like 7 or 8:1 (I don't know for sure, but I know it's much lower than gas) When you start adding Meth, should the AFR's be brought down. If an engine does it's best at 12.5:1 on straight gas, then what would it be with some Meth mixed in? I guess that would be determined by the amount added, but is it proportional? If you added 10% by volume to the gas, then would the ideal AFR drop by .45 to 12.05:1 (10% the difference between 12.5:1 and 8:1)? I don't know the answer to that. Who does?
Eddie
Stoich for methanol is about 6.5, but this only applies if you're using a methanol afr scale. The O2 sensor reads lambda and then converts it to afr. On the gas scale you'll still want to tune for similar gas afr numbers with the meth, but can usually pick up a bit of power by leaning it out a hair because you don't need the excessive rich mixture that you'd have with straight gas. All the water should have evaporated a loong time before it gets near the O2 sensor, and has no effect on the reading. With a good efi system, you can protect the engine just like you would with any other critical support sytem by monitoring tank level, pressure, flow, etc. and programming the necessary safeguards if something isn't right.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:53 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

My system also has an activation light (green) and tank level light (red) on the dash.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:05 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I was told that while the meth raises the octane so to speak, it also slows the burn down as well, and unless your tune requires it, the gains are minimal. Kind of like putting 93 octane in a stock 454 mag, not gonna do a whole lot. So, it was recommended that in a low boost application, that normally can run fine on 93 octane, pure water, or water with a light mixture of methonal was the way to go. Now, high boost, where say C16 fuel may be needed, than higher concentrations of meth is the way to go . Apparently water itself, does an excellent job of cooling the charge, but doesnt require the fine tuning of fuel ratios, burn speeds, etc.

Just the way it was explained to me.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:40 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed
Stoich for methanol is about 6.5, but this only applies if you're using a methanol afr scale. The O2 sensor reads lambda and then converts it to afr. On the gas scale you'll still want to tune for similar gas afr numbers with the meth, but can usually pick up a bit of power by leaning it out a hair because you don't need the excessive rich mixture that you'd have with straight gas. All the water should have evaporated a loong time before it gets near the O2 sensor, and has no effect on the reading. With a good efi system, you can protect the engine just like you would with any other critical support sytem by monitoring tank level, pressure, flow, etc. and programming the necessary safeguards if something isn't right.
Thanks for the explanation Haxor. I've never used it so I wasn't sure. Makes sense though.
Eddie
Old 11-03-2015, 09:52 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Long time no see. Good to have you back Alex
Old 11-03-2015, 10:36 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,271 Likes on 1,465 Posts

I'm sure he's glad the orange motors are gone
Old 11-03-2015, 11:17 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Have you seen any benefits of meth injection on low boost applications. I was under the assumption it doesn't work with low boost. To take advantage of the cooling effect you really have to dump some methanol in the motor which leads to an overly rich condition with lower boost levels.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:26 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 33outlawsst
I'm sure he's glad the orange motors are gone
But are they right yet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.