? HP to hit 80 mph

Notices

? HP to hit 80 mph

Old 09-20-2002, 01:28 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts
Default You're gonna have to compomise

Sounds like you have a dilemna on your hands. I know you want to go 80 mph. But as you stated in an earlier post, it is a lake boat, and you also like to go skiing.

1st, if you build the boat for speed your probably gonna have to sacrafice skiing. Majority of the time, a boat build for speed is not logical for Skiing. Your gonna blow drives and couplers with all those quick starts to pull a skiier. Let alone the fact you will need to have thru hull exhaust, and you won't even be able to hear the skier say anything. you'll have to use sign language.

2nd. How large is the lake you keep it on? Are you going to race across the 3 mile lake at 80mph.

If I were you I would make a compromise, and ask yourself what do you primarily want to use the boat for? I always have ill advised people ask me to take them water skiing on my boat. I would never waste the gas it takes to constantly have to get on and off plane. I would also not want to be rebuilding my drives, and transmissions all the time.

Also, if your skiing you will only tow a person at like 30mph or less. With the big motor this is gonna be hard to do. Your not even gonna get the lump out of the cam at those cruising speeds. A bigger cam should be run over 3000rpm depending on the lift, duration, etc.
Old 09-20-2002, 04:18 PM
DonMan

Panther, I always welcome opinions from all members, that`s what this is all about. In your last post, I feel you were off on several points. Allow me to reply to your comments as to provide my side.
I really don`t feel like I will be sacrificing the boats ability to pull skiiers. First off, a simple prop change will cure most of the things you were concerned about. My boat is pretty light (by most standards) and does not require a balls-out, kamakazi start to get a skiier up. Propping down will help this even more so. Thru-hull exhaust? My boat has ALWAYS had thru-hull exhaust. In fact it is a 5" diameter system from Stainless Marine that I added last winter. It is EXTREMELY LOUD. We always use hand signals. It is the safest way to communicate. Ever ski behind an outboard? Can`t hear over those either. I boat on two different lakes, like everything else here in Texas, they are pretty large. Ever heard of Lake Texoma? Labor Day Poker Run, one of the premier events on the circuit. As far as primary use, I typically just cruise, float or blast across the lake. We ski / wakeboard only when the water is like glass. All my ski buddies go about 34 mph, right at 3000 rpm with a 23" prop and trimmed all the way down. With a 19" or 21" it`s way over 3000, but can`t remember, we use 23" all the time. With all this being said, if bigger horsepower changes the towing characteristics of my boat, I can always ski behind my buddies boat, it is designed for that purpose. THen we can use mine for a quick adrenaline rush!

Old 09-20-2002, 09:43 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Points well taken

Don, I hear ya! Its just very rare to see a boat with a high horse big block to be used for skiing. Depending on the horsepower you'll be making (600hp to 80mph) you may have driveability issues while towing skiiers, and idleing for long periods of time. You may have a lot of fouled out spark plugs. Chances are with that amount of power you'll be running a pretty big wheel to get top end speed. Probably 28" to 30" pitch prop. If you run the small props for skiing you'll always have to have a spare prop on board if you plan on going fast. I just wanted to see what your boating priorities were. If you can sacrafice all this stuff than go for the speed. Good luck, just making sure you thought about everything.
Old 09-21-2002, 09:26 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are planning on keeping the boat, waste no more time and get some full hydraulic steering. The sooner you get it the less wear your gimble ring will have for when you do get the cash to go fast, and it will be much safer. Single ram is fine, but get it all the way to the helm. A small boat needs to be driven and you cannot drive a boat with sloppy steering. That will run you around $2500.00. With that said I would trust Brad Perrys HP estimate for what it takes to do 80 MPH in that boat since he has been there. I would take some of the comments and warnings about messing with your motor to heart. It WILL be frustrating at times and don't kid yourself, it will be expensive. On the other hand, going fast in small boats on small lakes is a blast. My 1990 Baja 210 Sport goes mid 90's and gets there quick enough to be there and back to zero in less than a mile. Thats fun!!! I did all of the work on my boat and thats rewarding. A lot of guys buy their performance, which would be nice, but it is also pretty fun to pass those guys up from time to time when the conditions are right. Remember SAFETY FIRST especially on a small lake where families are boating.
Old 09-21-2002, 09:28 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well said WV!!!
Old 09-21-2002, 11:18 AM
DonMan

Hydraulic steering is in my plans. I will upgrade to that before I even pull out my current engine.
I am very cautious when it comes to driving fast around other boaters, especially PWC`s. I just don`t go fast if there is any traffic around. I work in a large manufacturing facility and they preach safety to us constantly. I guess it has rubbed off. I try to be as safe as possible in everything I do, even mowing the lawn!

Old 09-21-2002, 07:12 PM
bajah2x105

My 1990 Baja 210 Sport goes mid 90's and gets there quick enough to be there and back to zero in less than a mile.

WETTEVETTE, That sounds like a good time to me! How often do you have to tighten up the screws in your bolsters from that kind of acceleration? One hell of a ride man!

Last edited by bajah2x105; 09-21-2002 at 07:17 PM.

Old 09-23-2002, 08:21 AM
Brad Perry

Default I'm an example!!

"I would take some of the comments and warnings about messing with your motor to heart. It WILL be frustrating at times and don't kid yourself, it will be expensive. "

Especially when mechanics sabotage your ****!!

Old 09-23-2002, 03:37 PM
DonMan

For this winter, I think I`m just going to get rid of the fuel injection and swap to a bigger cam. Dennis Moore gave me some good info on what to go with. I hope to reach low 70`s in the springtime.