Volvo DuoProp question >

Volvo DuoProp question

Notices

Volvo DuoProp question

Old 09-18-2002, 01:55 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Volvo DuoProp question

Does anyone know how much horsepower a Volvo Duoprop drive can handle? Is it internally the same as the DPX drive? I have a customer wanting to put a 540 in front of a Duoprop. I've run over 500 hp with an SX drive with no problem, but don't know about the DP.
Old 09-19-2002, 12:43 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

OK...I know there are some Volvo guys out there. Anybody?
Old 09-26-2002, 08:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybe there arent any volvo guys ! amazing the hold merc has on hi perf! dps duo prop is rated for up to 425 hp and is internally very diff from dpx duo prop (aside from the obvious built in hyd steering ) I have a fourwinns unlimited19 (donzi classic 18 look-alike) with a 500hp 5.8 ford and a dps drive (ford and a volvo I can hear the booing now ) over 300 hours and never a prob.volvo makes a great drive !(dps are often hard shifting)dpx would be a better choice but they are expensive
good luck
Old 09-26-2002, 11:16 PM
blackhawk

jcap,

What do you have done to your U-19 to get 500 hp? What kind of speeds are you getting?

I have two friends with U-19s and they both want to get more power and speed. Not to many choices for the Fords and Volvos out there.

By the way, those U boats are bad-ass boats!

Old 09-29-2002, 07:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey blackhawk,

I am amazed you even heard of the u19, and yes its an amazing little hull.I have a 1996 u 19 (red)with a 5.8fi and a dp drive.I love the boat but just didnt get enough speed (ran about 68mph)I put a crate 5.8 from ford motorsport ,had a local speed shop that specializes in mustangs build the motor.dynoed at 498hp.It still handles amazing and runs about 84mph.I need more prop but the f9 ss volvo props are the highest available and nobody likes working on those props.Few people know but that boat was from a mold that was designed by Don Arnow himself! donzi guys all call the boat a donzi ripoff but the truth is it is an improved version of the classic 18 . the boats were only made 2 seasons 1996 and 1997 and both donzi and fourwinns were owned by the same corp.at that time . I am on long island and have never even seen another ! there is a u17 around , id lov to hear about your friends boat !My boat has been every , we traveled up the hudson river , circled manhatten, the statue of liberty, lake george,cheasepeake,ive had that boat on lakes and in the atlantic in 6 foot whitecaps and its handled it all and still looks immaculate.I kept the factory 5.8 fi engine , it ran great and was very reliable but not much you can do to hop it up
if i ever sell the boat i will put that engine back in
Old 09-30-2002, 05:56 PM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 15,461 Likes on 3,993 Posts

Check with Reindl Powerboats we run small blocks in a 24 ft bat boat and beat them with Zero failures in some big water, the new 28 has a beefed up 500 and we will see how that run.
i have seen a older dpx with a bigblock gernade it self under race conditions, could not determine the cause though. they seem to be good though 500 hp though, hardest part is prop selection is limited. but they have a good selection of gear ratios.
Old 10-01-2002, 10:41 PM
blackhawk

My friend buying his U-17 is what got me hooked on performance boating. That thing was a fricken slingshot! The following year he sold the 17 and got a 19(1996). The 1997's were slower and a lot uglier! Anyway, the following year I started looking for a U-boat or a Donzi. I happened to stumble on my Donzi and could not pass it up.

The U-boats are built rock solid and the Duoprop sure seems to be bulletproof. my buddy was wondering about props too he said the props that come on them are the most aggressive they offer. He was talking to a guy here in Michigan about building a motor.

Just curious, did you do anything with your hull at all? I know that hull has a pretty good hook in it. How much hp are you pushing to get 84 mph? Is the chine walk the same, better or worse at 80+. I always told him that I think that hull would drive "through" the chine walk.

I think the U-boat would have been more successful if Hot boat or Powerboat or whoever it was wouldn't have said it was "unsafe" and they would have stuck with the 1996 color scheme and power. Just my .02. Four Winns still had a semi-performance image from the Liberator. I wish they would have stuck it out.

Oh well, bad ass boat anyway. If I ever go to a smaller V-hull it will be a U-boat. I always thought a U-17 with a supercharged 5.0 would be a blast!

Old 10-01-2002, 10:44 PM
blackhawk

Whoops, I missed the 498 hp in your post. Can you change the gearing in your drive instead of having props worked?

Old 10-02-2002, 05:58 AM
Thomas

My friends are running a 499cui/809hp to a dpx - no problems so far.

Rgds,
Thomas

Old 10-02-2002, 07:09 AM
Offshore Addiction

I beleive the only problem youll run across is the lower unit input shaft needs to be upgraded,the original shafts are desingned to breakaway,the replacement shafts are thicker and the coupler between the head and the shaft are now designed to break.had a customer with a 270,in a 24 faulken with over 600 ponies,only snapped the drive when it flipped up at 80 mph.

Quick Reply: Volvo DuoProp question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.