TBS 871 to BDS 1471 questions? >

TBS 871 to BDS 1471 questions?

Notices

TBS 871 to BDS 1471 questions?

Old 02-22-2017, 05:27 PM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by JRider
BTW, I pretty much scrapped this blower swap idea. I think the money would be better spent on props. Right now my props put me at a cruise speed of 100 at 4400rpm...I would like to get that cruise rpm down some. A 5k for a set of used #6 5 blades gets a little salty...
I'd like to have a cruise speed of a 100 mph!!! Some of us poor guys have to do all we can to hit 90 at wot. Lol.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:18 PM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

Don't mean to hijack your thread jrider but what are you SC guys doing for crank case ventilation? Going to be running tbs 871's and was kinda hoping to get away with my existing Hardin marine valve covers with the tall rectangular breathers. Should I plan to punch another hole in each cover and plumb to arrestor. From recent pics I've seen looks like that's the norm. Last 420's I ended up installing springs on the dipsticks but the short blocks were getting near rebuild at that time.

I'm just trying to eliminate any unforeseen bs that could be eliminated sooner than later plus I like to do things right. I suppose having both breathers and a 10 or 12 AN up from each would be the way to go. Any insight from experience?
Old 02-22-2017, 08:46 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I am running 8-71s with a -12 line in each valve cover going to the arrestor.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:03 AM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by getrdunn
Don't mean to hijack your thread jrider but what are you SC guys doing for crank case ventilation? Going to be running tbs 871's and was kinda hoping to get away with my existing Hardin marine valve covers with the tall rectangular breathers. Should I plan to punch another hole in each cover and plumb to arrestor. From recent pics I've seen looks like that's the norm. Last 420's I ended up installing springs on the dipsticks but the short blocks were getting near rebuild at that time.

I'm just trying to eliminate any unforeseen bs that could be eliminated sooner than later plus I like to do things right. I suppose having both breathers and a 10 or 12 AN up from each would be the way to go. Any insight from experience?
I'm glad you did hijack it, I think I actually had another thread on the subject and was told I need to rebuild my motors. I have the similar valve covers and had some oil dripping out of the breathers after a hard run. Pulled the breather caps and was not happy with the breather material. Was instructed to use chore boy pot copper pot scrubbers for a medium which seemed to work well. I know I have some blow by but not enough to warrant a rebuild, especially when it was mid season.

My backup plan was to pull the breather caps off, fab some 1/4" block off plates, drill for pipe thread (one on each bank) and run a puke tank. Had too many other issues to fart with it last year so I just stuck with the original setup.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]565023[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails TBS 871 to BDS 1471 questions?-20160625_025517.jpg