Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Dash board upgrade >

Dash board upgrade

Notices

Dash board upgrade

Old 09-20-2002, 11:32 AM
rockdaddy

Default Dash board upgrade

I would like to upgrade by Dash with new gauges and change the backing from black to white
I was woundering what material should I use for the backing and where to get it?
any suggesting?

Old 09-20-2002, 12:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have a pic of your dash? Could help seeing what you have to make suggessions on a material type.
Old 09-20-2002, 12:38 PM
tommy v

Cool

i used a sheet of white fiberglass cut to size and had vinyl design put over it came out great

Old 09-20-2002, 12:55 PM
Registered

Default new dash

well , i have a little experience with that.

over the winter, i re did the dash on my 24 baja which has a slight bend. I used 1/4" yellow lexan which looked great. unfortunately, the first day out in slight chop it cracked at the screw holes under pressure. too brittle i guess. I just finished the dash on a 28 pantera and used 1/4" aluminum and painted it with catalyzed polyurethane and it looks great and is holding up so far. the 1/4" was a bit over kill. i think you could get away with 1/8" and do just fine. As far a gauges, go with Gaffrig. you have a million color combos.

good luck
Old 09-20-2002, 05:10 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

RD-

Aluminum is the material of choice. Doesn't crack, can be anodized or painted, can be cut and bent with "normal" tools.

I did mine a couple years ago. Fortunately the original was aluminum, so I just cut a couple more holes for gauges and had it powder coated white. Took the panel to a local graphics shop where they made a custom switch panel decal. They were able to find my boat's company logo on some software they had, and printed up a really nice decal for the top of the dash. I was worried about them coming off or curling at the edges, but so far they still look great (but then again, I keep the boat covered ).

I used white faced Gaffrig's with blue bezels. Did all the wiring myself, and I'm no mechanic! Makes it look like a new boat, at least from the inside .
Old 09-20-2002, 06:29 PM
Registered

Default dash panel

if you dont plan on relocating your gauges and your happy with the setup, just have your existing panel painted. there are several paints you can use that will be very durable. then, just replace the gauges. just another thought.
Old 09-20-2002, 07:10 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

do it in aluminum. make a plan of tha guages you want.draw it out on paper and bring it to a laser cutter. They will do the cad for you geteth metal and cut it out and everythign will ook perfect. I just finishe dup my dasha nd it turned otu great wasn;t that expensive either.
Old 09-20-2002, 07:14 PM
Registered

HEY PUDER

I THINK WE'RE GONNA HAVE TO ASK YOU IF YOU'VE HAD ANYTHING TO DRINK THIS EVENING. TYPING WHILE UNDER THE INFLUENCE IS A FELONY. A COMPUTER IS CONSIDERED HEAVY EQUIPMENT.
Old 09-21-2002, 12:29 AM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

not any worse than usual.
Old 09-21-2002, 09:10 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Don't worry about puder, Bruce- he always types like that. After awhile, you'll understand everything he writes. It's kinda like his dialect

Quick Reply: Dash board upgrade

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.