Off the shelf cam options for marine engines

Notices

Off the shelf cam options for marine engines

Old 02-15-2016, 01:40 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed
For guys that aren't comfortable running 10/40 or lighter, I have never had a problem with Amsoil dominator 15/50 and Morel lifters.
That is what I run. According to Amsoil it's more like a 10W/50 but they market it as a 15W.
Old 02-15-2016, 01:48 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mike tkach
this may be a little off topic but i believe johnson makes the lifters that get installed in the gm ls supercharged corvette engine.can anyone confirm that,maybe scott.[horsepower1].
Not something I'm familiar with, sorry.
Old 02-15-2016, 01:50 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,177 Likes on 1,433 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Good info. Heres a list of morel dealers.
Thanks.

I just wanted to make sure people clicked on the following links, as many of us hold Isky, Crower, and Teague (since he has been a long time offshore builder/racer) in very high regards.

Not sure if that part of my post got through ? If it did, disregard me posting it again.

Old 02-15-2016, 01:53 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
Thanks.

I just wanted to make sure people clicked on the following links, as many of us hold Isky, Crower, and Teague (since he has been a long time offshore builder/racer) in very high regards.

Not sure if that part of my post got through ? If it did, disregard me posting it again.
I could be wrong, but I think that has as much to do with availability as it does durability.
Old 02-15-2016, 01:54 PM
Registered

Received 67 Likes on 39 Posts

Just looking at some of Lunati EFI cams and it seems to me you would just use stock GM rollers on the lower duration cams at least; low intensity and moderate lift (below the Gen 6 lifter retainer), maybe needing not more than 140# in the seat. The good deal here is that a stock GM lifter may be your best choice and much less $$$. Don't know about the Johnson's other than being high dollar, but the Morels I have require a minimum of 150# on the seat. Any issues as to what I have suggested? The idea of a 500+ hour motor with 500hp is very appealing to me and I'm pretty sure it can be done with mild lifts and moderate duration. Most vendors want to see you at a higher horsepower level = $$$$. I would actually pay the same for the above request. I love the idea of not babying the drive.
Old 02-15-2016, 02:02 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,177 Likes on 1,433 Posts

Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed
I could be wrong, but I think that has as much to do with availability as it does durability.
You could be correct. I also don't know. I know Isky used Morel alot.

Crower and Isky are very well known for their high quality valve train components, and Teague of course being in high hp offshore marine pleasure and racing for a long time....just interesting they have switched to the Johnsons.

Would be cool if someone has a contact in these three companies and find out the real reason why.

Last edited by SB; 02-15-2016 at 02:31 PM.
Old 02-15-2016, 02:16 PM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 101 Posts

There's lots of great brands and products out there.

What I gather is Morel was highly recommended, then all of a sudden junk compared to Johnson. When in reality Morel are STILL highly recommended by many people, and Johnson are fine also.

My builder has had problems and success with both
Old 02-15-2016, 02:27 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Doing a cam and carb swap at one time, and finding 30hp is great. But going on the internet and saying the cam change got you 30hp, is a bit skewed.
Years ago, I went from a Lunati flat tappet blower cam over to the Crane 138631 and picked up over 110hp without changing any of the other hard parts. The Lunati cam was too small for my cubic inches and was robbing HP and also causing excessive combustion chamber head, trashing valves and seats and just a ticking time bomb... The cam that was originally specced by the Lunati tech rep was way too small so the gains I made were simply because the engine was allowed to breathe. But that's water under the bridge!
Old 02-15-2016, 04:08 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

I know the johnsons took my solid roller spring pressures for almost 2 hours no issues LOL Also the full body wont fork out at the bottom, I think there are oiling features also, you can run 20-50 with them, but I also had Johnson increase oiling to rockers for early season use, that may be something guys wanna consider asking about if you run cold water temps.

I will say I established a friendship with the engineer at Johnson and the help and advice he has given me has been amazing customer service, feels good I can send a message a pick his brain and he will help me out, even if it's just for learning info....
Old 02-15-2016, 04:19 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Full Force
I know the johnsons took my solid roller spring pressures for almost 2 hours no issues LOL Also the full body wont fork out at the bottom, I think there are oiling features also, you can run 20-50 with them, but I also had Johnson increase oiling to rockers for early season use, that may be something guys wanna consider asking about if you run cold water temps.

I will say I established a friendship with the engineer at Johnson and the help and advice he has given me has been amazing customer service, feels good I can send a message a pick his brain and he will help me out, even if it's just for learning info....
I had a customer call me last year all in a panic. Had put a set of AFR's on a pair of engines (offshore deal) and had HR cams and Morel lifters. I don't remember exactly how many hours he had on the engines, but they were in for routine maintenance. He had the valve covers off and realized that the AFR heads still had the Pac 1224 solid roller springs on them which are about 280 on the seat. He was worried that he might have hurt the lifters. I asked him if there was ever a problem with the engines, whether a lifter ever collapsed or if the engines ever ran funny. He said no, they ran perfect. Never made a noise, never missed a beat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.