Off the shelf cam options for marine engines >

Off the shelf cam options for marine engines

Notices

Off the shelf cam options for marine engines

Old 02-15-2016, 04:21 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Seems these brands of lifters can take some pressures then, I never ran morel, so I cannot say good or bad, or what one is better, I just know what I have and been told by Engineer about features... Mine seem ok so far to me lol

Originally Posted by horsepower1
I had a customer call me last year all in a panic. Had put a set of AFR's on a pair of engines (offshore deal) and had HR cams and Morel lifters. I don't remember exactly how many hours he had on the engines, but they were in for routine maintenance. He had the valve covers off and realized that the AFR heads still had the Pac 1224 solid roller springs on them which are about 280 on the seat. He was worried that he might have hurt the lifters. I asked him if there was ever a problem with the engines, whether a lifter ever collapsed or if the engines ever ran funny. He said no, they ran perfect. Never made a noise, never missed a beat.
Old 02-15-2016, 05:30 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Back to cams, as phragle mentioned earlier, theres been literally 10s of thousands of 454 and 502 builds in the last several years. Some carbed,some efi, there should be a fairly common recipe for an extra 100 horses that will live a great while, and not eat up bravos, as the cost conscious are concerned about.
Personally , I'm staddled with a mefi 1 controller so there seems no easy way out, carbed aps have a better chance at in boat tuning to insure survivability after mods.
I'm not quite prehistoric, but pretty darn close so tuning in a boat on a laptop....nahh, aint happening.
Old 02-15-2016, 05:50 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

I agree at this point unless you have a serious custom engine, a shelf cam works fine for most, I mean nearly all other 540's made more power then mine, they are built right, compression tested great, dynode nearly identical and just are not big HP at all...

too bad my designer would never chime in and offer his thoughts as to why, good or bad he should... if nothing else defend his build he spec'd
Old 02-15-2016, 06:06 PM
Registered

Received 4,567 Likes on 1,315 Posts

I ran straight 50 weight with my High Rev Morels . No issues. Then again I never start it in less that 70* temp. Possibly that 10w40 recommendation could be for automotive where starting temps may be way lower.
Old 02-15-2016, 06:10 PM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by buck35
Back to cams, as phragle mentioned earlier, theres been literally 10s of thousands of 454 and 502 builds in the last several years. Some carbed,some efi, there should be a fairly common recipe for an extra 100 horses that will live a great while, and not eat up bravos, as the cost conscious are concerned about.
Personally , I'm staddled with a mefi 1 controller so there seems no easy way out, carbed aps have a better chance at in boat tuning to insure survivability after mods.
I'm not quite prehistoric, but pretty darn close so tuning in a boat on a laptop....nahh, aint happening.
Buck,

I did a healthy 540 MPI build with a MEFI 1 controller. I still have ecu a d matching cam as a matter of fact. Roughly 9.2 CR, AZSM extrude honed lower intake, dart 308 iron eagles, custom cam. Stock injectors. Was an awesome motor while it lasted. Suffered NON-VALVETRAIN related issues......oil pickup that fell off to be exact and spun Bearings......lessons learned blah blah. Should have just bought new block and put that one back together as it was but got greedy.....ditched MPI and MEFI, went to AFR's and rest of the koolaid. It was supposed to be 600-620 hp and was every bit of it based on boat speeds. I don't know what your plan is, but Mark Boos did the programming by mail and hardly needed an adjustment after initial start up. He is the man for mail order tunes. I still have that cam and matching ecu if you are interested.
Old 02-15-2016, 06:11 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is CID, rpm and the heads that determine a camshaft. If you were to take 3 502's and put Dart Pro 1, Brodix BB-1, and AFR305 and set a peak of 5800 rpm on all 3 you could make the same amount of power but all 3 would require a different cam to make that power. To me here lies the issue with comparing combinations. Catalog cams should include what cylinder head to be used with it. An AFR head will not require much duration split, so a single pattern in most cases works just fine. A Brodix headed engine usually needs a good amount of split based on their I/E ratio.
Old 02-15-2016, 06:16 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
I agree at this point unless you have a serious custom engine, a shelf cam works fine for most, I mean nearly all other 540's made more power then mine, they are built right, compression tested great, dynode nearly identical and just are not big HP at all...

too bad my designer would never chime in and offer his thoughts as to why, good or bad he should... if nothing else defend his build he spec'd
You say your engines are down on power compared to the ones built like yours. Were they all ran on the same dyno as yours? How are the speeds of your boat at WOT?
Old 02-15-2016, 06:35 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Struab or anyone, which off the self cam would you recommend for a 540ci 8.2-1 morel lifters dart pro 1 345 and 8-71 blower 5-6lbs of boost?
Old 02-15-2016, 07:22 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 272lsformula
Struab or anyone, which off the self cam would you recommend for a 540ci 8.2-1 morel lifters dart pro 1 345 and 8-71 blower 5-6lbs of boost?
What rpm do you want to make peak power? I used the biggest lunati efi cam in a 540 with ported 088 heads, 3.3 whipple at around 7#s boost. It picked up 1 or 2 mph from the custom cam that made 830 hp with the same combo. So, I'm guessing it was around 850. I think it pulled to right around 6000 in the boat. I used the Lunati voodoo 245 / 255 in some 557's with afr 335's and 4.0 whipple made 1080hp fully dressed through e-tops at 58 or 5900, 10#s boost.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:29 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

6000 rpm. Dry exhaust pump gas 92 oct. no intercoolers yet so trying to keep the blower speed down.
Thanks for the response.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.