Off the shelf cam options for marine engines >

Off the shelf cam options for marine engines

Notices

Off the shelf cam options for marine engines

Old 02-16-2016, 11:09 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Quite possible. I dont think the duration change was more than a couple degrees. This was also a 522 inch engine. That cam was from terry at custom cams i wanna say.

Marine kinetics did a cam for this engine when converted to roots and afr heads. It made 1020hp at 6700rpm with 10lbs of boost. Cam was a standard cam core .842 hyd lifter. Duration was 245/253 113LSA, with lift something like .697/681 or somethint like that. Ill have to dig up the cam card . Engines have dyno time only, so it will be intersting how they hold up in the boat. Kind of scary hearing and seeing some of the carnage with similar setups now.
The guy down at the marina has a 540 n/a 24x 25x .780 .7xx standard core standard lifter. 5 years same lifters 3 world championships. Only thing that has failed in the motor was the Rolon timing chain. Which in the last 2 years have been known to fail. That motor spins 6700 rpm and is a touch over 800hp...
Old 02-16-2016, 11:20 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Baja
The guy down at the marina has a 540 n/a 24x 25x .780 .7xx standard core standard lifter. 5 years same lifters 3 world championships. Only thing that has failed in the motor was the Rolon timing chain. Which in the last 2 years have been known to fail. That motor spins 6700 rpm and is a touch over 800hp...
do you know the brand of the cam,lifters&valve springs in that engine?edit in.after rereading your post .780 lift i am pretty sure this is a solid roller setup,not hyd roller.

Last edited by mike tkach; 02-16-2016 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:46 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mike tkach
do you know the brand of the cam,lifters&valve springs in that engine?edit in.after rereading your post .780 lift i am pretty sure this is a solid roller setup,not hyd roller.
Yes it's solid. Comp cams is what he uses for cams. The lifters are Jesel. He also does a 540 hydraulic setup .680 lift 250 seat pressure morel lifter. I forget the open and duration numbers. They spin 6300 and after 100hr tear down they show no signs of tear up. I'll find out the other numbers on the cam and spring pressure. He does however use the limited travel lifter on solid lobes...
Old 02-16-2016, 11:53 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes it's solid. Comp cams is what he uses for cams. The lifters are Jesel. He also does a 540 hydraulic setup .680 lift 250 seat pressure morel lifter. I forget the open and duration numbers. They spin 6300 and after 100hr tear down they show no signs of tear up. I'll find out the other numbers on the cam and spring pressure. He does however use the limited travel lifter on solid lobes...
Is Steve Conniff the engine builder?
Old 02-16-2016, 11:54 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I was looking thru comps master lobe catalog yesterday for myself. They have alot to pick from. Pretty easy to spec your own cam with the lobes they have avail. For myself, i would prob stick with their marine hi lift series. For a lobe in the duration id be needing, id be in the .620-646 range lift wise. But im not racing the boat in a restricted class, i just like running hard once a while, and hitting the beach...
Old 02-16-2016, 11:57 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by StraubTech
Is Steve Conniff the engine builder?
Steve does the machine work. Tony at CMS does the final assembly. The two of them are very tight.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:03 PM
Registered

I was looking thru comps master lobe catalog yesterday for myself. They have alot to pick from. Pretty easy to spec your own cam with the lobes they have avail. For myself, i would prob stick with their marine hi lift series. For a lobe in the duration id be needing, id be in the .620-646 range lift wise. But im not racing the boat in a restricted class, i just like running hard once a while, and hitting the beach...
Thats what I'm going to do. Have a call in to Comp presently to find out what they have that will go on a 55mm core and be aggressive but gentle at the same time. I'm just going to pick my own lobes from now on. I can't see paying all the extra money for someone to pick cam lobes anymore.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:06 PM
Banned

Huge difference in core quality and grinding in the industry these days. Big changes have gone on since 2008.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:07 PM
Banned

Steve does the machine work. Tony at CMS does the final assembly. The two of them are very tight.
Steve has been a customer for a few years now.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by StraubTech
Steve has been a customer for a few years now.
From what I understand they just bought in to Morel.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.