Off the shelf cam options for marine engines

Notices

Off the shelf cam options for marine engines

Old 02-16-2016, 02:50 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GPM
That's like giving a hand gun to a kid. LOL better be carful. Love that list.
Old 02-16-2016, 03:42 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by 14 apache
That's like giving a hand gun to a kid. LOL better be carful. Love that list.
Just something to compare when you're looking at the Comp Cams master list. I've run several with no complaints, have one on order that should be shipped this week.
Old 02-16-2016, 03:58 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

i have made a few posts on this thread and read them all.because of some of these posts i got nervous about the cams in a pair of blown engines i built.i know that in threads like this you will see all kinds of opinions,some from people that know what they are talking about and some from people who don,t have a clue.i also know that a lot of posts will come from personal dislikes from people who have never met in person but for one reason or another just don,t like someone.i have been guilty of forming opinions myself from time to time and even argued with some members.i have no desire to argue with people about this thread and will keep my thoughts to myself about some of the posts.i made some phone calls after posting my concernes about the cams in these engines and i am no longer worried.some people might be surprised to know that bob does not design the lobes on his cams,that is done by kip,the owner of cam motions.i was surprised to learn that cam motions has thousands of lobes they use that are proven time and time again and the lobe profile on my cams in question came from this master list.i will add that every cam i have got from bob has been a high quality part made from an 8620 steel core.imo you won,t find a material better than 8620 for a marine endurance engine.when you buy a cam from bob you also get the correct dist gear at a cost of 1 penny.i am not taking any sides on this thread,i am simply stating some facts i learned today.
Old 02-16-2016, 04:20 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I was going to post that info about cam motion mike, but didn't want to get involved in an Internet war. The person who helps me with my stuff has a relationship with them and they confirmed what you just posted yesterday.

Cam motion has been in business for roughly 30 years and I'm pretty sure they know what works and what does not.

As you said, lots of personal and behind the scenes feelings at play here. Unfortunately, this thread may cause, not only marine kinetics some business, but cam motion as well.
Old 02-16-2016, 04:21 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very few cam "designers" can actually design a lobe from scratch. Most work from some sort of iteration program and select an existing lobe form someone's library. One reason I respect Chris so much when it comes to cams...he can design a lobe for your Briggs and Stratton if you need one. Calculating the necessary events is the trick. Picking the lobe is easy.I;ve been doing this stuff for a long time now and I won't even begin to try to choose my own cam specs. I have no problem deferring to the experts in some things.

Last edited by horsepower1; 02-16-2016 at 04:23 PM.
Old 02-16-2016, 04:24 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 209 Likes on 133 Posts

So what does Kip say? I had someone call him last week but we did not get a straight answer about high lift low duration... curious what he said.
Old 02-16-2016, 04:26 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
So what does Kip say? I had someone call him last week but we did not get a straight answer about high lift low duration... curious what he said.
Call billy Tim.
Old 02-16-2016, 04:29 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,217 Likes on 1,455 Posts

Originally Posted by horsepower1
Calculating the necessary events is the trick. Picking the lobe is easy.I;ve been doing this stuff for a long time now and I won't even begin to try to choose my own cam specs. I have no problem deferring to the experts in some things.
I've mentioned this to you a few times over the years, I believe you would do a lot better at choosing cam events and lobes than you think you can.
Old 02-16-2016, 04:33 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Full Force
What was the question?
Lift is the distance the valve has to travel. Duration is the time it has to travel that distance. Any time you have to travel more distance in less time, you have to move (accelerate) faster.The shorter the duration and the higher the lift, the faster you have to try and accelerate the lifter. The biggest load on the valve train is not as most people think...when the lifter goes over the nose @ full open spring pressure. It's when you begin to accelerate the lifter off the base circle and that's where most valve train problems stem from. The faster you have to try and accelerate that lifter, the worse it gets. Bigger lobes on bigger cores and bigger lifter wheels help with pressure angle issues and allow quicker acceleration with less ill effect.
Old 02-16-2016, 04:35 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 209 Likes on 133 Posts

I have another friend that works with Kip a ton, waiting on answers from him still..
Originally Posted by vintage chromoly
Call billy Tim.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.