Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Off the shelf cam options for marine engines >

Off the shelf cam options for marine engines

Notices

Off the shelf cam options for marine engines

Old 02-16-2016, 05:50 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to personally thank Brian Orlandi. He called me today to apologize for all the things he has said about me and Mr. Foxwell. I told him it was water under the bridge and lets just move forward.
Old 02-16-2016, 05:51 PM
Registered

Received 4,567 Likes on 1,315 Posts

At the end of the day, that old saying comes to mind.. "you can lead a horse to water but you can`t make him drink"

Alex thank you for sharing your experiences.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:10 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I was hoping Alex would have shared the cam profiles and applications that were harming heads. Would've saved a few of us some panicked phone calls it seems.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:19 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
What I get from this post is that you`re saying Haxby is liar and the cams that he`s had so much trouble with are just fine because Bob said so. Bob also said it`s not his fault and now he`s passing the buck onto some guy named Kip.

MER , Orlandi , Alex everyone can just relax, Alex that table full off Marine Kinetic cams you had have you can now put those back in I guess.. Bob said it`s fine.
no dan,what i am saying is the cam,s in joe b,s engines have lobes that came from cam motions master list.i reread my post and i never even remotely called him or anyone else a liar.yes i did call bob about my concerns ,i also called several others including cam motion.this thread got me nervous about those cams,i knew from the start and so does joe b that at 150 hrs the springs&lifters will need to be replaced.when you want and have engines making close to 2 hp per cubic inch these parts won,t last like a 415 hp 502.time will tell if the 150 hour number is right.i did see today that orlandi is going to straub for cams.i found that surprising after all the bashing he did to anyone who spoke badly about bob. kip is the guy who designed the lobes on joe s,s engines.as of now these engines have not failed so their is no problem to blame anyone for.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sutphen 30
just so you'll get it straight,it was 2 cams,,1 cam that he couldn't spec(great cam designer) and 5 sets of lifters that WOULD have destroyed the top end of the engines if I didn't catch it and then fix the problem.As for foxwell,every engine is magically the best and most powerful,,heres what I think,,BS period.
Hax said it at the beginning of this thread
Bill,
I want to personally thank you for that thread on BF. Many have commented over the years that the only thing they can find negative is a thread on a marine forum and after they read the reason the engines failed was they were drag race lifters.....Those that understand parts know that the same lifter for drag racing is used for circle track, truck pull, marine... the lifter has no idea what it is being used for application wise. Crane has sold as many 11519-16 for Drag racing as they have for Truck Pulling, Marine, Mud Bog Swamp buggies. Call and ask Crane if you can use an 11519-16. It is the same body design as the 4606 Morel that you talk about in the thread.

So I want to thank you for bringing up the same story since July 25, 2006.

This forum years ago shared info. Right or wrong it was shared. Somewhere it changed into "packs" that added nothing to a thread but only tore at other members to discredit them purely for personal grudges. Two members that participated in attacks have apologized to me, one is this thread starter. For Gods sake this is a Tech section....If you don't like the tech then offer up your own. The personal attacks and unsupported claims of who did what does not belong.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mike tkach
t.i did see today that orlandi is going to straub for cams.i found that surprising after all the bashing he did to anyone who spoke badly about bob..
Brian and I spoke and I said anything I can help him with the door was open. He is getting his cylinder head shop up and running and I told him Foxwell is a wealth of info when it comes to tooling and stuff like that. Some will never admit they did wrong, I applaud Brian for calling us and apologizing.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:28 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I personally don't think it was the main point to throw mk under the bus, more so that there are many many proven designs out there already, why play with fire?
If it was, well maybe the burns are still healing.
At any rate it is great to have him back on oso!
Old 02-16-2016, 06:33 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by buck35
I personally don't think it was the main point to throw mk under the bus, more so that there are many many proven designs out there already, why play with fire?
If it was, well maybe the burns are still healing.
At any rate it is great to have him back on oso!
MK has been absent as of the last six months or so buck.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:40 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Rob, it is not my place, to tell the tales I have been told in confidence amongst various builders. Second hand information is what has started an all out internet war between parties, some that have gone way too far. I think its time for first hand info to be shared for a change around here. For guys like you and I, we rely on feedback. Lets not discourage feedback, whether good or bad. HONESTY, would be a welcome change around here, and could have some valuable technical information for us as a group.
Honesty and first hand experience is great. No argument there.

Not everyone will agree on this stuff. Even reputable engine shops of high pedigree will use different recipes and have their favorite manufactures and methods.

The thread was meant to show the virtues of readily available "shelf" cams, but unfortunately morphed into the typical, as of late, anti MK rhetoric.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:48 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by vintage chromoly
MK has been absent as of the last six months or so buck.
I think he was referring to Haxbyspeed.

Alex is a very smart, and talented engine builder, who actually builds engines, and is a wizard at tuning, especially the EFI stuff. He started and carried probably the best thread in oso history, and has helped many DIY'ers tuning their engines, as well as other engine builders.

I think he is a great asset to the forum, and actually has something great to offer us boaters. Lots of companies out there to call for a camshaft. Not too many out there with an open phone line, to remotely tune your newly purchased EFI kits, or the many other engine building knowledge and experience he has and can share, and has shared.

I hope he doesn't get offended by a few posts insinuating he is here to start trouble, or a liar, and continues to post here. I know there are some other builders who have tried various cams , swapped them out on the dyno, field tested them, and could provide invaluable data, and hopefully they will share that information as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.