Off the shelf cam options for marine engines

Old 02-17-2016, 11:59 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
The thread was started by Haxby to share other Cam options that work

Bob supporters have constantly attempted to derail it from the first few posts

Give Haxby some respect like you used to

Just because he does not partner with Bob does not make his knowledge shared less vaulable
kevin,i can,t agree on that.i am not supporting or bad wrapping bob but a lot of people who don,t like bob have used this thread as a vehicle to attack bob.i 100%get it that a custom cam is not always warranted.i also get it that haxby had some isseus with bob cams.i liked your idea of starting a thread in the beware section,than maybe this thread could go back to being productive.i understand that you are not happy with bob but you have brought it up in this thread over and over.i don,t know anything about a partnership with haxby or madera but it sure looks like their is more to this than cam issues.just for the record,the vast majority of the builds i do,be it marine,streetcar,racecar etc i picked the cams from the books but on some marine builds i called on bob for cam help.if in your eyes that makes me a bad guy,SO BE IT.im going to say what a lot of members are afraid to say,you have made your point so give it a rest.at the end of the day i hope we can all use the technical section to share information and learn from others.that is why i come here.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by abones
The peak velocity the exhaust port sees is at low lift. With the exhaust blowing down and loosing velocity lift IMO is no where near as important as duration. (From Post #355)

This is kinda what I was saying at the end of post 86
that is good information tony.this is the kind of stuff i come on the tech section to see.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:10 PM
Registered

i want to add something,even though some of my friends may have different opinions on some things at the end of the day we are still friends.a quote from a fireman that was my partner for several years,ONLY *****ES CARRY GRUDGES AND I AIN,T NO *****.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:29 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
Ask me any reason or question I have no issue posting any info, my goal was 700hp at 6000 to spin my 25 mirage plus props to 6000 as with old engines were 600 hp spun those same props to 5500 all day. The thought was spin drives faster, less load woukd help TRS live... That was main reason shooting for 6000, now they will with a 23p prop but the design was to keep the 25's my cruise already sucks with 23's it's even worse. Boat went .2 mph less with the 23's but they went 6000
So the engine that MT was talking about was yours then?

If so, my point is made.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:30 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Panther
I had a hunch this would come next when it was posted.

There's nothing that has been posted from th very beginning on this thread that didn't have undertones. As an outsider looking in, this was clear to me from the very first page.

As a result, I'm dropping out of this thread.

Good day fellas!
Outsider looking in? You have been a cheerleader for marine kinetics on every tech thread here over the years. You asked info, i gave it . Sorry if you dont like it. If i was a betting man, and i said that tims combo was put together by foxwell or straub, you would have ripped it up and down. Instead, you insinuate that bob specd that combo for "other reasons" and made excuses for it. Im not talking speculation , or opinion, im talking facts. If you dont like facts, there are plenty of other threads you can clap your hands together for what bob has done. Lots of them. As have i in the past when his combos went well. Sorry if the fact that not every build hes been involved in , hasnt been a home run.

How convenient straub and foxwell got banned again, and neither of them said a negative word in this thread.

Oh wait, i forgot. I and the engine builder who dynoed tims engine, were accused of sabotaging the engines , so they wouldnt make the power or be durable...thats a good one. Yea, two guys guys who went way out of their way to help TIM, for zero money or gains, are now being called liars yet once again.

Gimme a break. Lets get back to reality.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:31 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
The thread was started by Haxby to share other Cam options that work

Bob supporters have constantly attempted to derail it from the first few posts

Give Haxby some respect like you used to

Just because he does not partner with Bob does not make his knowledge shared less vaulable
I don't have any issue with Haxby. I don't even know him. When things can stay on topic it's a lot of fun.

I can go back to the very beginning of this thread and cut and paste every single undertone, inuendo which was posted then follow it by the later direct comments if I had to time but I'm not going to waste my time doing that. Others can closely read from the beginning and form their own opinions.

With respect to the posts about Bob lovers, I do believe it is quite the contrary thses days. I see more first posts bashing Bob by the Bob bashers then I do by the Bob lovers. It's hard to see when you're doing it yourself.

And all this is why I've bowed out of this thread. I come here to relax and read interesting topics, not get stressed out by peoples personal attacks and being jumped on by the minions. If you want to talk about "respect like you used to", I would suggest doing the same.

Peace out!
Old 02-17-2016, 12:33 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Outsider looking in? You have been a cheerleader for marine kinetics on every tech thread here over the years. You asked info, i gave it .

Gimme a break. Lets get back to reality.
Fact, the first time I've used Bob's services was in 2015. I've had friends use him over the years with good success. I also pick my own cams and have used shelf cams.

Your insinuations are incorrect. You sir, need to get back to reality.

Good day.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Adding to the discussion on cams. I'd like to hear the varying opinions on rocker ratios and what the effects of changing them may have. How does one come up with reasoning that a 1.7 vs 1.8 is better or vice versa? Yes, I understand the cam is designed around rocker ratio but what is the real world advantage of going away from the typical 1.7 ratio?

Last edited by Jason3603; 02-17-2016 at 12:42 PM.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:49 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason3603
Adding to the discussion on cams. I'd like to hear the varying opinions on rocker ratios and what the effects of changing them may have. How does one come up with reasoning that a 1.7 vs 1.8 is better or vice versa? Yes, I understand the cam is designed around rocker ratio but what is the real world advantage of going away from the typical 1.7 ratio?
The higher the ratio rocker the higher the load you put on the lifter. It's shocking when you do the math just how much more.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:58 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you think about it like this it gets reall scary. With a mild solid roller/ big hydraulic with some decent spring pressure. You can take 4 dial indicators placed on a valve loosen all the valves in the motor then re-adjust lash/preload. The cam will trust like a pretzel. The first time I ever did it I started wondering how an engine would ever run like that. Then I started doing some digging and years ago they were grinding cams with different centerlines on different cylinders. You know how much horsepower it equated to. You got it 0. But the thing that scares me is when you step up in ratio it load the came more and twists it like a pretzel just that much more.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.