Off the shelf cam options for marine engines

Notices

Off the shelf cam options for marine engines

Old 02-17-2016, 06:24 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason3603
I am talking more on the lines of what makes a builder when building/designing an engine decide to go with a 1.8 rocker rather than a 1.7 in a ground up engine build.
Think that is going to be when you need more cam and you don't have a lobe big enough. And some will try different rockers on the dyno sometimes you might find some power. Think nascar uses 2.0 or 2.2 when they where stuck with flat tappet camshaft.
Don't know if that helps.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:24 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

This is tech. Go for it. The valve seats are being pounded into the heads ? Give up the specs and application. Tie bars breaking? Give the specs and apps. Lobes being grooved? Specs please. Were all these destructive cams that the professional builders installed just done so blindly without any consideration of the specs? A professional engine builder doesn't know anything about the cams he's installing and what there effects will be. Haxby says he had this problem years ago. Why does this post come now after being mostly absent for years?
Old 02-17-2016, 06:30 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by 14 apache
^^^^^ I am with him ^^^^^
tim,i consider you a friend.yes things could have been done differently and i as many do feel your pain.i think you will feel relieved if you try to let it go.i have a few ideas that i believe will put your engines in the hp range you are looking for that won,t cost you a ton of money.if you are interested in my ideas i would be glad to share them with you.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:30 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by 14 apache
Think that is going to be when you need more cam and you don't have a lobe big enough. And some will try different rockers on the dyno sometimes you might find some power. Think nascar uses 2.0 or 2.2 when they where stuck with flat tappet camshaft.
Don't know if that helps.
Comp Cams designs some of their lobes for high ratio rockers, flat tappet to solid roller, I never asked why.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:32 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by 1989mach1
Who is Bob?
i think he sells furniture at the my bob store,lol.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:35 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

I really do let it go until I get told I am the issue with my power... or others bring it up.

when free, gimme a call sometime or shoot me text, you were good help to me during the build process and I appreciate that..

Originally Posted by mike tkach
tim,i consider you a friend.yes things could have been done differently and i as many do feel your pain.i think you will feel relieved if you try to let it go.i have a few ideas that i believe will put your engines in the hp range you are looking for that won,t cost you a ton of money.if you are interested in my ideas i would be glad to share them with you.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:41 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Well, first of all, if you want to discuss my builds and try to bash me go to MY THREAD, it is there for a reason.... that being said, I will answer a few things real fast for you in case you don't... I am sure MANY guys build in a garage?? WTF does that matter???? the head replacement... what did Bob tell you???? post that to me in my thread, because I have emails to show how that went...
does it tick you off that in the end when I STOPPED listening to BOB and his ADVICE I went on the boat for 28 hours with no issues? sucks for some of you to not be able to hate on me, and if you do... TAKE IT TO MY THREAD and do so...

[QUOTE=bck;4405321]If we're talking great off the shelf cams why did the op spend the vast majority of the first 2 pages bad mouthing custom cams and why was he the first one to mention Bob and MK by name? If were talking bad custom cams then how come first it was specific profiles, but we can't name them, then it was custom lobe profiles but when we find out the owner of cam motion designs them were back to just mystery problems with no specifics. If we're talking about the problems with Tim's builds why don't we discuss them being built in a garage with the input of half a dozen people, flooded with water, burned down then run for a season and dynod in full marine dress when we are discussing his power. There's a reason Gellner gets paid to assembly engines. Oh, and how many of your friends or professional builders would have replaced a head for you because you stuck a lifter in a bore? Edit
Old 02-17-2016, 06:49 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Sorry Tim you showed up here and told me to get lost because you were trying to determine the cause of your problems and I didn't provide my specs to you in a timely fashion. And when you build your engines in a garage, flooded them with water and burn them down and then dyno them in full marine dress it matters when you cry about how much power you make or don't. I have an idea,. why don't you tell us what exactly was wrong with your head and how it came to be replaced ?
Old 02-17-2016, 06:59 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

take to my thread....

Originally Posted by bck
Sorry Tim you showed up here and told me to get lost because you were trying to determine the cause of your problems and I didn't provide my specs to you in a timely fashion. And when you build your engines in a garage, flooded them with water and burn them down and then dyno them in full marine dress it matters when you cry about how much power you make or don't. I have an idea,. why don't you tell us what exactly was wrong with your head and how it came to be replaced ?
Old 02-17-2016, 07:00 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Full Force
See it how you like, but I can tell you my goal is NOT to cause issues. Myself having concerns on this thread because for 1, I have not even come close to power goals, and 2 I could possibly have a recipe for issues in my engines now... So yes cam specs linked to a failure is a big deal to us
Here you go, remember now? This is you asking questions about your build here, not in your thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.