Off the shelf cam options for marine engines

Notices

Off the shelf cam options for marine engines

Old 02-17-2016, 08:30 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 863 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by 14 apache
Think that is going to be when you need more cam and you don't have a lobe big enough. And some will try different rockers on the dyno sometimes you might find some power. Think nascar uses 2.0 or 2.2 when they where stuck with flat tappet camshaft.
Don't know if that helps.
In the next year I'm going to flog on my next project , 500efis with good good heads, highly modified intakes etc. I will be running shaft rockers on them when done BUT on the dyno I will be experimenting with standard rockers using different ratios to try to zero in exactly where cam needs to be, ie-looking for lets say 675 hp, add ratio, has gain, needs bigger cam, add ratio, loses power, cams too big etc. I will also be advancing and regtarding the cam. Custom cam or not, unless you duplicate a exact, proven combination IF your looking for most power its going to take some work!
Old 02-17-2016, 08:39 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
In the next year I'm going to flog on my next project , 500efis with good good heads, highly modified intakes etc. I will be running shaft rockers on them when done BUT on the dyno I will be experimenting with standard rockers using different ratios to try to zero in exactly where cam needs to be, ie-looking for lets say 675 hp, add ratio, has gain, needs bigger cam, add ratio, loses power, cams too big etc. I will also be advancing and regtarding the cam. Custom cam or not, unless you duplicate a exact, proven combination IF your looking for most power its going to take some work!
That's the nice thing about a solid cam. Just tighten the lash and see if it picks up. On a mild solid roller you can tighten the intake all the way to zero.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:41 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

well i have learned from this thread.off the shelf peanut butter will last forever but custom blend peanut butter may not last as long!things that ma you say hhhmmmm.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:44 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

next time i get a pizza i will add some jiffy and read my briggs&stratton manual.should make for a relaxing night.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:49 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,177 Likes on 1,433 Posts

Sometimes it's not about how peanut butter is made, but who's spreading it

Old 02-17-2016, 08:51 PM
Registered

Received 692 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
next time i get a pizza i will add some jiffy and read my briggs&stratton manual.should make for a relaxing night.
Sure you can use the briggs and stratton to power the industrial grade pizza dough mixer, but if it leaks even one drop of oil into the dough, the heath dept. is going to be so far up your azz it wont be worth it....
Old 02-17-2016, 08:51 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I used peanut butter instead of epoxy, to convert my Dart Rectangle heads to peanut ports. Once it hardens, it holds up to ethonal just fine. But, it has to be Peter Pan brand. Jiffy, sets up way to quick. Like, in a jiffy.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:52 PM
Registered

Received 86 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by bck
Sorry Tim you showed up here and told me to get lost because you were trying to determine the cause of your problems and I didn't provide my specs to you in a timely fashion. And when you build your engines in a garage, flooded them with water and burn them down and then dyno them in full marine dress it matters when you cry about how much power you make or don't. I have an idea,. why don't you tell us what exactly was wrong with your head and how it came to be replaced ?
Dynoing in full marine dress IS the correct way to dyno. If the guy that specd the cam knew anything about how a cylinder head actually worked Tim could have made more power. But in the end he was bamboozled by a kitchen table salesman with a thesaurus. (Sorry Tim). In the end his build and many others would be better off using cam lobes that have been proofed and vetted in the real world in hundreds if not thousands of engines.

Thanks to this custom cam mentality by said salesman I'm now in the position to say I told you so to two different customers that had to try these "magic cams". Neither made the power that they were claimed to, and are as agressive as we I would expect to see in class drag racing. Fortunately for this snake oil salesman he has been paid and made the handsome proffit. Unfortunately for me and my customers I now have to fix his mess.

This all could have been avoided if I had said no. We are not using any kind of experimental junk in your engines.

I understand that you have your reasons for thinking that the custom cams are the best thing since sliced bread, but I have the data to prove otherwise.

Lastly. Why isn't Bob in here defending himself? Why are you doing it for him? I spoke to two other engine builders that use to use Bob and have had a SERIOUS change of heart in the last 7 days. It would bother me if the guy I was protecting let me take the brunt of the lashings.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:55 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,166 Likes on 1,409 Posts

GeeeeZ, I'm gonna ban myself
Old 02-17-2016, 09:03 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 863 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Baja
That's the nice thing about a solid cam. Just tighten the lash and see if it picks up. On a mild solid roller you can tighten the intake all the way to zero.
I do have a set of dyno time only isky solid rollers I may also use when dynoing my next project IF cam warrants it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.