Off the shelf cam options for marine engines >

Off the shelf cam options for marine engines

Notices

Off the shelf cam options for marine engines

Old 02-17-2016, 09:21 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
Ryan, tell him to have Bob chime in maybe? let's see what he knows??? since he is the master and all... NOT
so much for letting it go tim!
Old 02-17-2016, 09:27 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

So he's comparing an engine built by a different person with different heads and a different cam and a different carb? Compression ratio? Did the other engine have all accessories and marine exhaust? You speak to the quality of the build? Yo heard the conversations that took place on parts selection? And even if he did get parts that were not appropriate, that gives him the right to jump down my throat because I'm happy with my parts?
Old 02-17-2016, 09:27 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 209 Likes on 133 Posts

that's almost as good as the chicken wing song lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXc1IelKeAM

Originally Posted by SB
Really freakin funny !!!! WOW !
Old 02-17-2016, 09:30 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

I have zero interest in his build or why it went wrong anymore. And working it into any possible thread where it can be mentioned is tiresome. I offered him my old cams if it would've helped him.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:30 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

dude you didn't even get off the dyno without breaking, and you are drilling me? and you PAID someone to do it!!!

Originally Posted by bck
So he's comparing an engine built by a different person with different heads and a different cam and a different carb? Compression ratio? Did the other engine have all accessories and marine exhaust? You speak to the quality of the build? Yo heard the conversations that took place on parts selection? And even if he did get parts that were not appropriate, that gives him the right to jump down my throat because I'm happy with my parts?
Old 02-17-2016, 09:31 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

like you posting here, defending Bob, in 6 months I bet you talk different, the future might get interesting around here and lots of us "bad guys" will be saying yep... we called it...

Originally Posted by bck
I have zero interest in his build or why it went wrong anymore. And working it into any possible thread where it can be mentioned is tiresome.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:31 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by mike tkach
so much for letting it go tim!
I tried this BCK guy wont drop it... lol
Old 02-17-2016, 09:35 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bck
If we're talking great off the shelf cams why did the op spend the vast majority of the first 2 pages bad mouthing custom cams and why was he the first one to mention Bob and MK by name? If were talking bad custom cams then how come first it was specific profiles, but we can't name them, then it was custom lobe profiles but when we find out the owner of cam motion designs them were back to just mystery problems with no specifics. If we're talking about the problems with Tim's builds why don't we discuss them being built in a garage with the input of half a dozen people, flooded with water, burned down then run for a season and dynod in full marine dress when we are discussing his power. There's a reason Gellner gets paid to assembly engines. Oh, and how many of your friends or professional builders would have replaced a head for you because you stuck a lifter in a bore? Edit- I come on this thread to ask legit questions of the op as to whether my engines have issues based on his accusations and I get told to move on and I get pms just for asking. Yeah right, guess again.

Brian, you have an odd way of defending someone. You're the one who keeps dragging Bob in to this. I have told you repeatedly that I could provide you the specific info on the failures if you like. Obviously you need to see it, as you have requested more data about issues from MK's products to be posted here. I don't want to ruin this thread, although a few guys have done their best to distract from the original topic. Maybe Griff could find some time to clean up the foolishness. Also, describing issues and failures of components in a technical forum is not bashing, what you said to Tim is. Can you see the difference? So, to honor your request, I will begin a new thread specifically on failures of components related to Marine Kinetics. I will post many pictures, and as many details as I can, and I'm sure others will as well. A lot of these combos were customers that were referred to me, and other builders, who had purchased complete packages from Bob. I'm away right now, but will get it put together over the weekend if you can wait that long. I believe there will be a thread starting in the Beware section soon as well, that's more related to Bob's many hours on the phone campaigning to discredit several engine builders and industry professionals, among other things. I won't be starting that one, but I'll definitely contribute. Thanks for the impetus BCK.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:43 PM
Registered

Received 86 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by bck
You can be happy with what you have. But my point is, both engines were dynoed in the same trim, both on the same dyno with the same 200 RPM/SEC pulls and the same inertia factor. The differences in any part of the two engines is nominal with the exception of the heads and the cams.

Tim has ARF 325-1 heads and a cam that would better serve as a paperweight.

The other engine has the AFR 300 CNC heads (that Bob says is too small for a 540) and a 651 cam.

The fundimental difference that can bee seen on the plugs and the data from the dyno is the exhaust duration is far too small for Tim's engines and the intake lobe is too drastic. It doesn't take any advantage of the low lift numbers and closes the valve too early killing any velocity that the head could generate if all of the exhaust gas had actually evacuated the cylinder.

If Tim had a 651 or a cam with maybe something with 245 on the intake @.050 and 260 @ .050 with mid to low .600 lift he could have come close to 700 with all of the accessories and the wet exhaust.

One fundimental thing to remember in all of this. The salesman is guilty of racing dynos. He has most likely taken the highest number generated by this package and passed it an to his customer disregarding the dyno it was on, the correction factor, or how the engine was dressed.

I could have tricked the dyno into a 700HP number by messing with the air density and pulling the engine from 6000 RPM to 3000RPM but that is making a test to make a number.

Last edited by Precision; 02-17-2016 at 10:02 PM.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:44 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

I'm defending no one. I'm asking that if there is a problem it be specified. Why again did you spend so much time discrediting custom cams in the thread you started to highlight factory cams?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.