Off the shelf cam options for marine engines >

Off the shelf cam options for marine engines

Notices

Off the shelf cam options for marine engines

Old 02-17-2016, 10:31 PM
Registered

Received 86 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by buck35
I guess this what perplexes me the most , the engines were out and on the dyno for two days, why no cam swap to pinpoint the issue? From all that were there it would seem a wide variety of takeouts would be at hand.
J
I would have loved to stabbed a couple cams in one of them, but unfortunately my time, Tim's time, and money didn't permit "playing" on the dyno. Beyond the cost of gaskets and other parts it is easy to rack up a few hundred dollar bill.

Last edited by Precision; 02-17-2016 at 10:33 PM.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:34 PM
Registered

Received 86 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I think its time for a camshaft shootout!!
I'll host. Let's get one of Tim's and I'll invite Jason Johnson to document the results.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:53 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

i think i could find time to attend.i will even supply a 139651 cam and help with the work,FOR FREE.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:56 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I even have a spare cam
Old 02-17-2016, 10:59 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed
Brian, you have an odd way of defending someone. You're the one who keeps dragging Bob in to this. I have told you repeatedly that I could provide you the specific info on the failures if you like. Obviously you need to see it, as you have requested more data about issues from MK's products to be posted here. I don't want to ruin this thread, although a few guys have done their best to distract from the original topic. Maybe Griff could find some time to clean up the foolishness. Also, describing issues and failures of components in a technical forum is not bashing, what you said to Tim is. Can you see the difference? So, to honor your request, I will begin a new thread specifically on failures of components related to Marine Kinetics. I will post many pictures, and as many details as I can, and I'm sure others will as well. A lot of these combos were customers that were referred to me, and other builders, who had purchased complete packages from Bob. I'm away right now, but will get it put together over the weekend if you can wait that long. I believe there will be a thread starting in the Beware section soon as well, that's more related to Bob's many hours on the phone campaigning to discredit several engine builders and industry professionals, among other things. I won't be starting that one, but I'll definitely contribute. Thanks for the impetus BCK.
Attached Thumbnails Off the shelf cam options for marine engines-9bd7ab2d19578422adb8fb1bc079ed0b.jpg   Off the shelf cam options for marine engines-0dedfa7d658767b6a5e995050c105ad0.jpg   Off the shelf cam options for marine engines-5391cb305da631e24dc4050e5e897b1d.jpg  

Off the shelf cam options for marine engines-e2cf813d01d1d539bbed7a8964347223.jpg  
Old 02-17-2016, 11:04 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
The owner of those engines, was Tim, and he does not want to invest more money into the project at this point. We did have camshafts avail to swap. Problem is, tim lives in ohio, 4 hours away. Time is money, and swapping cams out isn't exactly a 5 minute job.

I believe the purpose was, to see what HP they made, about and get a safe tune up. Nothing more, nothing less.
ok I understand that, but opportunity knocked while there so its really on him now. If it were me and I was sure my cam was crap I'd have one ready to go in and all the tools required. Evan a borrowed one to get a baseline off of.

Edit I see I was a page behind and the question answered.

Last edited by buck35; 02-17-2016 at 11:12 PM.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by buck35
ok I understand that, but opportunity knocked while there so its really on him now. If it were me and I was sure my cam was crap I'd have one ready to go in and all the tools required. Evan a borrowed one to get a baseline off of.
I agree with you.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:10 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I just think it be nice for a change for someone to say this is the problem I have with this cam/ person/ business and this is the reason why. Nice.and straightforward and get it done with. Not all this I'll start different thread stuff and slip it under the door. Off.E starts a thread and never once actually stated what the problem was. Now haxby shows up after starting about 5 posts in the last 3 years and not all of those are even tech and starts a thread about off the shelf grinds but then spends most of his time talking down custom grinds and says they are ruining engines. I think you M/T have provided more cam tech in this thread than he did. So if he's got a problem with cams let him start his thread and state his facts instead of this bs. Yeah he took my call and treated me well but the reason I had to make the call is because he starts a thread essentially saying my cams are destroying my engine but doesn't say why

Last edited by bck; 02-17-2016 at 11:18 PM.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:41 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

i was liking this thread more when it got derailed]for the 56th time] to peanut butter,it made me look for a jar and their was a short lul in the bickering.lol.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bck
I just think it be nice for a change for someone to say this is the problem I have with this cam/ person/ business and this is the reason why. Nice.and straightforward and get it done with. Not all this I'll start different thread stuff and slip it under the door. Off.E starts a thread and never once actually stated what the problem was. Now haxby shows up after starting about 5 posts in the last 3 years and not all of those are even tech and starts a thread about off the shelf grinds but then spends most of his time talking down custom grinds. I think you M/T have provided more cam tech in this thread than he did. So if he's got a problem with cams let him start his thread and state his facts instead of this bs. Yeah he took my call and treated me well but the reason I had to make the call is because he starts a thread essentially saying my cams are destroying my engine but doesn't say why
You will get the answers soon you are looking for. I know for a fact Haxby is out of town, and I am sure he will share the detailed info you are seeking, as well as back it up with pictures. I also know there are others who can back up his statements, with their own issues that have been nearly identical.

As far as your build, I understand that you had a lifter issue on the dyno. I had made mention of that earlier in this thread, and you stated they were from 2007, and had been overheated.

I have 2 questions. First, why would you have even tried to use them if that was the case? Second, why did you call around, asking others opinions on that and other valvetrain related issues?

It seems to me, you have all the answers, or think you do, and have showed that you have full faith in marine kinetics and their product. So, with that being said, why are you here? Are you simply looking to discredit every post haxby has made for some reason here?

I already know Bob has slandered him behind closed doors, and with flat out lies. My guess, is that you talked to bob, bob told you alex is full of chit, this thread is a hoax, and here you are, putting yourself out there, to try and do bob's work for him. This is NOTHING new, so don't feel used, he's done it to alot of guys. For a guy who had no idea what i was referring to with the term ".400 lobe", I think you would want to be listening, rather than making accusations about a topic, that is clearly above your head from a technical standpoint. Personally, if I was haxby, I would tell you "good luck with your build" and be done with you. Your posts seem to be encouraging the concept of NOT getting the info you say you want to see, which could potentially be an enlightening experience for you, and others.

You want a technical explanation. Take a look at this picture. The red and blue lines are cam lobes. Both of these lobes have identical .050 duration numbers of 245. One has much less seat duration, or "advertised duration", as well as more "lift". I exaggered the numbers to help visualize the shapes of the lobes. Now, imagine the lifter has to travel up the ramp, over the nose, and down the ramp. Which one do you think will have faster lifter acceleration, and deceleration? Which one do you think will open and close the valve quicker? Which one do you think will require more spring pressure, to keep the lifter in contact with the lobe at all times? Which one do you think will cause the valve to contact the valve seat, with more intensity? Of course this is very crude, and overly simplistic, but maybe it will help you understand the concept, of adding lift without changing .050 duration, the effect of seat duration vs .050 duration, and so forth.
Attached Thumbnails Off the shelf cam options for marine engines-screenshot-81-.png  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.