Off the shelf cam options for marine engines

Notices

Off the shelf cam options for marine engines

Old 02-18-2016, 12:24 AM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The reason I called around double checking things was my attempt at due diligence. I don't blindly follow anyone's advice. If there is any question as to to suitably of a part I get as many opinions as I can and then use that info to decide what to do as ultimately it is my decision what parts will go in the engine. I even sent you a pm asking for a contact # so I could get your opinion on ons aspect of the parts selection that I thought you might be particularly knowledgeable on. I didn't get a reply. It was my call to reuse the lifters it was a mistake I made fortunately it was caught on the dyno. There was also some confusion as to the exact lifters that were in it. I no longer had ( never actually did have) the actual part number just the bill to go by. Again the reason I was originally asking for specifics numbers was to try to determine if I had a problem with the cams that are in my engines now as Alex's post caused me concern. The reason I was later asking for specifics is because damage was being claimed so I felt it fair to ask under what circumstances thus damage was happening. I understand what the numbers mean you've referenced above but what I was looking for was a way to tell at what point lift/duration/open, closing rates/spring pressures become an issue with longevity and practicality. You are correct in my not having an in depth knowledge of what makes a good cam which is why I rely on others to choose them. I was attempting to listen unfortunately about the point you started talking was the same time I got p.m.s telling me to be quiet and posts right in the thread saying the same thing. I've been stewing about that ever since. I've done business with some well known board members and been burned who've also had reputations as good as haxby but don't go around crying about it. Point being, a lot of the professionals around here don't cut much ice with me because I've been there. As far as discrediting his posts I've done nothing more than ask for details on the failures and wonder why so much time was spent mentioning them in a thread that was not supposed to be about them. As far as haxby being done with me he probably is. Its not like we had regular calls on my build. I called him to ask him to elaborate on the clams he made to see if he knew something I didn't about the parts that were in my engines. I don't defend people here but I do try to make sure people making accusations back them up. They are not the same thing. I do admit in the case of ff my emotions got the better if me.

Last edited by bck; 02-18-2016 at 01:28 AM.
Old 02-18-2016, 01:16 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by phragle
I think your confusing jiff with twinkies....
I deep fried a Twinkie one time.
Old 02-18-2016, 01:28 AM
Registered

All this chat about peanut butter. What's the consensus on which jelly/ jam to use with it?

I also like butter on my pb & j sandwiches.
Old 02-18-2016, 01:29 AM
Registered

Also.deep.fried some bacon...
Old 02-18-2016, 01:56 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,896 Likes on 952 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
How convenient straub and foxwell got banned again, and neither of them said a negative word in this thread.
That would be half correct as only one was banned.

Straub was banned due to his prior conduct and because of another thread that he started to create more drama.
Old 02-18-2016, 04:45 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

It is more then just swapping cams, most likely base circle will require different pushrods, so setting valvetrain and ordering pushrods, timing chain gear is different and I have rollmasters, valve spring change would be wise to get correct power numbers, gaskets, and if doing it "correct" you would want to check PTV clearance.... so its WAYYY more then justn swapping a cam on the dyno, besides time and money....

Originally Posted by buck35
I guess this what perplexes me the most , the engines were out and on the dyno for two days, why no cam swap to pinpoint the issue? From all that were there it would seem a wide variety of takeouts would be at hand.
J
Old 02-18-2016, 04:52 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

I am not sure my cam is crap, to be honest I have a 50/50 advice, I also have WAY more then dyno time and they are fine so far, I was advised I wouls not make power after 54-5500 also if there was big issues (float) but they pulled 58-5900... just did not make big numbers... and again if anyone wants to gimme a few grand to play... I will, until then please realize I already spent over 30,000 and and I am sick of tearing them apart for any reason and investing EVEN MORE money... put yourself in my place, it's real easy to spend others money on the internet isn't it??

someone send me 3000.00 with a few cams I will be at Ryans next weekend... until then... let it go about "should have swapped out cams"

Originally Posted by buck35
ok I understand that, but opportunity knocked while there so its really on him now. If it were me and I was sure my cam was crap I'd have one ready to go in and all the tools required. Evan a borrowed one to get a baseline off of.

Edit I see I was a page behind and the question answered.
Old 02-18-2016, 06:43 AM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
i think i could find time to attend.i will even supply a 139651 cam and help with the work,FOR FREE.
I like where this is going.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:45 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

My buddy Rick has a 43 No-Tech that had EFI 598s in it build by Eddie before he went on his own. After a few years Rick rebuilt the motors lowering the compression and added 10-71 blowers. The boat responded well and ran 92 at about 5700 -5800 rpms. After 4 years of running that combo the motors came out. Rick worked with Marine
kinetics to update his cam from the original efi cam. Back into the water looking for 6000 rpms and 95 mph he went. Nope The boat went a best of 87 at 5600 rpms.

The boat was tuned right, both motors pulled the same - didn't make sense

Rick contacted Bob for guidance. Bob's response was Rick was running the wrong oil (50 wt). How could that make sense, The same oil had been in the boat for over 5 years. The old motors with the same lifters ran fine with the wrong oil.

We though maybe the exhaust needed to be better so. The next year Rick invested in new exhaust. Going from CMI E-tops with 1 7/8 runners to Stainless Marine Gen 3 with 5 inch tails. Result - exhaust temps dropped a little but no real speed change.

This year (out of frustration and friends making fun of his slow boat) the motors are out again for a cam change. Not with marine kinetics.

First cam that ran well was a Crane 651 with 1.8 rockers on the intake. Bobs cam was larger with 680 lift. Third cam - we will see how it runs. The 651 cams are on the shelf not for sale.

Last edited by kvogt; 02-18-2016 at 08:17 AM.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:55 AM
Registered

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
I am not sure my cam is crap, to be honest

That's why I shared my results with you on F/B about changing my cam timing..

Who knows if the power steering pump or seawater pump starts taking exponentially more HP to turn once over a certain RPM....
We never ran it without the belts to check as it didn't matter, wasn't going in the boat without them.
We retarded the cam timing 4°, made more power on the top where I wanted it, and moved on..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.