Off the shelf cam options for marine engines

Notices

Off the shelf cam options for marine engines

Old 02-21-2016, 08:57 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,177 Likes on 1,433 Posts

Originally Posted by KWright
I can belive this, I pull oil temp from my pans, when we added spring olers, also put drains from heads to the pan. After a good 6000 rpm pull you could watch the oil temp rise by 50 or more degree's.
Good info.Thanks.

Here's another tidbit - even though an extreme psi + rpm difference, but a lot shorter time period, Warren Johnson had mentioned his valvesprings where proven to hit 700*F by the end of a 1/4 run. Yeh, that's a wholly crap !

Everyone looked at MT's link earlier where it had graph's showing psi lost vs heat increase right ?
Old 02-21-2016, 09:21 PM
Registered

Received 730 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
Good info.Thanks.

Here's another tidbit - even though an extreme psi + rpm difference, but a lot shorter time period, Warren Johnson had mentioned his valvesprings where proven to hit 700*F by the end of a 1/4 run. Yeh, that's a wholly crap !

Everyone looked at MT's link earlier where it had graph's showing psi lost vs heat increase right ?
they probably limited the oil to the top end.I've had lifters that did that.chit got real hot,quickly.
Old 02-21-2016, 09:58 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,177 Likes on 1,433 Posts

I think I've heard of those lifters. Doh !
Old 02-24-2016, 11:02 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Ive recently learned howards has really stepped up their game to the next level in the cam department. Lobes are spintron tested as well.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:08 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Ive recently learned howards has really stepped up their game to the next level in the cam department. Lobes are spintron tested as well.
I hope their lifter quality has improved. I can't unequivocally say they were bad but, they didn't perform like I was hoping. When I bought them they told me they were Morels. Maybe I got a bad set.

I had a solid lifter go bad on an engine two years ago on my 138631 cam. I caught everything before there was a catastrophic failure but still had to replace the cam and lifters. They lasted about 200hrs but the Comp lifters that were in the other engine were fine. I would normally go 250 hrs with Morel/Comp/Crane lifters before changing them. They were less expensive than the competitors lifters at the time I purchased them but the heat treat process they were using is I chose to try them back then. When all said and done, I wound up replacing the lifters on both engines with Isky Red Zone's.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Panther
I hope their lifter quality has improved. I can't unequivocally say they were bad but, they didn't perform like I was hoping. Maybe I got a bad set.

I had a solid lifter go bad on an engine two years ago on my 138631 cam. I caught everything before there was a catastrophic failure but still had to replace the cam and lifters. They lasted about 200hrs but the Comp lifters that were in the other engine were fine. I would normally go 250 hrs with Morel/Comp/Crane lifters before changing them. They were less expensive than the competitors lifters at the time I purchased them but the heat treat process they were using is I chose to try them back then. When all said and done, I wound up replacing the lifters on both engines with Isky Red Zone's.
Howards race and promax hyd roller lifters are made by morel.

http://www.competitionproducts.com/m.../#.Vs3yKHTnZnE
Old 02-24-2016, 12:10 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

After some back and fourth I ended up buying a cam from Jones. Only company that had a reasonable turn around time. It's difficult to get 55mm cores with small lobes.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:11 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Howards race and promax hyd roller lifters are made by morel.
That's what they told me when I bought them but still had the failure. One lifter hammered the bearings out of it and 3-4 other were on their way out. I ran the same setup since 2007 without other issues.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Black Baja
After some back and fourth I ended up buying a cam from Jones. Only company that had a reasonable turn around time. It's difficult to get 55mm cores with small lobes.
Cool. Looking forward to how it works out.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Panther
That's what they told me when I bought them but still had the failure. One lifter hammered the bearings out of it and 3-4 other were on their way out. I ran the same setup since 2007 without other issues.
I dont know what they were using 10 years ago. Im talking about today.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.