Off the shelf cam options for marine engines >

Off the shelf cam options for marine engines

Notices

Off the shelf cam options for marine engines

Old 02-25-2016, 09:38 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Baja
8620 is commonly used. If you wanna step up to the big boy flat tappet stuff it's Tool steel cams and lifters.
probibally good for nascar or classes that don,t allow roller lifters but i bet not to many in muscle cars.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:45 PM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

Ran a 242/248 - 644/648 111 lsa 496's. Custom hyd roller grinds from comp with a pretty aggressive lobe design. Ended up with some valvetrain issues we diagnosed on the dyno. Without the dyno we wouldn't have caught it. Combination between recommended springs and roller lifters. I didn't spend much time chasing the problem before swapping to solid lifters and springs resulting in a tighter valve lash. Installed cams 4 deg advanced. Peak power 5,800.
Old 02-26-2016, 04:31 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
probibally good for nascar or classes that don,t allow roller lifters but i bet not to many in muscle cars.
Super Stock those are the fast muscle cars. And circle track stuff.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:30 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by getrdunn
Ran a 242/248 - 644/648 111 lsa 496's. Custom hyd roller grinds from comp with a pretty aggressive lobe design. Ended up with some valvetrain issues we diagnosed on the dyno. Without the dyno we wouldn't have caught it. Combination between recommended springs and roller lifters. I didn't spend much time chasing the problem before swapping to solid lifters and springs resulting in a tighter valve lash. Installed cams 4 deg advanced. Peak power 5,800.
You ran the solids on hydraulic lobes? How much lash?

Aside from the issues you found on the dyno, was there much power difference?
Old 02-26-2016, 08:38 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

I thought it was cool hearing the completely different sound of the two different cams I used in these engines over the years. Both setups had the same docking mannerism's. Neither surge (I don't like surge, I tune it out), stall, fart, hickup etc. but the new one is a few mph faster than the old.

1st was with the old solid roller. 92.3 mph GPS.
https://youtu.be/nV0Kh-lk4Bw

2nd was with the hydralic roller, 95.4 mph GPS.
https://youtu.be/EeOna_qS7Fg
Old 02-26-2016, 08:42 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Panther
I thought it was cool hearing the completely different sound of the two different cams I used in these engines over the years. Both setups had the same docking mannerism's. Neither surge (I don't like surge, I tune it out), stall, fart, hickup etc. but the new one is a few mph faster than the old.

What were the specs on the two cams ?
Old 02-26-2016, 08:55 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like different firing order.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:03 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
What were the specs on the two cams ?
I believe I posted them earlier in this thread or on another thread that you commented on. However, they have similar duration specs when you account for solid vs. hydraulic with the biggest differences being 2* more lobe separation on the new cam and a bit more lift and LS firing order which was all part of the plan when putting the package together. Could have run a bigger solid cam and I'm sure it would have been the same, perhaps even more but I got sick and tired of lashing valves every season because my engines are on 32 1/2" centers.

One of the biggest differences I felt in the boat was being able to feel that there was much more torque from 3500 on up. The old cams pulled these props to 5700 and the new cams are pulling to 5900 with the same props.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:04 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Black Baja
Sounds like different firing order.
good ear!
Old 02-26-2016, 09:11 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I believe I posted them earlier in this thread or on another thread that you commented on. However, they have similar duration specs when you account for solid vs. hydraulic with the biggest differences being 2* more lobe separation on the new cam and a bit more lift and LS firing order which was all part of the plan when putting the package together. Could have run a bigger solid cam and I'm sure it would have been the same, perhaps even more but I got sick and tired of lashing valves every season because my engines are on 32 1/2" centers.

One of the biggest differences I felt in the boat was being able to feel that there was much more torque from 3500 on up. The old cams pulled these props to 5700 and the new cams are pulling to 5900 with the same props.
I was curious about the advertised duration, .050 duration, and lift.

If i remember the solid roller you had was pretty mild. It sounds like you certainly making more power now obviosuly. 3mph gain in a 36 apache from a cam swap if similar cams, is huge. Did you dyno them ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.