Off the shelf cam options for marine engines

Notices

Off the shelf cam options for marine engines

Old 02-14-2016, 12:30 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by bck
This thread has been a completely peaceful exchange of info and I am asking questions in an attempt to learn. take whatever the f your problem is elsewhere or we'll get this one locked down also. I'm about to ask mt what the hell a .400 lobe is because I don't know wth that means. All I know about lift is .550 .600 etc.
Listen pal, I am not trying to start issues, you were asked for cam specs and you want a discussion about specs, yet you won't post them... And I am the issue? I have here to learn also but if you want to learn and discuss put up the info.... I have every right to ask for specs as you do...

Carry on
Old 02-14-2016, 12:35 AM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm dynoing multiple carbs and intakes and 2 compression ratios. I might even throw my old super secret cams back in as well. I'm spending days on the dyno and will have lots of info to provide when it's done. This isn't that thread. Right now I'm trying to learn about cams.
Old 02-14-2016, 12:36 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by bck
This thread has been a completely peaceful exchange of info and I am asking questions in an attempt to learn. take whatever the f your problem is elsewhere or we'll get this one locked down also. I'm about to ask mt what the hell a .400 lobe is because I don't know wth that means. All I know about lift is .550 .600 etc.
lobe size x rocker ratio= valve lift.

.400 lobe times 1.7 equals 680 lift at valve.
Old 02-14-2016, 12:41 AM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Full Force
Listen pal, I am not trying to start issues, you were asked for cam specs and you want a discussion about specs, yet you won't post them... And I am the issue? I have here to learn also but if you want to learn and discuss put up the info.... I have every right to ask for specs as you do...

Carry on
One person- mt asked the specs in a flurry of back and forth I didn't even see because I'm doing this on a phone and before I even have a chance to respond you're on here accusing me of avoiding. I don't even know what the hell a 400 lobe is or what is considered high lift and you expect me to remember a page of dozens of numbers I looked at for a minute over a week ago at the builders shop
Old 02-14-2016, 12:43 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by bck
One person- mt asked the specs in a flurry of back and forth I didn't even see because I'm doing this on a phone and before I even have a chance to respond you're on here accusing me of avoiding. I don't even know what the hell a 400 lobe is or what is considered high lift and you expect me to remember a page of dozens of numbers I looked at for a minute over a week ago at the builders shop
See it how you like, but I can tell you my goal is NOT to cause issues. Myself having concerns on this thread because for 1, I have not even come close to power goals, and 2 I could possibly have a recipe for issues in my engines now... So yes cam specs linked to a failure is a big deal to us
Old 02-14-2016, 12:48 AM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Heres comp's MARINE lobes from their master lobe list. See .400 lobes anywhere here? I don't.

But, lets look at something. Take a look at the 236 cam lobes, in standard, and hi lift profiles. Rated duration same, .050 duration same, .200 duration NOT same. Why?

Heres what Kip Fabre says on that

Someone came up with this statement and it stuck, “THE MORE AGGRESSIVE THE RAMP RATE, THE MORE OVERALL AND UNDER THE CURVE POWER”. It was probably some cam lobe designer trying to BS people. Ramp rate? What is that? Velocity? Acceleration? Degrees from .006” to .050”? You must have high acceleration and jerk to have a lobe that has a low .006” to .050” number like 49 degrees, and that will beat the snot out of the lifters and be noisy. We use a smoother ramp of about 55 degrees. The .050” to .200” can be pushed if you want a high duration @.200”, but you will have higher accelerations before and at the nose which will float sooner. If you have two cams, both having [email protected]”, one with .340” lobe lift, one with .360” lobe lift, the lobe with the higher lobe lift (.360”) will always have a higher .200” duration.
Ok. So in the column that says lobe lift you multiply by your rocker ratio 1.6 or 1.7 etc to get your lift. So when you see a cam that says .550 they've already done that calculation for you.
Old 02-14-2016, 12:54 AM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

See it how you like, but I can tell you my goal is NOT to cause issues. Myself having concerns on this thread because for 1, I have not even come close to power goals, and 2 I could possibly have a recipe for issues in my engines now... So yes cam specs linked to a failure is a big deal to us
I don't know the specs and as I said before having a stuck plunger on a 9 yr old lifter that was in my old overheated melted down engines is hardly due to 5 minutes of runtime no matter what the specs. You saw the thread "what do these bearings tell you"? These were the lifters from those engines
Old 02-14-2016, 01:00 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

gotcha, just wondering why not run the cams you have then
Old 02-14-2016, 01:13 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

this thread has been a good one with a lot of good information.lets not fuk it up and get it locked or removed.also,imo if you have 16 lifters in a engine and one fails[colapse]soon after startup i think the problem is that lifter,not the cam lobe.i had this happen on 3 different engines on the dyno,twice with 5w30 oil.all 3 had different cams.bck,throw all 16 of your old lifters in the trash.they can only cause you problems that you don,t need.jmo.
Old 02-14-2016, 01:13 AM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

gotcha, just wondering why not run the cams you have then
My old cams were specd for wet exhaust, low compression (so I could run cheap gas) and because I didn't want drive problems I wanted to keep the rpm low. When the engines went south I decided to try to get some more power out of them because the boat they are in now doesn't have any of the old limitations. I can't afford to change blocks or cranks or heads so I decided to change the cams.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.