Notices

Off the shelf cam options for marine engines

Old 02-14-2016, 01:16 AM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
this thread has been a good one with a lot of good information.lets not fuk it up and get it locked or removed.also,imo if you have 16 lifters in a engine and one fails[colapse]soon after startup i think the problem is that lifter,not the cam lobe.i had this happen on 3 different engines on the dyno,twice with 5w30 oil.all 3 had different cams.bck,throw all 16 of your old lifters in the trash.they can only cause you problems that you don,t need.jmo.
Yes. All the lifters in both engines are being replaced. Not even taking the engine off the dyno. Hopefully up and running again Mon or Tue. The old engines peaked at 660 @ 5600 these were 660 @ 5400, 675 @ 5600 and still climbing but he said he could hear a rocker making noise and he was right.

Last edited by bck; 02-14-2016 at 01:26 AM.
Old 02-14-2016, 01:21 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
See it how you like, but I can tell you my goal is NOT to cause issues. Myself having concerns on this thread because for 1, I have not even come close to power goals, and 2 I could possibly have a recipe for issues in my engines now... So yes cam specs linked to a failure is a big deal to us
tim,you make it seem like your engines make no power,630 is not bad if you think about it.i would love to see how your engine would respond to a crane 139651 cam.i don,t remember your cam specs.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:48 AM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Whats your guys thoughts on valvetrain noise ?

Ever notice one cam can have a very quiet valvetrain, and another can be quite noisy, with the same lifter ? Why would that be ?
It starts at the lobe profile , goes to the valve train weight , ends at the spring rates .
When everythings right you can hear it on the Spintron , smooth , quiet , and it will make reliable power.
If it sounds like a hog eatin hickory nuts , its Thrashing and its gonna break ****. Power will suck because the valves cant seal.
If you watch the graphs on a Spintron , you can see the valve loft , watch it crash the lifter back on the back side of the cam .
Then you can see the push rod resonate from the impact , then the valve bounces from the Tuning Fork effect of the valve train trying to dampen out
the energy from the lifter to lobe crash.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:48 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 209 Likes on 133 Posts

no mine do ok, but lets face it, 630 out of a 540 is no home run at all... that's all I mean, I feel my valvetrain is compromised for making more power when it just does not, now if I saw the 68-700 mark I would understand the aggressive cam, I wish I knew more then, these make 30 more HP and 30 less TQ then my old engines that was VERY easy on valvetrain that's all.

cams now are 241/[email protected] 681/663 lift on a 112 LSA

I also think a 315 head would have done much better for me.

Originally Posted by mike tkach
tim,you make it seem like your engines make no power,630 is not bad if you think about it.i would love to see how your engine would respond to a crane 139651 cam.i don,t remember your cam specs.

Last edited by Full Force; 02-14-2016 at 07:54 AM.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:52 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 209 Likes on 133 Posts

all good, just asking.
Originally Posted by bck
My old cams were specd for wet exhaust, low compression (so I could run cheap gas) and because I didn't want drive problems I wanted to keep the rpm low. When the engines went south I decided to try to get some more power out of them because the boat they are in now doesn't have any of the old limitations. I can't afford to change blocks or cranks or heads so I decided to change the cams.
Old 02-14-2016, 09:24 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnitagain
It starts at the lobe profile , goes to the valve train weight , ends at the spring rates .
When everythings right you can hear it on the Spintron , smooth , quiet , and it will make reliable power.
If it sounds like a hog eatin hickory nuts , its Thrashing and its gonna break ****. Power will suck because the valves cant seal.
If you watch the graphs on a Spintron , you can see the valve loft , watch it crash the lifter back on the back side of the cam .
Then you can see the push rod resonate from the impact , then the valve bounces from the Tuning Fork effect of the valve train trying to dampen out
the energy from the lifter to lobe crash.
And when the valves are slamming shut and bouncing off their seats, power goes down, heat goes up. Even on what should have been milder cams, the unstable custom lobes caused significant damage to the valve seast. New AFR heads with less then 100 hours needed major work to fix the exhaust seats that had been pounded in to the head. The problem gets worse when the seat moves from the extreme heat and the valve seal gets worse. These were on 4400 max rpm engines. It was on two different engines and made me question the quality of the AFR heads before I realized completely what was going on.
Old 02-14-2016, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 791 Likes on 402 Posts

I find this thread amusing..we've gone full circle and now off the shelf cams are good.
I based most of my engines w/ off the shelf cams as well as head so the end user later down the line could get the original parts and have similar hp/tq.
I find it funny some of the fan boys(combo,combo,combo,you know who you are) are now agreeing on off the shelf cams when all they did was push custom.
I always liked the crane cams(even when I got flamed),lunati,erson,and even edelbrock,I run Isky now but have used them all,and w/ good results and longevity.
A quick internet search will show who who is truely 2 faced when it comes to cams,right HP1 and buddy(keep learning from others people hard work and call it your own).guess your trying a new line to get customers.
Old 02-14-2016, 10:13 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed
And when the valves are slamming shut and bouncing off their seats, power goes down, heat goes up. Even on what should have been milder cams, the unstable custom lobes caused significant damage to the valve seast. New AFR heads with less then 100 hours needed major work to fix the exhaust seats that had been pounded in to the head. The problem gets worse when the seat moves from the extreme heat and the valve seal gets worse. These were on 4400 max rpm engines. It was on two different engines and made me question the quality of the AFR heads before I realized completely what was going on.
I often wondered why a new lobe could be created from scratch so fast and be at your door step the next day. I was beginning to think that maybe Kip had a magical horse show up his rectum. But up to this point I didn't much question it because there really wasn't any reported failures. Or maybe I just didn't put two and two together. I also wondered why a guy of your caliber was having custom cams spec'd and put in your motors. And why you just didn't open up a lobe book and pick your own.

I had three different motor renditions that I worked like a mad man trying to get cooling temperatures under control. I finally did but in the process I spent thousands of dollars and even more man hours playing around with the cooling system. I wonder if valve bounce could have been the culprit all along...

At this point Alex do you have any idea (dollar wise) what this has cost you and your company?
Old 02-14-2016, 10:30 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Baja
I often wondered why a new lobe could be created from scratch so fast and be at your door step the next day. I was beginning to think that maybe Kip had a magical horse show up his rectum. But up to this point I didn't much question it because there really wasn't any reported failures. Or maybe I just didn't put two and two together. I also wondered why a guy of your caliber was having custom cams spec'd and put in your motors. And why you just didn't open up a lobe book and pick your own.

I had three different motor renditions that I worked like a mad man trying to get cooling temperatures under control. I finally did but in the process I spent thousands of dollars and even more man hours playing around with the cooling system. I wonder if valve bounce could have been the culprit all along...

At this point Alex do you have any idea (dollar wise) what this has cost you and your company?
Seems like it would be hard to cool the valve, when its bouncing off the seat?
Old 02-14-2016, 10:45 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Seems like it would be hard to cool the valve, when its bouncing off the seat?
May have had something to die with all the carbon in the intake runners.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.