Off the shelf cam options for marine engines >

Off the shelf cam options for marine engines

Notices

Off the shelf cam options for marine engines

Old 02-14-2016, 10:48 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Baja
I often wondered why a new lobe could be created from scratch so fast and be at your door step the next day. I was beginning to think that maybe Kip had a magical horse show up his rectum. But up to this point I didn't much question it because there really wasn't any reported failures. Or maybe I just didn't put two and two together. I also wondered why a guy of your caliber was having custom cams spec'd and put in your motors. And why you just didn't open up a lobe book and pick your own.

I had three different motor renditions that I worked like a mad man trying to get cooling temperatures under control. I finally did but in the process I spent thousands of dollars and even more man hours playing around with the cooling system. I wonder if valve bounce could have been the culprit all along...

At this point Alex do you have any idea (dollar wise) what this has cost you and your company?
is kip designing the cam or is he grinding a cam specked by a cam designer?i am curious as to how that part happens.
Old 02-14-2016, 10:57 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

From what I know Kip grinds what he is asked to...
Old 02-14-2016, 11:01 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
is kip designing the cam or is he grinding a cam specked by a cam designer?i am curious as to how that part happens.
Maybe I misunderstood the conversations. But, I was under the impression that Kip writes the lobes. At this point my personal oppinion on the matter is there is more than one person/ company to blame. Ask yourself this Mike. If you were subletting work from another company and you were producing garbage in the process would you let that stuff out your door? Myself I couldn't do it. I'm not that good of a business person. If someone brings me a job and wants me to do something sub-par I tell them to go down the street cause I'm not doing it. It's either my way or no way.

I will think long and hard before I do business with either company in the future.
Old 02-14-2016, 11:12 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure how it works, but I think that's correct. Bob specs the lobe and then Kip has some software that will write a cnc file to cut the lobe. I have used some Cam motion cams in the past with great results, and I know they are very concerned with lobe stability. I have personally seen where their milder profile made more power and was easier on parts in a 2500hp TT small block Ford. I think it's similar to the Merc CMI thing. Merc spec'd a part, and CMI delivered. They (merc) are technically the end user as far as cmi is concerned. I doubt Kip gets much feedback on the cams he grinds for Bob, because Bob refuses to accept that there could possibly be an issue with his designs.

Last edited by HaxbySpeed; 02-14-2016 at 11:13 AM. Reason: spell
Old 02-14-2016, 11:14 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Maybe I misunderstood the conversations. But, I was under the impression that Kip writes the lobes. At this point my personal oppinion on the matter is there is more than one person/ company to blame. Ask yourself this Mike. If you were subletting work from another company and you were producing garbage in the process would you let that stuff out your door? Myself I couldn't do it. I'm not that good of a business person. If someone brings me a job and wants me to do something sub-par I tell them to go down the street cause I'm not doing it. It's either my way or no way.

I will think long and hard before I do business with either company in the future.
It shouldnt matter if Marty Moose is grinding the cam. If the delivered product sucks, it sucks.

Last edited by MILD THUNDER; 02-14-2016 at 11:27 AM.
Old 02-14-2016, 11:30 AM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

FYI I think a person building an engine has to first define what the operating range and purpose will be for that engine, with that said I have gone to various cam companies and selected cams that I thought would be best for each application. some off the shelf and a limited amount custom ground by the leading cam companies, it al about what the end use will be. Examples my 427 Vette received a standard shelf Crane stick, my 302 ford motor (68 Cougar) received a shelf cam from Bullet, In my 69 Camaro 396 12.5:1 solid roller cam I had Comp grind me a custom cam (basic # as follows, event #s if interested can post later) intake duration 263.3 Ex 274, In lift .64814. Ex .64654 +4 deg Different base circles intake and Exhaust this cam is very easy on the valve train, Boat cams Harold Brookshire worked with me as I was doing extensive Cly. head testing and wanted to enhance mid range Cyl. filling we decided to go .609 lift with 238/ 246 duration very stable valve train and believe it or not combined with the correct Cyl. head work makes very respectable power. I run all these cars still today and my advise check around to all the well known companies and it you don't see what you want THEN have them grind you a custom stick for your desired results.

Last edited by abones; 02-14-2016 at 06:01 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-14-2016, 11:49 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great post Abones. The one thing I would hope people can learn from all this is, if you're going to have a custom cam ground, make sure whoever is doing it is using proven engineered lobes that have been tested. Every cam manufacturer has a catalog of lobes, and will know their characteristics. I think these "one off" lobes are even more of a problem then the sometimes compromised valve events. That being said, EVO needs to be in a safe range on boosted apps. Don't try to go after some free hp here on marine hydraulic roller engines
Old 02-14-2016, 11:55 AM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

How do you know if you have a one off lobe or a proven one etc. ? Even if someone gave you the specifics how would you know?
Old 02-14-2016, 12:00 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bck
How do you know if you have a one off lobe or a proven one etc. ? Even if someone gave you the specifics how would you know?
When the cam card/ print out from the cam doctor says custom its custom. Also if it has a BM stamped on the end of it that means it's custom.
Old 02-14-2016, 12:05 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

When the cam card/ print out from the cam doctor says custom its custom. Also if it has a BM stamped on the end of it that means it's custom.
But surely all customs can't be bad because they are all different. How do you differentiate?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.