SSM3, 4 and 5 >

SSM3, 4 and 5

Notices

SSM3, 4 and 5

Old 09-25-2002, 04:47 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SSM3, 4 and 5

Planning to upgrade my Top Gun from Bravo1 to SSM drives, can you help me with the basics?

What is the biggest differences between the SSM 3,4 and 5 drives?
Are they made for different applications?

Thanks
/Torbjorn
Old 09-25-2002, 06:31 AM
Dennis Moore

Default SSM

The difference is strength. The SSM III has been replaced with the SSMIIIA. Same dimensions on everything except for a stronger lower gearcase with stronger internal components.

The SSMIV is the same as the SSMIII except for the X dimension (it is a shorter drive for higher prop shaft dimensions) and no longer available, (with very few parts still available for rebuilds) it has been replaced by the SSMV.

The SSMV is also a shorter drive with the same internal components in the lower gearcase as the new SSMIIIA. It also has the same external dimensions in the upper drive shaft housing as the SSMIV but with stronger internal components.

In a nut shell, the SSMIIIA is a tall drive for a tall transom or lower prop dimensions and the SSMV is a shorter drive for shorter transoms or higher prop dimensions. Same internal components in the lower gearcases. Stronger internal components in the SSMV upper driveshaft housing than the SSMIIIA upper driveshaft housing (but this may have changed recently). Both the SSMIIIA and the SSMV use the Mercruiser III transom plate assy.

If you buy a used SSMIII you will not be able to buy any parts for rebuilding the lower gearcase, you will have to buy a SSMIIIA lower gearcase complete.

I rebuild these drives and I will tell you they are very time consuming. Labor costs alone on a drive rebuild is $1,000.00!
The price of parts (because they are manufactured in such limited quantities) is staggering!
They cannot be rebuilt without Mercruiser special tools and service manuals. The tool kits are about $5,000.00!

They are not bullet proof!

Dennis Moore
Mercruiser Master Technician
FAMILY AND PERFORMANCE BOATING MAGAZINE

Old 09-25-2002, 10:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dennis
Are III parts getting hard to find? I just had one rebuilt a year ago with no problems.

seabeach
Dennis pretty much covered it. If you're buying used/rebuilt, see if you can get a late gimbal housing. The early ones had a habit of cracking, especially with high hp and heavy boats.
Most high X dimension boats I've seen (cats) use a IV or V. Most V hulls use a III. And dont forget, you'll need a tranny with the SSM tailstock. It's different from the more common TRS tailstock.
Gary
Old 09-25-2002, 11:17 AM
Dennis Moore

Default Seabeach

If I recall correctly, the last one I rebuilt I had to find a used gearset somewhere. They were NLA from Mercruiser.
I haven't rebuilt a SSMIII in about a year so I am a little foggy on what parts aren't available.
Dennis

Old 09-25-2002, 11:26 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Comparison

Has anyone ever heard that the #5 drive is actually faster than the #6 drive. I have heard a lot of different views on the subject. Someone once told me once that the #5 will make the boat run faster than an identical boat set up with a #6.

Any truth to this rumor? Of course it is second hand info, just trying to confirm it?
Old 09-25-2002, 12:30 PM
Registered

I think strength is same .I also have the same idea for this winter.bravo to ssm5.it is also easier to find parts for rebuilt as I know.

I will buy used/rebuilt drives.But they are still expensive.

ssm 6 is the king of drives but very-very expensive. I never give that much to a drive.
Old 09-25-2002, 12:42 PM
Registered

*by the way there is ssm6 wet-sump priced betwen ssm5 and ssm6 dry sump.strong as dry sump

price is 8000 to 10000 each.
Old 09-25-2002, 02:10 PM
Dennis Moore

Default Faster?

I wouldn't doubt it! The gearcase is much smaller on the SSMV!
Dennis

Old 09-26-2002, 02:08 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you all for the input!!!

Had a pair of IV offered to me but reading your comments I think I pass that deal and either upgrade the Bravos or looking for newer SSM drives.

Thanks again!!
/Torbjorn
Old 10-04-2002, 09:14 PM
rhino

VI's are the Cadillac of drives to be sure. The dry sumps actually consume less HP than V drives but they are heavy and VERY expensive. If you are planning a twin application you have all the steering parts to deal with on Vs' also. Just a tie bar and mount for VIs'. Definitely forget the IVs' and IIIs' as parts are rare or big bucks for what you end up with. If you can afford the VIs' go for it, you can run them a very long time with little maintenance. Much pleasure is gained from lack of "down" time!

Quick Reply: SSM3, 4 and 5

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.