Newbie needs advice on which boat

Notices

Newbie needs advice on which boat

Old 05-17-2016, 12:00 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,168 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by getrdunn
Some good thinking (weight) however with that said what do you haul boats with in Thailand? I noticed in the movie hangover 2 the marinas were pretty full.
Regulations for towing are very vague and not enforced anyway. Trailers are crap, no brakes or lights and boats are rarely tied down.
Tow vehicles don't exist, import taxes make it totally prohibitive. Biggest tow rigs are generally a Ford Ranger Wildtrack or a Hilux. Towing spec is 3500 kgs (about 7700 lbs) My boat sits on her trailer at the marina and launched by tractor.

The Hangover movie..... I couldn't stand it. Made stupid Aussies look even worse than real life! Also, I think they went from Pattaya Beach to Krabi or Phuket by boat. Not possible, it's on the other side of the peninsula, you would have to travel down the eastern peninsula of Malaysia, round Singapore at the bottom and then up the western side to get back to Phuket! Probably 2,000 nautical miles. Yeah right!

Rant over, enjoy your day boating fans!

RR
Old 05-17-2016, 07:37 AM
Registered

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

In my opinion, a 35' Fountain is very trailer-able. I can't get in and out of every gas station, so I have to plan a little in advance - however its not too big to trailer around town (New York - no way!.... in Kentucky, no problem)
Old 05-17-2016, 11:11 AM
Registered

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

The boat in Hangover II was a Baja .38 Special
Old 05-17-2016, 02:44 PM
Registered

Received 144 Likes on 96 Posts

What's your tow rig? Pulling isn't that hard but the fun and games start when trying to stop, but a bigger problem is insurance. If your boat's weight exceeds the rated towing capacity then insurance is pretty much null and void.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The towing unit isn't a problem, I just don't want to keep in the salt water and I live by the ocean. The boat launch is just down the street. I'd like to be able to park it in my driveway so I can clean and oogle it easier.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:12 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,272 Likes on 556 Posts

That looks to be about 50 mile across or so. How exactly do you plan on using this boat?
I don't know that I'd want a traditional go-fast boat for crossing 50 miles of open snotty water on a regular basis.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:53 PM
Registered

Received 144 Likes on 96 Posts

I would think that you'd want a cabin cruiser up there. I'd say to just start shopping and post your findings for the peanut gallery to critique. The only advice I have is to make that you love it because it can be a trying relationship. Lol.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its 26 miles across and sometimes its close to flat. So 30 minute crossing? It wouldn't be a "regular" thing, just a couple of times a month. Of course I'd check the forecast.

A cabin cruiser was on my list but leaving it in the water would be more of a commitment.

I know "trying relationships" as I just finished restoring a '71 GTX that went fantastically over budget.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:49 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,272 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by NOrrTH
Its 26 miles across and sometimes its close to flat. So 30 minute crossing? It wouldn't be a "regular" thing, just a couple of times a month. Of course I'd check the forecast.

A cabin cruiser was on my list but leaving it in the water would be more of a commitment.

I know "trying relationships" as I just finished restoring a '71 GTX that went fantastically over budget.
If it were me, I'd be going for a center console boat, with a full wrap around console enclosure; and outboards that are easier to maintain in the salt environment, and you can tilt them up/out of the water AND flush them clean, without taking the boat out of the water.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:09 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Pics of the GTX please!