500 efi noise re-visited >

500 efi noise re-visited

Notices

500 efi noise re-visited

Old 06-05-2016, 10:09 AM
Registered

Received 798 Likes on 377 Posts
Default 500 efi noise re-visited

So we have been dealing with valve train noise ever since motors were rebuilt. Yesterday we popped covers and ran with them off. Trying to pin point problematic lifter. We learned a few new things:

1. Lifter noise comes and goes. Will go away for a minute or two then return. Then goes away etc. does this at cold and hot.

2. Felt for vertical play in all the rockers, didn't feel any.

3. Re-adjusted valve lash on several what we thought problematic valves, no change.

4. Put fingers on each rocker as it made the noise in attempts to take out valve train slop. Did nothing. Nor did any feel loose.

Kinda of stumped. Short of tearing the top end down to inspect lifters not sure what else to do. We checked geometry everything looks good. Tips were on the center of every valve as we cranked over the motor. We didn't check all of the push rods maybe one is bent? But noise wouldn't come and go? Only thing I can think of is lifter bleeding down then pumping up again? Oil pressure is 45-55 psi. Note we have 2 motors and both do the same exact thing.
Old 06-05-2016, 11:14 AM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

At least you dug into it to confirm what was going on. Without a doubt it would drive nuts also even if THEY claim no big deal, shut the hatch and go back to boating. I just don't have a place for noise like that and personally feel in the long run premature wear will show up somewhere. Did you call the lifter company yet? If I recall these were the same lifter as 4603 but different brand. I think just for a little assurance I'd confirm the lifter that the efi uses and go with them. You were using the stock efi cam spring correct? Sorry I had a busy week and can't remember 100% of your other thread. Unless for some odd reason the company your using now says this goes away after so many miles and or hours. Even then I'd be a little skeptical just cause this would naturally be the easiest thing for them to say amd just hope you go away and just get use to the issue at hand.

Are you able to confirm throughout the rpm when the noise all together goes away. If not you have to wonder how much hp this is robbing also. I recall posting on your other thread about the problems I had with some valvetrain problems due to custom ground hyd cams. I went with all the correct recommendations and had issues issues but we caught it right away thanks to the dyno. My bsfc were all over the map from pull to pull. Ended up being a combination of things but where it stemmed from was an aggressive lobe comp and I had agreed to use. I probably could have gotten the right combo with springs and lifters to solve the problem and remained hyd but just changed springs and went with solid rollers. Problem solved. Competition cams was a little baffled by outcome however they learned something also. It was frustrating and costly however I didn't have the time try this, try that, different configurations as mentioned. I just wanted to be done with it. Not recommending you to do this what so ever as your combo is very common and without a doubt in my opinion is the lifters. I just thought I'd let you know your not alone at all with your problem. There has to be multiple lifters that will work just fine but once again to be safe I'd just use whatever comes on the 500 efi. It's pretty amazing when dig right down into it how many different part numbers there are for hyd lifters matching to correct lobes/cams. While I was surfing some BBC hyd roller shelf cams a while back I was pretty surprised with some even though the cams were so similar but the ramp speeds etc a little different.

Last edited by getrdunn; 06-05-2016 at 11:28 AM.
Old 06-05-2016, 11:35 AM
Registered

Talked to the lifter company all week. Only thing they offered is for me to return them for inspection. If found faulty they would send me new ones but wouldn't cover labor. Shocker there.

Agreed the noise is unacceptable. It will ultimately beat itself to death over time.

You are right we left stock cam in and went with RL931 which are rebranded morels.

The interesting part is both motors do it. Same noise. Same intermittency. Strange but if lifters are from same lot it could be there are a few bad ones. But why would they pump up then bleed down? The inconsistency of it makes me think it's not a pre load issue. And it's not debris in the lifter.
Old 06-05-2016, 11:38 AM
Registered

With regard to the spring we went with isky 8205 plus which many have used on these forums. We didn't use a standard GM lifter because spring pressure was bumped to 160#. It's a known fact that Mercury set super low spring pressures from factory. Usually 120#. Problem is instability in the valve train. 160# isn't abnormally high but was told to use better lifters with this setup.
Old 06-05-2016, 12:03 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,182 Likes on 1,437 Posts

I thought the 500EFI used Crane .300 long body lifters . Not GM.
Old 06-05-2016, 12:26 PM
Registered

I heard the same thing from crower when I had failure. Send them all in and they will check each one and if they found a bad one they'd replace. Pretty common practice. Not always what you want to hear though I understand.

What I find really strange though is the consistency between the two engines. Wtf... I would imagine this has you scratching your head. With that said I'm sure you can understand why I did what I did. For starters as I'm sure you'd agree is not to use those lifters at least with the springs. I'm sure they'd be fine with lifter spring pressures. But like you said 160 isn't a bunch by any means but enough to obviously be a concern with these. What is your open pressure? Around 450?

A thought that just come to mind given the two engines reacting the same is it possible with certain cylinders having more pressures at some point of the rotation due to some closing, some opening, etc, etc. kinda like when you roll engine over with no plugs in it with the top end assembled you can feel the more difficult parts of the rotation from springs opening as well as relief from closing. You get the idea what I'm saying. So is it possible some lifters are seeing more pressures at certain points of the revolution? Obviously high rpm with this analogy would go out the window but yet does it still exist? Just a though and maybe it's my hangover today but think about it? Maybe I am out to lunch but...

Last edited by getrdunn; 06-05-2016 at 12:29 PM.
Old 06-05-2016, 12:37 PM
Registered

I guess what I'm trying to say do some lifters see more pressures than others and if they are questionable with the said spring pressures could this play a part? I wouldn't think it would be an issue with the 8205's plus but is it?
Old 06-05-2016, 04:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB
I thought the 500EFI used Crane .300 long body lifters . Not GM.
Sorry you are right. Long body retrofit cranes. They are not GM's.
Old 06-05-2016, 04:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by getrdunn
I guess what I'm trying to say do some lifters see more pressures than others and if they are questionable with the said spring pressures could this play a part? I wouldn't think it would be an issue with the 8205's plus but is it?
These lifters are rated for a lot more than 160. I think they can do over 200#
Old 06-05-2016, 04:30 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,168 Likes on 1,411 Posts

how far after 0 lash are they turned down

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.