Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
clear (dry or glazed) plug fouling???  Stumped.... >

clear (dry or glazed) plug fouling??? Stumped....

Notices

clear (dry or glazed) plug fouling??? Stumped....

Old 06-08-2016, 11:32 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,277 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Since he changed one engine'splugs and it fired right up, and the other engine didn't until he did change those, I would go with that 1st and just try another set.

I believe his NGK's cross to a 42 Heat Range Delco. So, MR42T.

Difference would be the NGK's he has are not a resistor plug and the Delco's are.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:37 AM
SB
Registered

What kills me here, is that is the main reason of using a MSD box. Enough power to fire off crappy condition plugs. Almost makes you wonder how the grounds are ? Do you knowhow many engines I find with the heads threaded holes that are used for grounds full of paint ? People love there paint !

I typically go one step further, and run a ground from the other cylinder head to that stud also, ust to make sure everythings grounded well. Clean those grounds ! Especially the threaded hole that you are grounding too. This goes for alternator brackets and their bolts and threaded attachment points.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:50 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,223 Likes on 1,439 Posts

that's why the grounding studs are on the bellhousings..............speaking of grounding, how important is it to ground engine to engine ?? I ask because when I pulled my 502's years ago they were tied together with a big black cable.

Last edited by F-2 Speedy; 06-08-2016 at 11:54 AM.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:55 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Just as important as the positives ^
Old 06-08-2016, 11:58 AM
Registered

Received 67 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
What kills me here, is that is the main reason of using a MSD box. Enough power to fire off crappy condition plugs. Almost makes you wonder how the grounds are ? Do you knowhow many engines I find with the heads threaded holes that are used for grounds full of paint ? People love there paint !

I typically go one step further, and run a ground from the other cylinder head to that stud also, ust to make sure everythings grounded well. Clean those grounds ! Especially the threaded hole that you are grounding too. This goes for alternator brackets and their bolts and threaded attachment points.
Just some really good advice here (for all), whether or not this is your issue. Bad grounds are almost always the last thing considered, yet easy and cheap to rule out. The easiest way to learn this is to own an old Fiat at some point in your life
Old 06-08-2016, 11:59 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
Since he changed one engine'splugs and it fired right up, and the other engine didn't until he did change those, I would go with that 1st and just try another set.

I believe his NGK's cross to a 42 Heat Range Delco. So, MR42T.

Difference would be the NGK's he has are not a resistor plug and the Delco's are.
Showing my ignorance here, but why would a resistor plug be any better? Other than help with stereo interference? I have been searching for the heat range differences. Higher number NGK is colder, higher AC is hotter. I think the -8 probably would be a 42.

Originally Posted by SB

I will definitely pull the grounds and check the mating surfaces and double check tightness.
Old 06-08-2016, 12:10 PM
SB
Registered

Originally Posted by 33outlawsst
that's why the grounding studs are on the bellhousings...............
What - I'm not on a car forum ? Ha ! :braindead:

I see the bellhousing stud threads (in block) - thank you - all painted up too.

What would someone say if a boat i worked on a few years ago had no issues other than an extended amt of time of cranking over condition because of a leaking quadraet main plug. which I repaired and all was well after. Fired right up. No draining issues.

So....this same boat next spring is due for cap/rotor/plugs and wires...while routing the wires and touching the big ground wire, the stud moved. I was like, what ? The fuker wasn't even threaded into the block. In dismay, I moved stud further from block/bellhousing and the motor cranked and fired right up and all worked with no issue. WTF ? Is this magic ? Only one ground cable from battery (2nd battery grounded to main battery) to block. All the little grounds ran to this stud. I spent a few hrs looking for another way this engine was grounded and could find none. I still scratch my head on that one as the amt of issues I still see to this day from seemingly good grounds, but apparently not good enough, causing minor to maor issues. Engine was a basic small block with quadrajet and TBV.

Last edited by SB; 06-08-2016 at 12:31 PM. Reason: I do not have an extended crank either
Old 06-08-2016, 12:13 PM
SB
Registered

Originally Posted by Bill 3
Showing my ignorance here, but why would a resistor plug be any better? Other than help with stereo interference? .
I was just noting the only difference in specs. Was not getting into the difference resistor vs non resistor can make.
Old 06-08-2016, 12:20 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,223 Likes on 1,439 Posts

extended crank I get this now..........you mean it was hard to start. Ive heard of an extended crank before but don't own one.....lol
Old 06-08-2016, 12:29 PM
SB
Registered

LOL. I edited it to avoid confusion. Also note my 'reason for editing'note. HAH !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.