Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Questions about Aeromotive fuel system upgrade on procharged 7.4 >

Questions about Aeromotive fuel system upgrade on procharged 7.4

Notices

Questions about Aeromotive fuel system upgrade on procharged 7.4

Old 10-01-2002, 02:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, it is recommended that a mechanical pressure gauge (NOT liquid filled or dampened) be install in a "T" at the fuel rail. There should be very little oscillation of pressure with the engine running and steady when off (pump running). If there is an oscilation that exceeds 2-4#, shorten the line between the regulator & fuel rail. If length is excessive the fuel pressure can vary up to 40#, and will NOT be detected by an electric gauge sender. I proved it!
Just a little more info for you!!
Old 10-01-2002, 04:48 PM
blue64drop

thanks for all the info guys.

between the procharger, the gil manifolds\risers, and the single plane manifold, you think i'll wake that 330HP 7.4 up a little??

i'm hoping to get ~ 10-15 MPH increase. we'll see.

i'm sure i'll be doing a late october-early november run\re-winterize

Old 10-02-2002, 03:14 PM
1975 X-18 Donzi, Arneson
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ned,
I just spoke to KE and Brett at Aeromotive two weeks ago.
Aeromotive says only a 100 micron filter, with with no less then 60 square inches of filter surface, should be between the tank and the pump!!! Use a -10 (1/2") fuel line from the tank. Make sure you have an 1/2" fuel pick up in your tank!! Most are 3/8".
The problem is where do you put thew water separator?
Aeromotive said do not put the water separator before the pump!!! They said they will be doing some testing on KE water separator to see if it meets there requirements.
After the pump, then the pump can see moisture and the water separator is not rated for very high fuel pressure, ( some do not have a rating others are rated for 90 psi) this does not seam safe!!!. Aeromotive says to use high pressure 150psi minimum on all fuel lines and connections after the pump!! And if you install the water seperator after the pump it will not work to well, the water will be so mixed with the fuel after going though the pump. I spoke to a few other marine shops and the best solution I could find is to install the water separator on the return line back to the tank. ( lower pressure). But this means the engine could see water???
Aeromotive also recommends using there 10 micron filter after the fuel pump. This will clean the fuel more and if you have a pump failure will catch any debris.
The answer is there is no good solution. GEOO

Last edited by GEOO; 10-02-2002 at 03:20 PM.