Notices

Jetting question. Primaries larger than secondaries

Old 06-28-2016, 08:27 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fbc25el
From Holley?
Yes, look up the Holley 4781 here - http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...al_listing.pdf

Front and rear 6.5 PV. 80 jets all in both in it's stock form.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:53 AM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill 3
Put O2 bungs in over the winter. Finally close to getting the carburetors dialed in. NA 515 cu.in. 850 holley's (4150), just under 600hp on the dyno. 6.5 PV front and back, Jets 88 front, 87 rear. I pull about 8" of vacuum at cruise.

In my cruise range, AFR is bouncing around 13 and my WOT is in the upper 10s.

I need to jump to probably 90 in the front (to get closer to 12) and possibly drop to 86 or 85 in the rear (to try and end up around 11.5).

Seems odd to me that according to the O2 sensors, I need this much more jetting in the primaries.

Is this something I should be concerned about? Possibly the wrong carburetors for the application?

Try 6.5 PV in Primary, block the Secondary. Jet 80 Primary and 88 Secondary and see where you are then. I think it will be real close, maybe a bit on the rich side.
Mark
Old 06-28-2016, 01:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by GETTINBYE
Try 6.5 PV in Primary, block the Secondary. Jet 80 Primary and 88 Secondary and see where you are then. I think it will be real close, maybe a bit on the rich side.
Mark
I'm still learning here, but I don't see how removing the rear PV and dropping jet sizes would make me rich? My biggest concern right now is my lean cruise.
Old 06-28-2016, 01:03 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I am intrigued by the 1:1 throttle secondary linkage. May start a new thread to discuss this further.
Old 06-28-2016, 01:42 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill 3
I'm still learning here, but I don't see how removing the rear PV and dropping jet sizes would make me rich? My biggest concern right now is my lean cruise.
Just suggesting a pretty common and proven combo. Used very close to that with an 800 Holley several years back. In my particular application it was a bit on the rich side. If I remember correctly I used 78-86. I fully understand your lean concerns.

Mark
Old 06-28-2016, 02:14 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
Joe has a lot of great carb info, however I feel 1:1 will be horrible . Throttles will be too sensitive (oops, didn't want that much power - think docking at etc) and air speed will be down when starting to accelerate....will take a bit for the boosters to get going.

And if I'm wrong, which is very possible, what do you do about the accelerator pumps ? Every touch of the throttle will be a ton of fuel.

IMHO - let's get this thing to work as a normal carb before trying other more unconventional things.
SB, the shop that dyno'd my motor had a guy in house who used to work for Quick Fuel and was supposed to be very knowledgeable on carbs. As the OP has said, for a marine engine a standard dyno session doesn't necessarily give you all the information you need. Most of us don't go from idle to WFO all the time when running our boats, and when we do, we hold it open for way longer than a few seconds. I was concerned about a number of things that might rear their heads on my motor at high speed cruising RPM's - jetting for one, but also oil control, as in making sure it was getting back to the pan to prevent any starvation (getting off tangent here). So I talked them into doing a steady-state test at around 3800 RPM with a good load on the engine, while we watched oil pressure and AFR's. After about 3 minutes, AFR's started getting into the 14's and the exhaust tubes started getting hot, especially on the back cylinders. Instead of just changing the jetting, he was concerned with even fuel distribution, so his idea was to switch from the progressive linkage to a 1:1 linkage. This still has enough slop in it to allow the primaries to open by themselves for most low speed cruising, but it starts to get the secondaries and their jets into the picture sooner so that some of the mixture is going through them while the primaries are not open as much for a given power level. When we ran the test again, it solved the problem, and didn't force us to jet way up on the primary side.

I was concerned that this would result in the boat using a lot more fuel, but I really haven't seen that.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:00 PM
Registered

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

You might have to play with the main air bleeds may be go just a little .001 or .002 smaller for the mid range then for the wide open take a little main jet out.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:30 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Update.....

I am up to 90 jets with 6.5 PV primary and 98 jets no PV secondary. I'm getting pretty close, under 13 afr at cruise.

Regarding power valves... I understand what makes them open (a vacuum lower than the PV number), but when should they be open? For instance when I am at the top of my primary (just before secondary starts to open), should the PV be open? Is it only for lower vacuum situations like accelerating or WOT? My vacuum is rarely below my PV value until closer to WOT.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:08 PM
Registered

Received 4,813 Likes on 1,365 Posts

I`m tired of the powervalves. My carbs are boost referenced so pretty much anytime I`m on plane it`s open and there`s unmetered extra fuel dumping down the carb.

Too rich at 3000 , too lean at 4000.

I`m going to eliminate the power valve and jet up 10 sizes and see what happens. I`d rather pull metered fuel out of the jets than just dump it in.

After that it`s time for EFI and get out of this 1960 technology.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:28 AM
Registered

with that engine size and HP you would be much better of using dominators at this point

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.